Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Destroyed Axial Universal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Destroyed Axial Universal

So, I finally got my Wraith back together. Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster, BR-XL ESC and 3S and lots of other new goodies. The new Axial Universal on the right front lasted about 3/4 of a battery pack. Anyone else have this problem before? Any recommendations?
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Destroyed Axial Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
So, I finally got my Wraith back together. Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster, BR-XL ESC and 3S and lots of other new goodies. The new Axial Universal on the right front lasted about 3/4 of a battery pack. Anyone else have this problem before? Any recommendations?
I've been beating the snot out of mine for 6 months or longer and no breakage. A little loose, but functional. Were you driving it fast and make a sharp turn, binding the uni? We sheared the Hot Racing CVD in my son's Bomber and getting the front right wheel wedged in a rock... But 3/4 of a pack is pitiful.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Haven't broke neither of my 30780's that came original in my Wraith kit..

My AR 60's reside underneath a 1/6 weighing in around 12 lbs W 5.80 tires.
also tows a 5 lb trailer W rc quad perched atop it.

My Axial Uni's have held up well to 3s use for some months now...
have even held up to some 6s voltage on more then a few occasions so far.
But they are a consumable component eventually failing from wear/fatigue.
~ so have spares on hand for less down time ~

How long have yours endured their torture ?

Maybe If I ran mine WOT with wild abandon... I'd probably think something might fail.

~ just curious ~

What driver inputs and type of usage was occurring when it broke ?
WOT, torque snap, loose terrain, turning, tumble, etc.

I'd think you'd know what promoted in it's death ?

I'd like to know just so's I could avoid doing that !? Lol

-----------

Maybe a quality control issue - bad run/batch.
and you just got unlucky ? Lol

Possibly the std locker inputs have become sloppy and allow for too much axle shaft rotation/free play,
Thus causing the uni joint to hit harder during re-engagement ?
Excessive play and added G forces can snap metal easier.

Locked Up F1 (steel) spools would eliminate lots of drive line free play
the stronger steel inputs do not round out like the stock sintered metal lockers do.

^ one of the steps in "BulletProofing" your drive train.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My guess is a bad production batch issue. I've got a set on my AX10 as well with nearly 3 years on them and no issues. As far as the driving, it was actually pretty mellow since I was still shaking her down after getting everything back together.Some full throttle blasts across the lawn, some climbing and crawling. Nothing you wouldn't expect to do on a daily basis. I'm going to see if Axial will warranty them. I had them laying around for a couple months though before I got to rebuilding the rig. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It's the "laying around a couple of months" is the clincher, there was batches of these a while back (prob 12 months at a guess) that failed like that, I know of one set that failed inside of 12" along the work bench.
You may get lucky with a warranty request but if not don't let that put off another set, the same axles recently have been plenty tough.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That's a brittle shaft from the dreaded "bad batch" that went around. I'm going to guess there has been a second batch of over hardened shafts or they've brought another bunch of them of out the warehouse.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I broke an XR10 uni in the same way, looked pretty much the same after. But it broke cause it totally bound up and snapped with liberal throttle application at its outer limits of functional steering range. (got torque)
Could easily be a manufacturing issue, a use issue, or perhaps both. They aren't indestructible, but they are quite strong normally
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Recommend Dlux Fab FBA axle shafts. I have a 15lb wraith with Holmes brushless power running 4S batteries and 4 wheel steering and haven't put a dent in those axles yet. Plus you can message Erik and order spare parts.

Dlux Fab
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

possibly over steering, possibly need steering stops
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The dlux ones run the stock axial outer shafts that was were my last one broke I don't really want to upgrade everything for 8mm outer shafts I don't know if the extra cost is worth it or not
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Dlux machines vp knuckles to run 8mm stubs and you can use an slw type hub or 12mm hex with them too if you want to.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
possibly over steering, possibly need steering stops
This is the issue 95% of the time. The lack of steering stops kills shafts. For some reason, they are just too hard for people to do so people keep killing them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
The dlux ones run the stock axial outer shafts that was were my last one broke I don't really want to upgrade everything for 8mm outer shafts I don't know if the extra cost is worth it or not
For sure Axial stubs are not bombproof but typically they break much, much less than the inner shafts.

Just remember, if you break a stub shaft on the FBA, all you need is another stub shaft and thats only about $15. Slap that back on the FBA and youre up and going again.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
This is the issue 95% of the time. The lack of steering stops kills shafts. For some reason, they are just too hard for people to do so people keep killing them....

For sure Axial stubs are not bombproof but typically they break much, much less than the inner shafts.

Just remember, if you break a stub shaft on the FBA, all you need is another stub shaft and thats only about $15. Slap that back on the FBA and youre up and going again.
Are the fba shafts rebuildable I tryed to use my broken axial parts to make 1 good set but I couldn't get them apart with out breaking them but that's a cheap repair if the fbas rebuidable but it's still a lot of donuts at first for the set I'll bet the 8mm are Strong as all get up but I cant aford to change everything out to acomidate the 8mm stub shafts by the time it's all sead and done
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Yes you can rebuild the FBA shafts. I have had to change two outer stubs because of them being bent. Just requires a punch and patience. Well worth the money, and again 4S power in a 15 lb wraith.......
NWHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Funny, I just had a shaft break on that same spot while I was clearancing it with the dremel. The short side shaft went fine, as soon as I touched the bit to the ear on the long shaft it just peeled right off. It was from a Wraith kit that I got from TH around October. I'm going to guess when I punched the pin out it cracked the already weak ear.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #16
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Are the fba shafts rebuildable I tryed to use my broken axial parts to make 1 good set but I couldn't get them apart with out breaking them but that's a cheap repair if the fbas rebuidable but it's still a lot of donuts at first for the set I'll bet the 8mm are Strong as all get up but I cant aford to change everything out to acomidate the 8mm stub shafts by the time it's all sead and done
Yes, they are rebuildable. I can sell any part of the shafts and send them to you or you can send them to me and I will put them on for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHavok View Post
Yes you can rebuild the FBA shafts. I have had to change two outer stubs because of them being bent. Just requires a punch and patience. Well worth the money, and again 4S power in a 15 lb wraith.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Funny, I just had a shaft break on that same spot while I was clearancing it with the dremel. The short side shaft went fine, as soon as I touched the bit to the ear on the long shaft it just peeled right off. It was from a Wraith kit that I got from TH around October. I'm going to guess when I punched the pin out it cracked the already weak ear.
Put them in a vice and make sure the ears are on top of the vice and when you hit the pin, the ears are what are holding the shaft. You should be able to hold the shaft somewhat loose if you do it this way. This was probably a really confusing way to put it. I think I need pictures.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wow - just checked back on this thread after being out of town. All good info! Thanks all. I really don't think the rig is over-steering. At full lock both Left and Right, it's doesn't bind under throttle. As others stated above, I am nearly positive I got a set from the "bad batch". Looking at the metal where it sheered with a magnifying glass, it actually looks porous, which can't be good for strength. It definitely won't put be off the Axial universals. I've had zero problems with them on my AX10 in the 3 years i've been running them on that rig.

Destroyed Axial Universal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken axial universal Chad84 Axial RR10 Bomber 15 05-25-2016 05:47 PM
Axial Universal set rc4x4crawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 09-30-2008 12:45 AM
Axial Universal Drives JasonInAugusta Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 05-25-2008 11:24 AM