Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Is this "bottoming out" normal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Is this "bottoming out" normal.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and new to crawling. I just purchased an RTR Axial Wraith Spawn. As I try to learn more about my new purchase, I'd like to know why this happens, and if its normal/how it ends up working during operation. Basically, when fully compressed, the bumper actually hits the steering rods/linkage, stopping the front shocks from fully compressing. Does this happen on all wraiths, and why is this a good thing? I snapped a few pics so you can see what I'm rambling on about. Thanks for your assistance, and I look forward to becoming a growing member of this community.

Last edited by Feedme; 11-18-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Feedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Is this "bottoming out" normal.

I can't see your pics.

Basically, in real world situations, your front suspension will never be fully compressed on both sides. It will perhaps be 90% on one side and 30% on the other.

In this extreme situation, the front driver side and rear passenger sides are probably 97% compressed while the opposite front passenger is 0% and the rear driver side is probably 30% or so.
This situation will happen.
Attached Images

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-18-2016 at 01:51 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Pictures have been fixed! Thank you for the response :-)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

Ok, so far I've learned in real world applications its unlikely to have any of the shocks fully compressed. My concern was that the bumper would stop the shocks from fully compressing because its hitting the steering column. This eases my concern. Not that these are meant to be jumped but what about approaching an object with some speed out of necessity. If it bottoms enough is the bumper going to bash the linkage or stop the vehicle from doing its job?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Are you talking about the bumper hitting the servo horn and letting you get full flex in the front
WraithKrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedme View Post
Ok, so far I've learned in real world applications its unlikely to have any of the shocks fully compressed. My concern was that the bumper would stop the shocks from fully compressing because its hitting the steering column. This eases my concern. Not that these are meant to be jumped but what about approaching an object with some speed out of necessity. If it bottoms enough is the bumper going to bash the linkage or stop the vehicle from doing its job?
On one of the parts trees there should be 2 small spacers you take the 2 bottom screws out of the bumper and put the spacers in to make it stick out a little farther will clear fine after that

Last edited by WraithKrawlr; 11-20-2016 at 08:40 AM.
WraithKrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I trimmed that piece out of the bumper and now the servo can tuck all the way up inside.... quick cheap and easy fix, and no structural issues.
Polaris425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Is this "bottoming out" normal. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Is it "Normal/bad" clod stall or electronic(s) issue? OhioCrawler Electronics 12 07-20-2012 11:25 AM
Compare Honcho and "normal" SCX10 rctoyguy Axial SCX-10 12 04-23-2011 05:58 PM