Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Stay with ripsaw tires or upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stay with ripsaw tires or upgrade?

I'm new to the wraith scene. I picked up a used wraith and it has ripsaw tires with some closed cell single stage foams. On my Scx10's I put proline tsl xl tires and ci duel stage foams and they are awesome. So should I stick with the ripsaw tires and just get some ci duel stage foams or should I go ahead and get different tires as well? I will be using it for crawling and trailing nothing fast.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stay with ripsaw tires or upgrade?

The Ripsaws are a capable tire with a good compound so it's not an essential upgrade.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

I would stay with ripsaws for now. But if you start upgrading your truck you might need some better tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mudman270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Agreed with the last 2 replies. I would take that money you were going to spend on tires and use them towards upgrading the steering links and or suspension links. If you already have them then start saving for better c-hubs, knuckles, and lockouts. Those ripsaws are fine for trailing and some mild crawling.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Are the stock ripsaws R35?
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
Are the stock ripsaws R35?
If they came in the kit? Yes. If it came on a RTR? No.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

From what I understand the Spawn RTR comes with R35's but I could be wrong.
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad2k View Post
From what I understand the Spawn RTR comes with R35's but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
If they came in the kit? Yes. If it came on a RTR? No.
From what I've read all the current RtR's and kits come with R35 compound tires, whether it's the BF Goodrich, Falken, Handkook, Ripsaw or Maxxis tires. Reading the product, parts and tires pages and various manuals it seems all the tires Axial currently offers are R35, whether in a kit or RtR, 2.2" or 1.9" or their short course 2.2/3.0" tires (EXO buggy).

I have yet to see any other compound in their tires. Might have been different when they were getting tires from Pro-Line, but it appears R35 is Axials one and only compound now.

Axial Racing - tires

Part number for the stock Spawn tire is AX12015, bottom of page 21 and very first part in the parts list on page 22 in the Spawn manual. It's the same number as the Wraith kit tire, top of page 39, bottom of page 45 and the fourth item in the parts list on page 46 in the Wraith kit manual. If you look closely at the pictures below (from Spawn Overview page) you'll see the part number (AX12015) on the right front and left front tires at the 3 O'clock position.

Axial Racing - 2.2 Ripsaw Tires - R35 Compound AX12015 (2pcs)

Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I wonder when 'Current' started. The BFG on my Spyder are the crap s40 compound. I could chuck them through a window they are that hard!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I wonder when 'Current' started. The BFG on my Spyder are the crap s40 compound. I could chuck them through a window they are that hard!
The PS wraith has never stated they came with r35, it states clearly high durability s40 compound.

The ripsaws are acceptable, they don't clear out the best, but do offer pretty decent traction.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
RCC Addict

'high durability s40 compound'....I have verified this with a Angle Grinder. The BFG remain un-phased.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Quote:
No idea if or when they may have changed the tires, but it seems you can't find the "durable high mileage S40 compound" BFGoodrich or any other S40 tire anywhere but on the Poison Spyder. Looking at a set of new Spawn pull-off tires & wheels on e-Bay, it appears there's no white dot on the tires to indicate the R35 compound. Could have been removed by the seller, but it's also possible the Spawn tires are not R35 despite the part numbers being the same. The BFGoodrich have no part number on them in either compound and the part numbers in the manuals (Wraith kit, Spawn & Poison Spyder) lead back to the R35 tires.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
'high durability s40 compound'....I have verified this with a Angle Grinder. The BFG remain un-phased.
I hear ya. I don't know why they decided to give that tire with the PS. Its one of the most useless tires I have dealt with. I took the foams out and they still had barely any deformation over rocks.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ah, didn't know they made the R35 their main tire compound. Good to know.

If you're not happy with the ripsaws there's plenty of threads and videos out on how to modify the tread patterns for better grip.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #15

Got a yet I for Xmas with the bfg tires. Though they were good until I bought a wraith with the ripsaws. I gotta say I love the ripsaw tires compared to the bfgs. Could be the compound. Idk
95yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I don't think the Spawn ripsaws are R35. Could be wrong, but they don't feel that way to me. As has been discussed in other threads, the part #'s are all the same because they come from the same mold regardless of compound.
Boover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Right, my Ripsaws suck lol.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boover View Post
I don't think the Spawn ripsaws are R35. Could be wrong, but they don't feel that way to me. As has been discussed in other threads, the part #'s are all the same because they come from the same mold regardless of compound.
Yeah, was mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Looking at a set of new Spawn pull-off tires & wheels on e-Bay, it appears there's no white dot on the tires to indicate the R35 compound. Could have been removed by the seller, but it's also possible the Spawn tires are not R35 despite the part numbers being the same.
Rubber compound can make or break any given tire, the stock Slash BF Goodrich and Kuhmo tires a worthless, but the exact same tire in the Traxxas "S1 Ultra Soft" compound are great performers. Not what I would call "ultra soft" but very similar compound to Pro-Line M3 or J-Concepts soft.

People tend to blame the tires (tread pattern) for poor performance, but it's usually a medium or firm rubber compound causing the problem. Same tire in the softer compounds generally work much better. Which is why we're seeing "Ripsaw's suck" and "Ripsaw's are great". The Ripsaw tread design isn't the problem, it's the medium or firm compound with some of the RtR's.

Last edited by Eric0424; 03-25-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Forgot the o in J-Concepts...
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #19

I bought a used Wraith as my first crawler and thought I was doing pretty good with it but it seemed like I had to throttle through everything. Then I hung out with a guy with a Honcho and some proline tsl's and his truck ate mine up. His tires are way softer and stickier. He could just drive up this rock face that I can barely full throttle up. His RC buddy keeps telling me that ripsaws are a great tire but mine suck horribly. I hope the flat irons I ordered are better. I ordered a set of Gmade mudrock beadlocks before reading the reviews. Now I'm worried I just blew my wheel budget on junk...
Therichardpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therichardpowell View Post
I bought a used Wraith as my first crawler and thought I was doing pretty good with it but it seemed like I had to throttle through everything. Then I hung out with a guy with a Honcho and some proline tsl's and his truck ate mine up. His tires are way softer and stickier. He could just drive up this rock face that I can barely full throttle up. His RC buddy keeps telling me that ripsaws are a great tire but mine suck horribly. I hope the flat irons I ordered are better. I ordered a set of Gmade mudrock beadlocks before reading the reviews. Now I'm worried I just blew my wheel budget on junk...

Eh, sometimes those reviews are tricky. And you see what a difference tire compound can make! Flat Irons are a good tire, I have no experience with the Gmade wheels though. I know my Trail Ready wheels have bad reviews, adn they are working fine for me.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stay with ripsaw tires or upgrade? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better tires that stay on stock wheels hpiontherocks Axial Yeti 9 03-10-2015 05:13 PM
Making tires stay in beadlocks. gbean Tires and Wheels 8 05-22-2013 08:27 AM