Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith from the Garbage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wraith from the Garbage

More pics or it didn't happen!!!

supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

I've had a random frame and AR60's that I was going to make something out of...in 2012. I never got around to it and finally put it in storage. Fully upgraded AR60's and titanium links.

A few weeks ago I was crawling with my SCX10 and a friend of mine got a RR10 Bomber...see his crappy build thread here (First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build). I have a built SCX-10 (3rd or 4th SCX-10 build I have done) and got the fast bug. I did not want to repurpose the SCX-10 since I have a Novak Goat 3S crawler system in it and love it, also, it's not a "fast chassis" . I didn't want a Exo Terra since it won't really accomplish what I want and I didn't want a Bomber since I had a Wraith drivetrain sitting in storage.

I started with a getting the essentials, which was rummaging through my box of old crawler garbage and surfing eBay. It's a bit of a mess but here is the setup and it works...
  • Steel Wraith Cage
  • JunFac Carbon Steel DriveShafts
  • Full Axial Aluminum on the front AR60
  • Vanquish Spools Front and Rear
  • OEM SCX-10 Shocks
  • Yeti XL Hockey Puck Compound Tires with "starred foams"
  • GoolRC 3650 3S brushless on 21/87 gearing
  • Savox 1230SG Servo
  • Home Made LED Light bar
  • Stickers
  • some more garbage

It's not done, it's far from done. I like the setup I have right now. I ran it once and realized I didn't charge the battery and it went dead after around 10 minutes so I didn't really get to have fun.

Here are a few shots. I have another build thread on this board with 4 of my SCX-10's from 2010-2013 that I can't update since I lost the account log in and I'm unable to recover it.

This is the rough draft of my project. I need to replace a lot of hardware, bearings, shocks and tune everything so it's exactly what I am looking for. I have the SCX-10 built and I love it, however I find my self tearing it up trying to keep up with the Bomber's and Wraiths. It was time to build something I could thrash and not care about...

I didn't take too many shots of the progress, just the finished prodoct

Enjoy

A shot next to supra_89t's rig.

I run the Yeti RTR tires/rims, they are extremely stiff and did not grip anything. I cut the foams the other day and here is the result. The pictures are in order, the first one shows how hard the compound/foam is. This is the rig flexed out o the stand I use.

Once I cut the tires and ran a few battery packs through I decided the electeronics were going to stay. I installed the 19T pinion to reduce the chance of overheating.

I then tore the frame apart and mounted everything and cleaned up the wiring. Here is where I sit today. I decided to mount everything on the main skid, so it's easily serviceable by removing the 4 frame bolts and 4 shock bolts and slide the entire cage off.

Here are a few random shots of it...

Last edited by THX_138; 04-17-2017 at 08:56 AM.
2000UZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Last night, toying around in the parking lot, supra_89t was laughing at me as my Wraith's transmission exploded internally. The gears gave way. I ordered some G-Made Piggy Back's for the rear (103MM) and some steel Axial gears for the transmission. I'm excited to build these shocks!

On a side note...this is not really much of a budget build anymore. I crumple the front part of the steel cage a few weeks back...I bought a stock cage and will swap everything over once the steel aftermarket cage is spent...
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

I've been busy with my other build -

Here are a few videos of the Wraith, and one of my SCX-10 Scale Build

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 03-01-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Clicked on thread hoping for a story about dumpster diving at the local hobby shop or Goodwill store and finding a Wraith. You click-baited me man!

Nice rig either way. Its always rewarding (to me at least) to take a forgotten or broken rig and get it running again. Nice work.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Nice rig either way. Its always rewarding (to me at least) to take a forgotten or broken rig and get it running again. Nice work.
The components of this build have been sitting since early 2011. It's very rewarding to finally have it running. I've always ignored or came up with some excuse not to use these. I wish I had done this sooner!

