Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New to me Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Default New to me Wraith

Bought a Wraith unseen. Was a smoking deal . Comes with all electronics receiver/transmitter etc. Guy said he thinks it has a tranny problem. He said when on the throttle it slips. When you push it he said it grabs in a bad way. Waiting to get it in the mail. This is my first Axial product. So don't know anything about them. So it's either in the clutch or tranny. If I have to replace either what is the best way to go? Dual clutches from a spawn? I'm going to be jumping it and bagging on it so I want something that will take the abuse.
Madman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to me Wraith

If you want something that'll take abuse you need to build it or buy it from SuperShafty. Steel internal gears are the bare minimum necessity then it goes from there. Spawn style clutch is good and will also give you the benefit of 32p gears which are much stronger than 48p. Post up what you find and we'll be glad to help get you sorted. Congrats and welcome.

Here's an example of a SuperShafty transmission. It is all metal with no plastic anywhere. This is $200. If you are going to be running brushed power you may not need something this extreme. If you are upgrading to brushless (you will eventually) you will need to start looking into all of the things you will need to upgrade to handle that power. Basically your entire drivetrain, axle internals, possibly driveshafts if you have the OG style, universals, etc. You can build up your own trans over time with many different quality aftermarket options or buy straight from SuperShafty.

Start at the top of this forum reading through Harley's how to threads for building your Wraith up. Some items are out of date or irrelevant now but most of the info is still applicable and will give you a good idea of what you just got yourself into.

Don't cheap out with a bunch of Boom Racing and Integy garbage or you will just end up buying twice. Read, read, read some more. There is more info here than you can get to in weeks.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 02-03-2017 at 06:19 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
If you want something that'll take abuse you need to build it or buy it from SuperShafty. Steel internal gears are the bare minimum necessity then it goes from there. Spawn style clutch is good and will also give you the benefit of 32p gears which are much stronger than 48p. Post up what you find and we'll be glad to help get you sorted. Congrats and welcome.

Here's an example of a SuperShafty transmission. It is all metal with no plastic anywhere. This is $200. If you are going to be running brushed power you may not need something this extreme. If you are upgrading to brushless (you will eventually) you will need to start looking into all of the things you will need to upgrade to handle that power. Basically your entire drivetrain, axle internals, possibly driveshafts if you have the OG style, universals, etc. You can build up your own trans over time with many different quality aftermarket options or buy straight from SuperShafty.

Start at the top of this forum reading through Harley's how to threads for building your Wraith up. Some items are out of date or irrelevant now but most of the info is still applicable and will give you a good idea of what you just got yourself into.

Don't cheap out with a bunch of Boom Racing and Integy garbage or you will just end up buying twice. Read, read, read some more. There is more info here than you can get to in weeks.
^ *ADVICE OF THE DAY AWARD!*
Well put Screamer!
Lots of info, insight and others knowledge in there, just gotta go through and learn!
-Madman77, congratulations on the rig, welcome to the wonderful, evil world of crawling/trail/scale, and just plain breaking stuff.
Get ready to spend some $$$, but as advised read up, as this will definitely help to guide in your parts purchases and beef up your knowledge skills!
When time allows post up some pics!, and never be afraid to post up any questions you may have, lots of solid guys here with lots of time and wisdom willing to help.
Welcome and good luck!
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Rock Farmer and the Academy. I'd like to accept this award on behalf of those that helped me get started and all the good guys in this hobby that genuinely want to help others enjoy it to its fullest.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

Thx guys. I've made it to page 12 of 51 in the sticky lol. Alot of info there. Made this post because the search won't work for some reason. I'm not sure of the year of the car I bought yet and not even the model. Just have pics for now
Old 02-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post

I don't know much about Boom Racing, but they seem good about in their HD Bevel Helical Gear Set -many good review though. One thing I don't understand is Why they said, their gears are [RECONG6 The Fix 2016 Certified]?

Last edited by Teng; 02-04-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:04 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Don't buy anything till you get the truck and check it out. Could be a damaged diff that causes that. ��
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #8

Truck showed up in the mail today. Was as suspected. The middle gear in the transmission was shot. It was plastic. All the other gears are metal. Why lol? Guy had the clutch tightened right up as well. Easy fix. Other than that normal wear and tear. Solid buggy for 250$
Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman77 View Post
Thx guys. I've made it to page 12 of 51 in the sticky lol. Alot of info there. Made this post because the search won't work for some reason. I'm not sure of the year of the car I bought yet and not even the model. Just have pics for now
If you use the advanced search http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php it works fine, just the Google custom search field is broken (still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
I don't know much about Boom Racing, but they seem good about in their HD Bevel Helical Gear Set -many good review though. One thing I don't understand is Why they said, their gears are [RECONG6 The Fix 2016 Certified]?
RECON G6 certified means the part(s) survived a day of running at one of the endurance G6 events. Take it with a grain of salt, it's not real difficult to get RECON G6 certified, more of a marketing ploy.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Are the internals of that tranny SuperShafty and the diff. casing Hot Racing? Confused.
Banjoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
Are the internals of that tranny SuperShafty and the diff. casing Hot Racing? Confused.
Correct, he only makes limited parts. Hot Racing and VP are the go-to housings. The only Supershafty parts in it are the upper and lower shafts I believe.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Correct, he only makes limited parts. Hot Racing and VP are the go-to housings. The only Supershafty parts in it are the upper and lower shafts I believe.
Any difference between the two diff. housings other than I'm assuming the VP is more expensive?
Banjoblue is offline   Reply With Quote