Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: rcbubba's wraith: a class 3 wanna-be

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rcbubba's wraith: a class 3 wanna-be

I have had my wraith for a two months now and have decided I want a build thread (or rather a thread for the progression of my wraith)

My ultimate goal is to run class 3 but my budget may not allow me to be super competitive.

I am open to suggestions and constructive criticisms to make it better.

How i bought it.

I ran it stock for a few minutes and smoked the stock motor... that was quick!

I had some old rc parts from 2007-2008 when I was into RC crawling and threw them in.

35T hand wound (i think)
CC sidewinder v1.0
hitec 7955tg
cc bec
cut and sectioned OG proline hammers (5.5)
jconcepts tense beadlocks
traxxas big bores up front

(A kitty driver). she likes to think she can help me work on it

Did some odds and ends like fast back mod, hood hinge mod, battery and electronics forward mod, and trimmed off the goofy fenders.

I drove it like that for a few weeks and with Christmas coming up i made a list of hop-ups.

For Christmas I recieved:
R35 krawlers
CI DD 6.0 foams (I put the wrong part numbers on my list)OH:
VP ti suspension and steering.
vp knuckles
axial unis

I installed those items and quickly realized the 6.0s were WAYYYYY too much foam for the Krawlers. So for now i used the stock foams up front and a slightly harder foam i had laying around in the back. Works pretty good for now.

I replaced the tense beadlocks with the stock trailreadys because the tense couldn't hold the bead of the krawlers.

This is brings me up to date. I went wheeling on the Appalachian Trail around Fort Ritchie Maryland yesterday after work to see if the Krawlers with the new foam set-up would let me get past an obstacle that I have deemed the gatekeeper...

I have yet to be able to go up this (unassisted). I can get to the top but bottom out at the top. Those pics show it muddy but i have not been able to get up even when dry.

So like I said the goal is to run class three but for now my goal is to make it up this obstacle unnassisted.

Current specs:

Electronics

35T hand wound
CC sidewinder v1.0
hitec 7955tg
cc bec
5200mah 2s

Suspension/Steering

Traxxas big bores up front with
  • axial purples
  • 30 wt.
  • rubber grommet on cap
stock axial out back with
  • axial purples
  • 30 wt.
  • lowest setting on flipped upper mounts
VP ti steering and suspensions links
VP knuckles
Axial UNI's

Tires/Wheels

R35 Krawlers with
  • stock foams up front
  • unknown hard(er) foams out back
Axial trail ready's with
  • skinny hubs in back
  • wide hubs up front

Items to be installed yet.

used d-lux ar-60 big bearing housings with
  • brass beef tubes up front
  • aluminum beef tubes out back
  • HR bearing retainers up front
rcbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Default Re: rcbubba's wraith: a class 3 wanna-be

Looks good I bought my wife the same one I personally don't like the crawler tires I have the rips as and there are places I can go that she can't and I know it's the tires cause my friend has the same ones on another wraith that's a little more model than mine or hers and he has some prob also I am thinking about going with the super swamped tsl sx tires or the iron but still undecided
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you are of to a good start
A little wheel speed is gonna help with that climb, not sure if the 35 turn is enough. Bit hard to judge from the pic's.

Looking forward to more pic's of how it goes.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplow View Post
Looks good I bought my wife the same one I personally don't like the crawler tires I have the rips as and there are places I can go that she can't and I know it's the tires cause my friend has the same ones on another wraith that's a little more model than mine or hers and he has some prob also I am thinking about going with the super swamped tsl sx tires or the iron but still undecided
I have been thinking the flat iron xl in g8 compound since they are "krawlerish" but i am going to see what the right foams, the "purple power soak" and maybe some grooving will do for the krawlers for now. (read:im on a budget so imma do what i can with what i have)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdood View Post
Looks like you are of to a good start
A little wheel speed is gonna help with that climb, not sure if the 35 turn is enough. Bit hard to judge from the pic's.

Looking forward to more pic's of how it goes.
Thanks man!!

The 35 turn I think may be okay. there is some oomph to get over it, but the gearing is pretty stupid at the moment at 20/86. i stripped my 14t pinion. (it's what i had...)

Last edited by rcbubba; 01-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So i have always been unimpressed with the 7955-tg performance despite all the reviews. I was researching around and figured out i had my BEC wired wrong. I originally had the bec plugged into the battery slot of the rx and the sensor wire (i think) disconnected on my esc.

I used this diagram to wire it correctly (minus dig... FOR NOW)

I also never programmed the BEC :doh: so it was set at 5.1 volts :thumbsdown:. I now have it programmed for 6.0 volts.

All I have to say is.

Beyond that I have ordered the traxxas #3727a battery hold down so i can properly lock my hood down. Previously I had a hacked plastic mount that ripped out this past week at a new crawl spot ( no pics. it was raining and i didn't have my phone charged. plus i suck at taking pics)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

SOOOOOO I made the gatekeeper today after work. I am ecstatic. Although after watching the vid... it looks easy.

Another climb that was a challenge until I found the right line. This is a super fun trail.

Next up is ordering the right foams. I sold my 6.0's to pay for the correct foams. I am going to order cwr-1044 (2.2 DD 5.25 comp cut inner/ soft outer) and cwr-1045 (2.2 DD 5.25 comp cut inner/ medium outer.) upon reccomendation form Eddie @ C.I. I think while Im ordering the foams from C.I. i am going to order some 1" C.I. 6-bolts.

This thing is a blast!!!

rcbubba's wraith: a class 3 wanna-be - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith class 1 or 2 reservedpuppet General Crawlers 3 09-20-2014 09:01 AM
wraith outting????? and whatev u wanna bring isac Arizona 8 05-31-2012 04:07 PM