Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: gear question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Default gear question

thinking about putting the under drive gears in the rear of my wraith was wondering how that with affect the high speed driving of it we do a good bit of hill climbing and trailing along with some crawling ,sand pits along the river i am just trying to keep the front end down more when climbing i did the battery forward mod and it helped alot i have a 35t motor in it also dont want to add a bunch of weight if I can help it
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: gear question

Be fine. I forget my rear is under driven sometimes.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I run overdrive in the front and underdrive in the rear (biggest gap between the two) on 4S power and you don't notice anything while driving, even on pavement. It's definitely a good idea too because it helps a lot with climbing and your turning radius.
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #4

Sweet thanks for the replies now I need some funds built back up and change some gears
Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
I run overdrive in the front and underdrive in the rear (biggest gap between the two) on 4S power and you don't notice anything while driving, even on pavement. It's definitely a good idea too because it helps a lot with climbing and your turning radius.
I disagree. My Wraith with Ud/Od gearing handled like shit at speed on 3s and 4s. I hated it and I didn't notice a big plus at crawling speeds. Thing would be squirrelly as hell.

I say just under drive the rear leave the front stock. Everybody feels different about this and I'm sure the only way for you to find out if you like or dislike it is to do both.
I put 2 to 4 packs of 4s through my truck a week. After doing all the gear changes I'm happy to be running UD/UD that's under drive in front and rear.

If you want to keep the front down run stiffer rear foams than the front, and add some knuckle weights up front. I feel the od ud sinks more in the sand than equalized gearing.

Last edited by rngrchad; 01-07-2017 at 08:03 PM.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #6

Yeah I still got a lot to think about it soon as weather permits I want to try it out at our favorite spot since I did a couple other mods and figure it out

gear question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) Sloalty Redcat Crawlers 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM
Pinion gear and ring gear mesh question flyboy320 Axial Wraith 18 01-09-2016 02:41 PM
Gear question rrev Redcat Crawlers 11 12-05-2011 07:25 AM
gear question!!! 73formulabird HPI Wheely King 3 01-16-2010 09:45 AM