Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: hiding the servo on the front

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default hiding the servo on the front

I have seen a few Wraiths hiding the servo on the front. I love the look that it gives. Very Scale. However how does it preform? I understand having weight down low. but besides that how dose it effect flex?
notajerryskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: hiding the servo on the front

Thats cms or chassis mounted servo, a search in here will find you a bunch of info.

"Very scale" is debatable, in appearance maybe but not always operation, for a rig with full hydraulic steering like a comp truck it's less scale functioning, for a mod'd OEM truck with a steering box it's pretty scale.
Depends entirely on what your building.

The appearance is not without compromise though.

It will result in a little axle swing from the panhard link but thats minor & not a total disaster.
However if set up badly can result in bump steer & that is annoying.
You can have some problems with the panhard interfering with the chassis depending on the set-up, that can limit axle travel.
Kits are various so you'll have to research a bit to see what you like & can afford.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Thats cms or chassis mounted servo, a search in here will find you a bunch of info.

"Very scale" is debatable, in appearance maybe but not always operation, for a rig with full hydraulic steering like a comp truck it's less scale functioning, for a mod'd OEM truck with a steering box it's pretty scale.
Depends entirely on what your building.

The appearance is not without compromise though.

It will result in a little axle swing from the panhard link but thats minor & not a total disaster.
However if set up badly can result in bump steer & that is annoying.
You can have some problems with the panhard interfering with the chassis depending on the set-up, that can limit axle travel.
Kits are various so you'll have to research a bit to see what you like & can afford.
thank you for the info. I pulled the trigger on the Vanquish set up.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the VP setup. My Wraith is lowered, and this has created a problem with the panhard link. It hits on top of the axle, so I have very very limited front suspension movement. I am trying to figure out how to correct this.
Lavigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If hiding it is your goal, how about hiding it BEHIND the front axle? Dlux offers a truss that does just that, offering more compression clearance for your front suspension, gets weight a bit lower, reinforces the axle housing, and I'm sure there are more benefits. It doesn't have the "scale" appearance that a panhard/CMS offers, but as stated, it closer resembles how a 1:1 fully hydraulic steering setup would swing. It's on my short list of remaining purchases for my Wraith: Dlux Fab
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If hiding it is your goal, how about hiding it BEHIND the front axle? Dlux offers a truss that does just that, offering more compression clearance for your front suspension, gets weight a bit lower, reinforces the axle housing, and I'm sure there are more benefits. It doesn't have the "scale" appearance that a panhard/CMS offers, but as stated, it closer resembles how a 1:1 fully hydraulic steering setup would swing. It's on my short list of remaining purchases for my Wraith: Dlux Fab
I"m trying to get the 1/1 scale look with the panhard Or tracking bar.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notajerryskid View Post
I"m trying to get the 1/1 scale look with the panhard Or tracking bar.
I have never understood how a panhard bar is more scale than not having a panhard bar. They are both 100% real.

The only difference is that the CMS or panhard is harder to setup and when youre done, the rig performs worse.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I have never understood how a panhard bar is more scale than not having a panhard bar. They are both 100% real.

The only difference is that the CMS or panhard is harder to setup and when youre done, the rig performs worse.
I see now what you are talking about. It operates ok with stock set up. Add longer shocks and its a no go.

I checked out you site on your truss to hide servo behind it but could not get a good image. Can you post some please?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I see now what you are talking about. It operates ok with stock set up. Add longer shocks and its a no go.

I checked out you site on your truss to hide servo behind it but could not get a good image. Can you post some please?
The full width trusses are aluminium now not carbon & the servo mount is slightly different but this is still pretty much how the dlux truss looks.
Attached Images

altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

There are also a bunch more pictures on my site if you go to the product page. The pictures are below all the pricing options to buy. I just came out with some anodized/re machined versions too.

https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/AR60-Wr...unt/p/29404646
Attached Images

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Not a great pic but I run the Dlux truss on my Bomber. The performance benefits (better steering geometry, lower CG, axle housing strengthening, servo crash protection, etc.) are by far the best feature but the less noticeable servo is an added benefit.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

does the U4 truss add as much strength as "Beef Tubes" do to the axle housing?
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMELESSTGR View Post
does the U4 truss add as much strength as "Beef Tubes" do to the axle housing?
I would say they do, it braces the full width of the housing with delrin and aluminum. They don't make the axle 100% bombproof but neither do Beef Tubes.

It is also worth mentioning, the Dlux truss and Beef Tubes are not mutually exclusive options. They can be run together for the strongest setup a plastic housing could be.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I've been running the Dlux U4 front truss AND beeftubes for awhile now. After repeatedly bombing off of sand dunes (sometimes free falling as much as 20' before landing on the downslope or flat landing from 10'+) I can say that I'm not concerned with housing strength at all. I'll probably rip the shock mounting hardware out long before I need to worry about an axle housing. I also run the stock rear truss on the bottom of my front housing, I just thought it gave a little more authentic look to my Foff type Wraith, definitely wouldn't do that on a crawler but I don't need the ground clearance and it's got to help at least a little with housing strength. YMMV.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

hiding the servo on the front - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your Government hiding from you! EastsideZero Chit Chat 3 12-05-2012 07:33 PM
Hiding wires? rockassassin Electronics 2 02-04-2009 11:06 AM
hiding the antena rachad6 Electronics 5 01-29-2009 09:10 AM
hiding steering servo? Dubs Chops General Scale Talk 18 02-20-2007 07:15 AM