Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axle, differential gears not engaging!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Default Axle, differential gears not engaging!!

hey there,
i have an scx10 and i am having big problems with the axles. a part on it broke and after 3 weeks i have replaced it and now the front axle is clicking when it is put under pressure for example when i hold the back wheeels and rest the front wheels on the ground they click.... the axles. so i have taken out the diffrential and the other gear thing in the axles and swaped them round to the back as i thought the gears where shredded, but they arent and when i swapped them round the same problem was happening on the same axle, the front one. Also i have tried some tricks like putting washers between the drive shafts and the axles and nothing has made a difference. I feel like the problem is the axle housing perhaps as the gear's arent stripped as they both work on the rear axle.
can you please help me?????
louis_hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axle, differential gears not engaging!!

The plastic housing can deform with alittle heat especialy with big power try pulling the pinion out and shiming behind the pinnion between the gear and the bearing i would also make sure all the bearings are good if everything is good and the gear mesh is good then i would say your housing is warped i had that problem with my ar60 axles i switched to steel axles and never looked back even with new gears and new plastic housing and all new bearings the gears would slip plastic just cant hold up to high power
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Do you have an SCX10 or a Wraith? (cos this is in the Wraith section)

Although in this case it doesn't make much difference, the internals of the diff are the same on both anyway.

When you swapped from front to rear did you swap the whole diff like I've circled in green or just the ring gear like at the top in blue?

If you just swapped the ring gear you might have missed the problem being the metal locker AX30500 in the plastic cup AX80002[1] being broken.
The locker can either split in 2 then the axle slips or it can break the 2 little ears off, then the whole thing turns inside the cup. Both will make clicking noises & not drive properly.

If you just chnaged the whole diff I'm little more lost.
Pop out the 5x11x4mm AXA1221 bearing on the inside of the housing that the pinion goes through & check it. that bearing might have failed which is what killed the first set of gears, if it's still dead it could be letting the pinion sit too far away from the ring gear.
Attached Images

altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

yes, i swapped the whole gear like in green and the problems still there, i think i need a whole new gear set....
louis_hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the locker is stripped out inside the plastic case.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #6

Yes, the locker is spinning in the plastic housing. Replace it with a Vanquish Spool and keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000UZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

SO what your saying is his front axle is slipping so the locker is stripped, but he swapped the whole gear & diff to the rear, but the front is still slipping not the rear, but it's the locker?

I'm a believer in swapping to a spool over the stock junk locker but I don't honestly think thats the problem here, though pics would show.
I'm still inclined to think it's a junked inner pinion bearing.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scx10

Axle, differential gears not engaging!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any other Differential Gears Available? 1windsor1 Axial Yeti XL 2 09-02-2015 05:05 AM
Differential gears? irwin16151 Axial Yeti 1 02-26-2015 07:10 PM
Differential Gears tecboy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 02-06-2010 11:15 AM
surging/front axle not engaging Jeepman97tj General Crawlers 1 01-02-2006 02:03 PM