Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Terrible1's Wraith IFS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Terrible1's Wraith IFS

So I finally decided it was time for me to put together another Wraith. I know this has been done plenty of times before but, this one I'm making my own. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to do a conversion on one of my Bombers or start this. So naturally, I chose both! (My DMG B1B Kit is on its way as I type) Anyways, moving on...I have been running the same Wraith as my crawler/trail rig for so long now simply because it's been my "Rock". Even over both of my Bomber's, I've always favored the Wraith platform! Insert pics:

So this time around, I'm going "Go Fast"! My plan is to put together a Wraith based, IFS rig with rear trailing arms. Only I have plans for using a Yeti length rear end to get more travel and stability. I'll have to play with track width once I get to that bridge.
To start, I picked up a BMRC conversion kit (among other things)from jeeprc here on RCC. Thanks again! Found a donor cage w/skid and some Yeti front end parts I had buried in my collection of misc parts.

I also found a set of VP knuckles, caster & Axial toe blocks at my LHS.
That's where I'm at so far. But... Here's what's on the way:

1. BGR KOH cage
2. BGR Rear Shock Tower
3. Metal Concepts front A-Arms
4. Metal Concepts rear trailing arms & upper links
5. Metal Concepts rear axle assembly
6. SSD high ratio trans
7. MIP drivelines
8. VP axles

I have spare sets of Axial Yeti and Bomber shocks to clean up, rebuild and research what spring rates I want to run as well. I already know I'm running the Yeti rears but, I'm not sure yet about the fronts. Again, it'll all depend on fitment once I have things mocked up and at roller status. As far as motor/esc, I'm still up in the air. I have a new MMX that I've been holding onto for something but, I may end up just pulling the trigger on another all HH set up. There's still a lot of details to work out though before I get there. I think my biggest challenge will be suspension set up and figuring out a sway bar mount. Stay tuned for more to come...
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Terrible1's Wraith IFS

Looks like it'll be a winner.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This is going to be shweeeet! Glad my IFS bomber wont be a loner around town. Lol.

Get ready for a lot of people asking, isn't that just a yeti?!?!? Lol.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! And yes 84yoda, we will be running them as soon as they're both done! Lol! I'm expecting the Yeti question already but hey... there's a reason why I don't own one. I just don't care for how they look. Seems shallow I guess but, to each his own.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Definitely sub'd.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Thanks guys! And yes 84yoda, we will be running them as soon as they're both done! Lol! I'm expecting the Yeti question already but hey... there's a reason why I don't own one. I just don't care for how they look. Seems shallow I guess but, to each his own.
Exactly.

We'll just make ours out perform the yeti's up at auburn's race track. Then they will understand.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Steering will be your biggest hurdle as it was for me. Since you're building a go fast, it may not be as much of an issue. With that list of parts, she sure will look all business.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Steering will be your biggest hurdle as it was for me. Since you're building a go fast, it may not be as much of an issue. With that list of parts, she sure will look all business.
Good point. I have my reservations about how well the steering is going to perform but, you're right about the application. I'm hoping that (like most of my go fast rigs) I won't need to worry about it. None of my trucks see a competitive track and I'm typically pretty good with using throttle control in turns. I've already had to make adjustments up front because I didn't like the positioning of the steering links vs the camber links (way too much of a difference in angle). I'll have to wait until I have it powered up and rolling before I can make any real judgements.

My parts list is the biggest reason I wanted to do this build. I've been looking for an excuse to get my hands on Metal Concepts parts outside of building a trophy truck. I'm hoping my "vision" pans out...
Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You will love the wraith as a go fast with yeti trailing arms in the back, mine isn't ifs though but has an open front diff.

You are most likely going to have to cut part of the rear cage off though to mount the shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
You will love the wraith as a go fast with yeti trailing arms in the back, mine isn't ifs though but has an open front diff.

You are most likely going to have to cut part of the rear cage off though to mount the shocks

I'm looking forward to it! I was looking at the rear of the cage and I see what you're saying. I have a BGR rear shock tower coming that I'm hoping gives me the upper mounting options I'll need with the trailing arm set up. From what i can tell from looking at the lower rear section of the cage, i may be losing most if not all of it depending on where the shocks land. I'll be posting more pics and what I find as I get there. Thanks for the insight though!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I used a DMG stiffy kit for my Blue Monkey trailing arms. It was perfect.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it! I was looking at the rear of the cage and I see what you're saying. I have a BGR rear shock tower coming that I'm hoping gives me the upper mounting options I'll need with the trailing arm set up. From what i can tell from looking at the lower rear section of the cage, i may be losing most if not all of it depending on where the shocks land. I'll be posting more pics and what I find as I get there. Thanks for the insight though!

I'm running team associated big bores with the stock shock mounts and I had to cut off most of the lower section. I'd also add a sway bar to it, I'm running the axial option one for the wraith

c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I originally thought about a DMG kit but I already own one of them. I wanted to do something different. I kept looking at the mount positions on the BGR Shock tower and they looked to be where I wanted them. I'm planning on running Yeti length shocks in the rear without having to do any major repositioning. The idea is to have a long travel shock to mimic a trophy truck's suspension. I'm curious to see where the lower shock mounts line up vs the upper with the longer trailing arms. I tried mocking up a set of UCFab Wraith length TA's and they seemed way too short in accordance to the stock upper shock mounting position. I'll have to wait and see when parts start rolling in.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Cool. I'm curious to see where it all lines up.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Cool. I'm curious to see where it all lines up.
Lol! Me too!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Alright so I did get some parts in today. The rear links, trailing arms, front a-arms, BGR Shock tower and my SSD trans. Here's a few pics:

I didn't realize the Wraith length TA's were this much shorter...

I've already got some of it mocked up, I'll post some pics shortly.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The Wraith length TAs are not that much shorter. Those are a lot longer than Yeti/Bomber length. Here's Yeti/Bomber, Wraith, and Twin Hammers length. They may have sent you the wrong ones.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 11-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
The Wraith length TAs are not that much shorter. Those are a lot longer than Yeti/Bomber length.
You're right Screamer, I just pulled out some stock plastics. I forgot, Metal Concepts TA's mount under their axle, not in front. Hence the added length.

I just measured eyelet to eyelet and they're just about 6 3/8". That supposedly is just about where they list their Yeti length arms at on their website.

Last edited by Terrible1; 11-14-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Right, I forgot the ideal mounting location is under axle. Those Metal Concepts pieces sure are works of art, I can't wait to see this thing as a roller.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've already got some of it mocked up, I'll post some pics shortly.
.....and then?

Terrible1's Wraith IFS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible1's His (& Hers) Bomber Build(s) Terrible1 Axial RR10 Bomber 32 01-29-2017 06:38 PM
Terrible1's YXL Evolution Terrible1 Axial Yeti XL 25 02-19-2016 07:12 PM
Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith. 89redranger Axial Wraith 7 03-30-2014 08:24 PM