Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Need some specific advice on choosing a HH motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Need some specific advice on choosing a HH motor

I have read the Motor/ESC post by Harley and used the search to the best of my ablility. I have decided to go with HH trailmaster BLE pro and either 2700 or 2200 HH Brushless motor.
I know 2200 is slower but more torque. and also Puller Pro is a 4 pole motor and stronger at same KV then Trailmaster BL which is only a 2 pole motor. I have run the numbers on The Script Asylum and both motors (on 3s lipo) can be geared to achieve my desired top speed. I also have a grasp on Mr. Holmes "Volt up gear down". I'm pretty sure any HH brushless motor will be great but I also think there is a BEST choice based on my setup and driving.

Some basic details:
I run 3s Lipo
Wraith weighs about 9lbs and has 4WS
Driving is pretty much split between trail and crawl. Best way to describe it would be trailing to different areas too crawl.
If I had to pick I rather have better performance on the rocks. I don't care about top speed over 10-12 MPH
I'm hoping to maximize runtime and motor efficiency
I also have 32p gears

My main question (again based on 3S lipo and stuff above) Is it better to:
A) run a 2200kv with 56/11 spur/pin and standard diff gearing (38/13)
- or -
B) run a 2700kv with 56/9 spur/pin and underdrive diff gearing (43/13)

2nd question... I know the standard 540 puller pro is a monster. Should I think about the "stubby" version to reduce some torque and be a little easier on my Wraith? Any reason to consider using the 2 pole brushless TrailMaster instead?

Thanks

Last edited by Troy77; 02-18-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correction
Troy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need some specific advice on choosing a HH motor

I went through a similar set of questions for my own Wraith. As best as i undersood, it is generally better to let the motor run at a higher speed within it's range with the battery voltage chosen ( so go with a higher revving 2700kv on 3S).
I made that choice and was very happy. Whilst i'm sure a stubby would have been a good choice too, i'm was happy i went with the full size motor.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You're seriously over thinking this.

I get that it's a chunk of change to drop and not be happy with the parts but just based on kv you really won't notice much difference between the two. With the rig weight always go with the larger motor as it will be under much less strain than a smaller motor. Play with the gearing to find the sweet spot too. Just because someone says something was perfect for them means squat if you drive differently or your rig weighs 4 lbs more than theirs.

Diff gears are easy, I run hd stock up front and under drive in the back. It helps in the rocks and they're both much stronger than the pot metal junk the rig probably came with.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

B for sure. Standard. No, go with 4 pole always.

Also, for some reason everyone always says lower kv = more torque. Not true.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I'll go with the standard Puller Pro 2700 and HH BLE. Not in stock on Holmes Hobbies web site but managed to find both waterproof esc and motor on A Main Hobby... Should be here by Wednesday!

Last edited by Troy77; 02-19-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: I like to edit things
Troy77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some specific advice on choosing a HH motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice for choosing a new body devuser Axial SCX-10 9 08-10-2016 11:27 AM
Dilemma in choosing types of axles, advice please. novaris Newbie General 2 10-14-2015 10:05 PM
Need advice choosing ESC for Honcho yellorover Axial SCX-10 20 01-01-2010 03:36 PM
advice for choosing a first crwaler dirtymike Newbie General 11 09-07-2009 06:41 PM
Newbie seeking advice on choosing tires for Wheely King to make it more realistic painter4x4 Newbie General 13 06-14-2008 09:10 PM