Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RC Command Spartan Buggy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC Command Spartan Buggy build

Call it rushing, or poor surface prep, or driving reckless but my first attempt at back halfing this buggy did not last long.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 04-05-2017 at 05:46 PM.
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Slight changes to the re-inforcement tubes I used. I wanted to make sure that there was plenty of strength over the shock mounts. This is all good practice, because as soon as I get this thing back on the trail, I am going to start fabricating my own DMG'esq back half kit. Take a look, and tell me what you think.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard3r411 View Post
Looking good man I like how you chopped it
Thank you. I really like the DMG back half kits, but since we are on a budget it just wasn't in the cards.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I know I just bought the damn TTC Baja Claws, but I really want the cut style of TSL's that Tim Cameron runs. So I had to buy a set.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I am trying to build this drive train up so I could put some serious power to it in the near future. These are SSD's drive shafts. I know that MIP seems to be the drive shaft that everyone goes to, but because I really like the SSD Diamond axles, I stuck with their drive shafts. Despite them being a little pricey.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

All cut and mounted. I have tried them before I cut them and really like them. I hope I didn't do any damage by cutting them the way I did. I can say I will need new wheels though or new foams. Anyone use these tires and have problems keeping them on the factory wheels?
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Hey everybody! Just got back from a trip to Maine. My kids live with their mom in NH, so I went home while they were on April vacation and spent the week with them. I brought the Spartan Buggy, which will eventually be taken over by my son Ethan, and we did some work to it. Ethan dove in head first. He has a new affinity for the project, and worked hard on it. So excited to see him welding and grinding and measuring and driving this thing. Can't wait to finish it so RC Command can start a new project.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Some new things you all might be noticing is the plastic work is gone in the rear and now there is a real metal tube back half in place. More to follow on this build.

I know, I have yet again bought another set of tires. I have always liked the boggers, so they were a must. My son would like to cut the small lugs in the rear to have a decent set of paddle tires for that deep Maine mud.

Ethan wanted to help add a spare tire carrier in the back. He welded on the center bar, and help bend up the tube on the bottom. More to come on this as it may require a different set up to actually mount the wheel to the chassis. Also that super low hanging tube may need to be shortened. But we thought a spare tire carrier would add to the Scale look.

We would love your feed back.

PS we finally painted the grill from the stock Bruiser blue to the Spartan Buggy blood red.

Last edited by dondraper25; 04-30-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Forgot some info.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Ugh will someone tell me how to type in between pictures so I can better explain to you guys what's going on in the photo?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Default RC Command Spartan Buggy build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondraper25 View Post
Ugh will someone tell me how to type in between pictures so I can better explain to you guys what's going on in the photo?

No worries Nick. All you have to do is somehow get your cursor between each pic address (for lack of a better word) which look like these ...[IMG blah blah blah IMG]. Make sure your text is before or after those and you should be good.

Last edited by CR4NK; 04-30-2017 at 05:29 PM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Great help, thank you. I want you all to know that I do look in the newbie forum for this answer. Sorry I had to use this platform to get an answer.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I wanted to get these boggers cut for my son to see. Check it out.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I know I am posting a ton of pics today, I promise this will be the last one, but this is my proud papa pic. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Milgen Hill, which I have re-named Spartan Hill because I ripped 3 tires off the bead and busted the down bar that supported the shock mount on the rear. That is what prompted the re-build.

This was before I left for Maine.

PS yes I'm tracking I need to paint the grill.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I posted in Electronics, but got no response. Perhaps I can get more of a response here.

I bought this package deal from a local hobby shop. The minute I plugged it in, the magic smoke escaped. So the motor has never turned over. I am wondering what you all would recommend. Forgetting this motor? Buy a new censored ESC? Any input would be great!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I know it's been a minute. There is a reason for that. RC Command has a new project. We are calling it the Ranger Buggy. It is Wraith based. We are looking to make it a Rock Bouncer / U4 mutt. I'll start a build thread, but I just wanted to give a quick sneak peak.
The Spartan Buggy is in the back ground. I need to bring you all up to speed on the tube work that we have completed. More to follow.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Enjoyable thread. But not so budget side LOL, I've seen you used SSD axles, expensive though. But great looking for sure. Looking forward to hearing your new upgrade soon
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I wanted to show what prompted me to rebuild the back half of the Spartan Buggy. It happened when I was on the newly named Spartan Hill (named because this hill crushed the Spartan Buggies soul), just before I left for Maine to see my kids.
The pictures below are of the carnage from that "trail ride." I also lost 3 out of 4 beads (can anyone tell me if I need to glue these Pro Line Interco SX's on to the factory Wraith wheels!?).
Next I'll post the build process for the DMG'esq back half I put together for the Maine trip.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondraper25 View Post
I wanted to show what prompted me to rebuild the back half of the Spartan Buggy. It happened when I was on the newly named Spartan Hill (named because this hill crushed the Spartan Buggies soul), just before I left for Maine to see my kids.
The pictures below are of the carnage from that "trail ride." I also lost 3 out of 4 beads (can anyone tell me if I need to glue these Pro Line Interco SX's on to the factory Wraith wheels!?).
Next I'll post the build process for the DMG'esq back half I put together for the Maine trip.
Yikes!

IMO, the Wraith wheels aren't very good at holding beads when using wider foams and tires like the Pro-lines. I went through this for a little bit and gave up and upgraded to the Pro-Line Faultline wheels, which are relatively cheap and does a much better job holding the bead.

Look forward to seeing what come up with.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

OLD thank you so much. This is why I post here because I can learn from those who have gone through it before. I can't wait to post the results.

RC Command Spartan Buggy build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile Command Post bmuzz1 Scale Nationals 9 03-31-2016 09:36 AM
shamu at your command STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 7 07-23-2013 10:47 PM
Traxxas Spartan? BLKXJ 96 Chit Chat 11 07-30-2011 01:09 AM