Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Building a CLIMBER...Setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Building a CLIMBER...Setup?

I am pretty new at this and I find that most of the places where I go rock crawling is really rock CLIMBING. My truck is a spawn kit with 55t axial motor and stock gearing. I replaced the stock purple springs with blacks.

I have a lot of awesome places to crawl near me, but it is mostly steep. I've come to the conclusion that I need a little more wheel speed and power and plan to remedy that by going to 3s, and likely down a pinion tooth. Question is; What would you recommend for mods to make the truck a better climber? I have moved all the electronics and battery as far forward as possible. Whats the best way to keep this thing face-down, ass-up while going up really steep rock faces? Thanks.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Building a CLIMBER...Setup?

There's a couple things you can do to a Wraith to make it crawl uphill way better.

Axle tubes: Beef tubes or Boom Racing Kronik tubes, these get inserted into the axle and strengthen it while giving the Chub some metal to thread into, while also adding 1.5 oz of non-rotating mass. Pretty much a mandatory mod IMO.

Shocks: There are shock lift/lowering kits that can in fact be used to lower the shocks, AKA lowering the rig and giving you lower CoG while also giving you some droop.

Knuckle Weights: Pretty much the most drastic form of forward weight possible but also more expensive and requires a good 400+ oz-in servo to toss them around effectively, and some wheels might not work with them. There are a couple setups for this, the easiest as a newb is probably Vanquish's setup: Vanquish steering knuckles and then Vanquish knuckle weights.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

OD/UD gears will help as well.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
OD/UD gears will help as well.
Yep, I don't have my front overdriven but do have the rear underdriven right now.

Also, there's only 1 kit that I know of made by a vendor on here but you can use it to tune antisquat. This also helps climbing ability.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ok so over-driving the front end, what is a good percentage based on available after-market parts and will this affect the truck negatively in any way? I'd imagine it would also help it to turn tighter.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Axial & others only make 3 sets of gears. Standard, Overdriven & Underdriven. If you play on the street, you may have a problem overdriving an axle. On my Wraiths, Yeti & Deadbolt, I only Overdrive the front one step. Typically, I use the HD standard gears in the rear & HD Overdrive the front. Turning will be much improved & this helps to keep the front end down on steep climbs. You will still have torque twist to deal with.

CG3
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

Sway bar it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
huntinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I didn't like the od/ud gear set up it didn't do as well on steep slick surfaces as well as the matched gears did personal I went with a steal ish axle housing and waited wheels then I suck the front axle up with the winch to compress the suspention and a sway bar on the back it works really well in my opinion anyway
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

While beef tubes and knuckle weights were mentioned, keep in mind weight down low and preferably not in the wheels when moving your gear around the rig. Also if knuckle weights aren't an option for you for some reason there are brass knuckles available. I like the scale brass knuckles from TSS, but I believe there are other brands

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

...and don't forget tires and foams. You might find great traction with KLR's, with softer compound up front than the rear. Possibly Hyrax. I run pins because there aren't any comps in my area that would restrict any tires and I want the best capability possible. I also use CC DD soft in the front, medium in the rear. There is a lot you can do to the Wraith to make it a mountain goat, it just has to still drag around a very wide skid plate... until you cut that down ; )

Name:  IMG_3009.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  44.2 KB
Mtnkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

stiffen the rear shocks so you stay with the rear end as high as possible for as long as possible till you flip
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Building a CLIMBER...Setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
little setup run with my Climber 2.2 (it's not a Wraith ;-) nicodrive01 Videos! 2 08-05-2011 01:53 AM
Building scale TJ, need setup suggestions... WillysEdition04 Newbie General 7 04-23-2009 01:38 PM
Motor Building/setup Tools The Real Dogman Holmes Hobbies 0 04-18-2009 03:57 PM
Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor Miller Time Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 03-01-2008 12:54 PM
Building a TXT Rock Climber and running into problems Rckcrwlr Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 24 11-07-2006 07:49 AM