I picked up another frame! It's center of the SCX-10 and "Garbage".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 04-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #7

I finally came to the conclusion that the factory SCX – 10, 90mm shocks were a bit short for the rear. I was always lifting and more of bouncing over everything that I was driving over rocks. I purchased some G – made 103MM piggy backs. They were a breeze to assemble and are incredibly smooth. To begin with, or used the middle valve with the three oil holes to allow for some benchmark testing. The oil that came with it appears quite light but allows for a good bit of dampening. I haven't driven it yet but just on the bench they seem much better. They make the factory SCX – 10 shocks look like toothpicks. They aren't scale to the SCX 10 however they are fairly scale on the Wraith.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #8

I always thought the iPhone screens were pretty fragile. Until I filmed this...It's pretty hard to film and drive with only two hands. I'm hoping to get a mount setup on the Wraith and go zoom around. I am getting used to the speed now, so I can now drift/power slide it around turns. I'm hoping the weather will clear up nicely this Saturday and allow me to run out and get some better video.

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 03-10-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #9

Alright. "Garbage" is fun, but I'm taking in a new direction.

Sneak peak...

Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

When you know you have enough power...

Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

thats intense!! You must have that thing geared up pretty high. It only wheelied a little bit at the launch. My stock wraith will wheelie that much with the sstock gearing. Hows your low end? still got plenty of tourqu?
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman View Post
thats intense!! You must have that thing geared up pretty high. It only wheelied a little bit at the launch. My stock wraith will wheelie that much with the sstock gearing. Hows your low end? still got plenty of tourqu?

I had the "punch out" or, start mode on soft to help preserve the drivetrain. It will flip over backwards if I have the start mode at 100%.

The ESC on soft will act more like a turbo car. Once it gets going it builds torque pretty quickly.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Wraith is still down. After a week USPS lost the package with all of my new stuff. So I handled it with a no so good seller that didn't want to be stand up and resend or refund (I even explained a partial would work since it wasn't their fault) and ordered from RPP Hobby. I should of done that in the first place.

Updates to come...hopefully

Old 04-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #14

The past few weeks I have been Allen wrenching a little bit each night. I finally have the front axle almost re-assembled.

Once I got the gears installed I noticed the backlash was off again, I had to order some spacers and that took a week (rolls eyes). I used .2MM to get the proper mesh on the pinion and ring gear. Once set, I began assembly.

Uh-oh...all the bearings have metal shavings in them and well, Fast Eddy to the rescue.

Fast Eddy Bearings in, making my way towards the trails again. I have been working on my Jeep body. I used a little special paint and added some flakes and BOOM! Super flaky gunmetal which should make it look pretty aggressive. Here's a close up, sneak peak and the paint.

I am also working on my FPV system. I have enough parts to make one, leftover from my drone stuff.

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 04-08-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #15

Three more goodies...well two more for the Wraith, one for safety.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Looks good! What kind of grease are you using in the diffs?

I wanna get another wraith cage and build a "garbage" basher from my spares and leftovers. You're my inspiration!!!
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Also, I love BlackPoint Tactical...

Yeah, I see the sticker.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 AM   #18

Jeep body is painted. Now I just had to swap everything over and install the lighting system! I have a few other parts as well

My old servo mount wasn't in the best of shape

So I did sumting lyke dis

Last edited by THX_138; 04-17-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have the same servo and mount on my Wraith. That Vanquish is solid. I had a lot of movement out of the Axial stock part. I love the paint!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I have the same servo and mount on my Wraith. That Vanquish is solid. I had a lot of movement out of the Axial stock part. I love the paint!

Thanks! It took. A few weeks for me to settle on a paint color. I gave up on the bronze color since I couldn't find a tint of bronze I liked.

The mount seems extremely solid. I can't wait to put it to the test!

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 04-12-2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell

Wraith from the Garbage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
purging the garbage.... servos first photon_trap Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 04-30-2013 06:23 AM
trail plug!!! or just garbage crawl kid 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 07-31-2011 01:25 PM
Garbage job market..... kikcaffine Chit Chat 46 01-13-2010 02:57 PM
#1 Tamiya Garbage truck! :) skl1cent Non Crawler RC's 24 09-13-2009 12:48 PM