Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith Owner - Few Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Default New Wraith Owner - Few Questions

Hello All,

Just picked up a like new Spawn RTR off of Craig's. I like upgrades so I was originally looking at the kit but for $200, I felt like the used RTR was a good deal.

The goal is for this to be 75% crawling, 25% trail. Following the beginners guide, this is what my cart currently looks like for "stage 1" upgrades:

Incision Wraith Stainless Steel Link Set
Vanquish Knuckles & Chubs
Axial AR60 Universal's
MIP Drive Shafts
Proline PowerStrokes

What I could use help on is the electronics.

Brushed Route - From what I've read on here, this seams to be a highly rated combo. What's a quality battery for this setup?
  • TorqueMaster Pro 540 35T
  • TorqueMaster BR-XL

Brushless Route - Again, what's a good battery? What would be a good mid-range ESC to pair with this motor?
  • Tekin ROC 412 3100kv

Lastly, is it advisable to go ahead and throw in some steel transmission gears while I have it broken down? If so, any recommendations on brands?

I don't anticipate completely submerging it but I do live near Lake Norman in Charlotte. Waterproof is a plus but not mandatory.

Any and all help is appreciated.
DrVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Wraith Owner - Few Questions

IMO the MIP Drive Shafts aren't really necessary, I've been running stock driveshafts since I built my Spawn kit and they've held up to my Holmes 3500kv on 3S fine. I've seen that Powerstrokes are good but I myself run Traxxas Big Bores, they're cheaper and there's a ton of springs available that fit them for tuning, but you need D-Lux Fab "Big Bore Shock Ends" to mount them. You definitely also want steel transmission gears, which Hot Racing makes a complete set for the axial transmission: Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set

For electronics, brushed will be cheaper, sensored brushless is nice but only if you need a lot of extra wheelspeed for hill climbs and bashing around. I run some GForce 3S 4000mAh packs, they get me about 45 minutes on my brushless setup and even longer on brushed and have just enough room to squeeze into my electronics box up front. My #1 recommendation is to get some kind of electronics tray/box to move the ESC, receiver, and the battery up front, I myself use "Da Box".

Last thing would be "beef tubes" for the axles, they really strengthen the axles and give you a much better mount for the c-hubs.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good list of upgrades you got there. What steering servo are you running? That will need to be upgraded from stock.

I like Holmes' stuff so the BLE Pro is my BEC of choice for brushless - waterproof, fanless and silent. The MMP is a good choice as well but not waterproof.

+1 on the Beef Tubes, they're hella strong and will save your axle shafts plus add weight down low.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I would definitely advise steel trans gears if your in as far as getting to the trans
I have the HotRacing steel gears in 5 different Axial based rigs (3 U4, 1 MT, 1 trail rig) & have had no failures yet (though I wouldn't touch some of their other stuff with a 10' pole)
Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set or TowerHobbies.com | Hot Racing Hardened Steel Gear Set AX10

This is the nearest thing I've come across to a "mid range" esc thats sensored & has decent tunability (I have one in my Bomber driving a Pro4HD 3000kv, it's smooth & great)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...020262/p279090

My previous go to esc was the CC Mamba Max Pro but I can't pick the difference between them so far.

I'd even consider one of their 4 pole motor/esc combos
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...040260/p279180
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys. I've been racing RC over the summer and fall and may hang up my hat. With a 9 month old son, time is not on my side for racing.

I have a 1/8 e-buggy that has a Tekin RX8 Gen 2 ESC in it. I also have a 1/10 buggy with a HW XR10 Pro ESC and HW Xerun V10 Gen 2 17.5T.

Would either of these electronics be suitable for the Wraith? If so, would one make more sense than the other? I realize with the Tekin I'd have to get a new motor. I have the same HW motor but 8.5T new in a box doing nothing as well.

I have the HW Wifi card as well as Tekin Hotwire so I have access to all settings. Would a BEC be necessary with either of these? I will be upgrading to a high torque servo, just not sure which one. Possibly the Savox Monster Torque Black Edition if reviews are good.

Rock & hill climbing is what I'll be doing mostly.
DrVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Yes you definitely want a BEC, the Castle 10A BEC is the most popular but you also need Castle Link to adjust its voltage. I'd probably try that XR10 esc and motor first, the RX8 will work but is pretty huge in a Wraith.

Not too many reviews on the Savox but one user really likes his so far. Otherwise, the Hitec 7950TH is a good standard Wraith servo.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVest View Post
I also have a 1/10 buggy with a HW XR10 Pro ESC and HW Xerun V10 Gen 2 17.5T.

I have the same HW motor but 8.5T new in a box doing nothing as well.
I can't say for certain not having tried them but that 1/10 combo being sensored should be ok in a Wraith.
The 17.5T motor is only 2300kv so won't be a speed demon even on 3s but should be not too bad, at least on 3s.

The 8.5T is 4050kv which is probably a bit excessive, not likely to be smooth down low where you want it.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Wraith Owner - Few Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly new wraith spawn owner few questions stingeragent Axial Wraith 13 05-06-2015 07:08 PM
New Wraith Owner - Upgrade Questions photocycler Axial Wraith 0 02-07-2015 11:01 AM
New Wraith Owner with Questions photocycler Axial Wraith 2 02-05-2015 06:33 AM
new wraith owner!! have questions. Tnc89 Axial Wraith 18 06-13-2014 07:59 PM
New to rc and new wraith owner questions jwall046 Newbie General 5 11-29-2013 08:34 PM