Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RC Command Spartan Buggy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC Command Spartan Buggy build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Enjoyable thread. But not so budget side LOL, I've seen you used SSD axles, expensive though. But great looking for sure. Looking forward to hearing your new upgrade soon

Actually they are a steal!
If you add beef tubes,bearing caps,clamping lockers,and a stiff truss,the diamond axles(now come with HD axles) are a great buy.
Watch coupons ,RPP just had another holiday sale at 15% off

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Actually they are a steal!
If you add beef tubes,bearing caps,clamping lockers,and a stiff truss,the diamond axles(now come with HD axles) are a great buy.
Watch coupons ,RPP just had another holiday sale at 15% off

Hang up and Drive
You are correct. But I will admit that this "budget build" has been thrown out the window. The reason is because my son loves this stuff. Can you put a price on your kids happiness? He does well in school. He is a good big brother to his little sister. I could go on.

Check out our Ranger Buggy build (thread below), which we are building so I can hit the trail with him!
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad to hear your kid is into it. My 3 kids are too and that's what keeps me going with it. I enjoy the hell out of it too, but having them with me makes it so much enjoyable.
And I also did not plan on spending as much as I have, but I hate being broken down on the trail, so I try to minimize as much as possible by going quality first.
(however I have done several "walk of shames", so I can't say it's all been good )
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
I'm glad to hear your kid is into it. My 3 kids are too and that's what keeps me going with it. I enjoy the hell out of it too, but having them with me makes it so much enjoyable.
And I also did not plan on spending as much as I have, but I hate being broken down on the trail, so I try to minimize as much as possible by going quality first.
(however I have done several "walk of shames", so I can't say it's all been good )
Yes sir. I made that decision early on. But I haven't learned. The next motor / ESC combo has got to be better quality because I have gone through 3 Axial motors and 2 ESC's. Walk of shame indeed.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

I decided to rebuild the back half before I left for Maine. I'm not going to lie, I finished this in about 3 days and 4 nights. I slept about an average of 4 hours a night. Maybe less. I'm so happy with the results though as was my son, which really made the work and trip worth it. This was just the first round. More to follow. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I hit the wall with the Ranger Buggy, so I am bouncing back and forth between projects.

Below are some pictures of the back half I have again modified. I removed the spare tire carrier. I don't think it fits that tube work. I also added some cross bars and down bars at the windshield. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Diggin the builds! You have inspired me to start brazing and custom fabing
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Diggin the builds! You have inspired me to start brazing and custom fabing
Good man. I have been so inspired by builders like Emeryworx and DMG, so I am glad to be able to help others like they helped me.

Carlisle? Carlisle PA? My boss went to war college there. We went there a few times so he could speak at graduations. I have also been to the Carlisle fair grounds several several times! Good times!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Good day! RCC Leads the way! Just got back from vacation with the kiddos. We smoked a motor and ESC the last time I was with my son, so we brought the Spartan Buggy with us and found a hobby shop near where my mom lives in Florida. I want to thank the gentlemen at High Fly Hobbies on South Nova rd in Daytona Beach FL. They not only had the motor / ESC combo you see below, but they took the time to solder the leads that I needed in order to make all of this happen. We ended up losing a wheel nut during the test drive anyway, but that was my fault.

These shots were taken before I went out to Spartan Hill to officially break in the new motor.

Please let me know what you all think about the choice I made on
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTruck View Post
Nice cage work!
Thank you very much! Please check out our Ranger Buggy build as well.

RCCLTW!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I really am enjoying this new motor and ESC. Although I'm now seeing that censored is going to be so much smoother. So I will be looking in to one of those for the Ranger Buggy build for sure.
Some carnage from the first real test drive with the new motor / ESC.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

This is the result of the torn upper shock mount that happened during the first test drive with the new motor and ESC I posted earlier. I also replaced the factory Axial coil overs with 120mm King Coil overs. I have heard good and bad things about these shocks. I will definitely post comments about them once I get some time on them.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

RC Command Leads The Way!

What's up Wraith fans? The Spartan Buggy is back in the news. After the post above, I took it out to Spartan Hill, and tore up the transmission up. After putting the big boy motor in, the factory plastic gears had no chance.
The pics below will show you the Hot Racing gears we decided on. We replaced all the bearings just for good measure. You'll also see that we bought an extra set of wheel nuts. I don't think you can have enough of those.

Let us know what you think, we like to hear anything about the build in general. I hope you all are well.

PS: Update on the rear King shocks - We need to mess around with the oil and coils. Perhaps changing them out? Also, this thing needs a rear sway bar for sure, if we can't dial the shocks in. Any one have any guidance on this?
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

RCCLTW!!!

We've been back from Texas for a week or so now. I'm finally getting to processing some of the pictures from the trip, so I wanted to share with you all what went on. The first addition was the replacement of the factory front coil overs. A month or so ago, we decided to replace the rear shocks with 120mm King shocks. They have worked out great, although I need to mess around with different oils, and then eventually a rear sway bar if we can't get the body roll under control. So in the front we went with 110mm shocks with the faux external reservoir.
The first pic is after the shocks were installed. What follows is the carnage from the first run after installing the new shocks!
We ripped out a suspension link and destroyed a rod end, and destroyed the last plastic gear that was left in the Axial Transmission. We have a new Hot Racing gear on the way, and have since replaced the torn up link.

Let us know what you think and be on the look out for a new build coming your way. RC Command has been busy!
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

RCCLTW! We got the new gear in, picture of it below. Spartan's all back together, but that's not the big news from RC Command. Check out the new Low Life Buggy. We will be up loading the pictures on to a new thread momentarily. I hope you all enjoy.
Attached Images

RC Command Spartan Buggy build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile Command Post bmuzz1 Scale Nationals 9 03-31-2016 09:36 AM
shamu at your command STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 7 07-23-2013 10:47 PM
Traxxas Spartan? BLKXJ 96 Chit Chat 11 07-30-2011 01:09 AM