Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith shock recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith shock recommendations

Tires rubbing the springs during full lock L - R turning probably comes down to what wheel offset is utilized.

Tho' it also can be contributed to by the universals or drive axles and how much angle those can attain when turning.

But that would still be related to wheel offset.
So basically it can be a combination of both factors.

There are likely a few other contributing factors...
Including what C hubs are used and their offset.

But wheel offset is likely where one should start.

Fixed wheel hubs don't offer many options to increase offset.
Short of using longer hexes.

But SLW type wheels utilizing SLW hubs do.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2019, 03:50 AM   #22

Question Re: Wraith shock recommendations

Hi!
I know I am a little late to the Wraith-Party, but I just started the RC hobby a couple month ago and without knowing what a Crawler is or what Scale means I bought me a RTR Wraith Spawn ... close call

And when I stared to realise that you can upgrade parts it became even more fun. But upgrades can be really challenging for a complete noob like me
I did some easy stuff already like changing the interior to the awesome looking Wraith interior, I got me body panels, tires and wheels, of course I blew the tactics servo and the replacement was asking for a stronger ESC (1080).

Now it is time for the shocks, the stock ones are leaking and I do not like the plastic look. What I did (before i read this
) I ordered me 2 pairs of
"055-PRO6316-02 ProLine Pro-Spec Shocks (105-110mm)"
These will fit, but they have a much smaller diameter and from what a read not really an upgrade for the Wraith, right?

1. But I still have a question, what no YouTube Vid could solve, how do I fill shocks without bleeder holes properly? I tried it yesterday and I always ended up with a sort of vacuum, which means the shock went in only 60% before it stopped. I cleaned and refilled the Axial stock shocks without having that problem. Can you tell me, what am I doing wrong here?

2. Since this thread is from 2017, what shocks should I aim for?
-Traxxas TRX-4962 Big Bore, XXL
-Gmade XD Dual Rate Piggyback 103mm
-xr-10 shocks??? Which are those, I can't find them?

3. What oil and brand should I use?

Help would be very much appreciated

Thanx from Hamburg / Germany
jazz
jazzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmatazz View Post
Hi!
I know I am a little late to the Wraith-Party, but I just started the RC hobby a couple month ago and without knowing what a Crawler is or what Scale means I bought me a RTR Wraith Spawn ... close call

And when I stared to realise that you can upgrade parts it became even more fun. But upgrades can be really challenging for a complete noob like me
I did some easy stuff already like changing the interior to the awesome looking Wraith interior, I got me body panels, tires and wheels, of course I blew the tactics servo and the replacement was asking for a stronger ESC (1080).

Now it is time for the shocks, the stock ones are leaking and I do not like the plastic look. What I did (before i read this
) I ordered me 2 pairs of
"055-PRO6316-02 ProLine Pro-Spec Shocks (105-110mm)"
These will fit, but they have a much smaller diameter and from what a read not really an upgrade for the Wraith, right?

1. But I still have a question, what no YouTube Vid could solve, how do I fill shocks without bleeder holes properly? I tried it yesterday and I always ended up with a sort of vacuum, which means the shock went in only 60% before it stopped. I cleaned and refilled the Axial stock shocks without having that problem. Can you tell me, what am I doing wrong here?

2. Since this thread is from 2017, what shocks should I aim for?
-Traxxas TRX-4962 Big Bore, XXL
-Gmade XD Dual Rate Piggyback 103mm
-xr-10 shocks??? Which are those, I can't find them?

3. What oil and brand should I use?

Help would be very much appreciated

Thanx from Hamburg / Germany
jazz
1. Search "RC shock rebuild" when on YouTube and a bunch of stuff should come up. Some info will be good and some not so good. I like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJsfmCU1K0
You can do it without all the fancy tools shown and most of the information will apply to most shocks.

2. I've used the Traxxas 4962 on my Wraith for years and other than a once a year rebuild I've never had a problem with them. The Traxxas red springs these shocks come with I find too stiff. The good thing is you can take the springs off the stock Wraith shocks and they will fit the Traxxas 4962s and they seem to be softer. A cheap way to experiment with spring rate.

3. Silicone shock oil is recommended by most shock manufacturers and is available in many different weights (5W up to 60W or more). As far as I know they're pretty much all the same so brand isn't critical. With the springs I use I think I'm using 15W or 20W shock oil. Spring rate and shock oil weight are all personal preference and depend on where and how you drive.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I use Traxxas big bores with the stock Wraith springs and 30wt Losi shock oil on all 4 corners. This works well for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #25

@nightcrawler48 + MaX-D, thank you very much for your help!

I got my ProLine Pro-Spec Shocks filled, that video helped! The shock shaft needs to be pushed in before closing the cap, that was the trick.
I'll keep them for my next (first) SCX10-II built.

Ok, the Traxxas big bores it will be ... as soon as I have some spare cash
And I'll get me some different oils to play around with 15, 20, 30 ... The Losi 30w is available here in Germany
Because for everything I have to order overseas from Amian or so, Trumps makes me pay his overpriced customs fees . I am still waiting for a set of US-fabricated wheels

Last edited by jazzmatazz; 12-03-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 AM   #26

Hi!

My Big Bore Shocks arrived, super easy to fill and overall solid Shocks.

As shown in the picture, the stock shocks mounting hole on the cap is bigger then the ones on the Big Bores. But even more important is the litte rubber ring that comes with the stock shocks but won't fit in the cap of the Big Bores.

How do I mount the Big Bore shocks, do I need to buy a fitting rubber ring for the Big Bores if so,were can i get it and how is it called?

Oh ... I probably just found the missing part -> "shock mounting bushings & washers 2669"
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2669
That is what i need, right?

Thank for the Noob-Help,
jazz

Last edited by jazzmatazz; 12-06-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Another way to mount the shock is to take the top cap off the shock body, remove the rubber diaphragm from the cap, grind/file the mounting ear off the cap, and drill a 1/8" (or 3mm) hole in the center of the cap. Take a rod end the same as the one on the shaft end and, using a 3mm butttonhead screw from the inside of the cap, attach the rod end to the outside of the cap. I usually put a small dab of ShoeGoo on the cap and the rod end to keep it from turning once the rod end is attached to the cap. The overall length of the shock will be longer pin to pin because of the added length of the rod end. This is a very popular mod for this type of shock.

Because the stock top mount for the 4962s ends up being a pretty solid mount with no flex in one direction (lets call it side to side as opposed to front to back) any offset of the shock from top mount to bottom mount will add stress to the shock shaft seals and the piston in the shock body. The cap mod eliminates this stress as the shock can align itself in all directions.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #28

@nightcrawler48:
Thank you so much for taking the time and explaining the mod
Since I have 8 Shocks, I will give it a try
I also found a couple videos online showing the process (Big Bores Cap Mod).

What rod end should I use?
I saw somebody use the RPM 80472 (Traxxas 5347), a 4mm rod end.
No pivot balls included, not sure what fits here

Before I have to order twice I went ahead and ordered:
1x Rod ends RPM 80472 (Traxxas 5347 / 4mm)
1x Rod ends TRX2742X incl. pivot balls (longer version)
1x Rod ends TRX2742 incl. pivot balls (short version)

One of the above should fit

Where should I get the scews and how long should they be, 10mm?
I just ordered srews of Ebay -> M3 8mm + M3 10mm + M4 8mm (just in case Ill stick to the RPM rod ends)

Thanks ... jazz

Last edited by jazzmatazz; 12-11-2019 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Dlux makes some nice upper pivot balls for the Traxxas big bores. Otherwise people have been using short sections of nitro fuel tubing as bushings for years. Just don't overtighten the bolt, only slightly squish the fuel tubing.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:41 AM   #30

@meatmonkey: Thank you for your help, could may be post the right fuel tubing, or is there only one size, I would love to try that method? And I also can't find the Dlux pivot balls online, a little help would be appreciated

The cap mod was a lot of fun, the most difficult part was to center the 3mm hole, I found this drill stand from the 70s that helped a lot, my drill bit was sliding all over the place . Dipped the srews in metallic epoxy, what did a great job of sealing both sides of the cap:

Wraith shock recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock recommendations Romad Redcat Crawlers 9 02-16-2012 03:03 PM
shock recommendations ofna Axial SCX-10 10 05-13-2011 03:17 PM
Shock Recommendations bschimmel General Crawlers 8 05-25-2010 07:45 PM
shock recommendations Crawlin' Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 04-09-2008 09:12 PM
Shock Recommendations? gregrocks90046 Traxxas Crawlers 3 01-04-2006 05:41 PM