Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 4ws build - help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 4ws build - help needed

Thank you, that's great. I have ordered them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I use the axial alloy ones, VP also makes them I like the clamping type

Hang up and Drive
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

I have yet another bridge to cross here and I could do with a bit of direction again. Don't think that I just ask questions, I am trying to do my homework and I research a lot too. But to be frank, I am usually non the wiser as I read more and more on the subject.

Anyway, I am trying to understand the wheels and foams.

I initially set on the VP OMF wheels which I believe to be 1" wide. However, I am beginning to warm up to their other 1.2" wide offerings. I particularly like the KMC ENDURO 2.2 in black. I have measured the existing wheels and they are a lot wider than either of the VP. I then read lots of stuff on how 1" is superior and then others saying that they should very much be outlawed in favour of much wider wheels. So, I am a lot more confused than I was before I read anything on this. So my question really is, will there be a real difference in the 1" and 1.2"? Please help me to get my head wrapped around this.

I know that I am asking a lot and there is one more related to the wheels and that is about the foams. I have found the Crawling Innovations dual stage foams to fit. If I am not mistaken, I would need the 5.5 version for the Rip Saw tyres. Would that be right? Then, I read that it is recommended to have slightly firmer foams at the back than in the front. Does it make sense to you? Lastly, if I was to choose the between soft, medium or firm outer foam, what I would go for? I am inclined to think medium as the Wraith will have a bit of wight to it with all the upgrade parts. However, what do I know... By the way I fully appreciate this is very personal and situational but I could do with a little bit of concise feedback on this.

I am very thankful for your help, like I said before, I do not have the experience to do this alone.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:08 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Foams are important.
Each tire is different, send Eddie at CI a pm, he will tell you. Always firmer out back, i prefer fat tires, but I don't know better

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Great suggestion, thank you. Eddie replied almost immediately and not only had he recommended the right foams but also suggested the "better" wheels.

So, the fantastic news is that I have everything on order and some of the items already on the way. I am still waiting for some confirmations but it is looking all pretty good.

I must say this was a very expensive exercise, I did not expect it to get as high as it got in the end.

Now I need to put a plan together.

Thank you for all the directions you provided. I owe you a pint or two

Quote:
Foams are important.
Each tire is different, send Eddie at CI a pm, he will tell you. Always firmer out back, i prefer fat tires, but I don't know better

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default 4ws build - help needed

I'll have a black and tan please.

I hear you about the investment. I learned awhile back to buy once. Quality lasts longer and gives more bang. I like to share here what I've also learned here. It's all about having fun without frustration . Looks like you have a grand plan, I can't wait to see it!

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 05-31-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I'll take two pints of Pinkus!

Glad you got the foams figured out. As Mike stated, they can greatly affect performance depending on which one you get.

CIs are very good foams!

Good luck and post up pics.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Cheers to both of you

I have taken the first three small deliveries today and I should have a number of them coming tomorrow as well including the new transmitter Futaba 4PX with which I intend to play with most of the spare time I will get during the weekend.

I think that everything but one item is on its way to me. I am hopping for some of it to sneak in without the extortionate custom charges and VAT, let's keep fingers crossed. The only item should be the lighting for which there is no hurry. I only wanted it here so I could take a look at it and plan ahead.

I am also expecting the spares for the recent breakage. I have used the oversized hubs on all the wheels just to try it out but I am still waiting for the little pin to secure the rear wheel. It has been a long week with no play time.

I plan to swap over the RX in the Wraith for the new Futaba one so I can start using the transmitter and I will see about moving the battery to the front, albeit temporarily for now. I will do it properly once i get the new ESC and and all that lot as I want to work out the routing of the wires etc. I have not ordered the new 3S batteries just yet as I want to see how it all fits first.

The plan I now have is very simple. I will build the new rig taking my time and enjoying the process. The stage one will be a crude set up to get everything hooked up and mechanically sound. The stage two will be a tidy up with some wiring management and little tweaks. Then will come stage three for which I have nothing planned yet and that is the new body work. I honestly do not like the blue Poison Spider body mainly because of the front wheel arches which keep on binding with the front wheels, so I can wait to butcher it to parts I liked some of the CF stuff I have seen, so I might use a little bit of it. Definitely for the inside to provide a base plate for the electronics both in front and rear. The stage four, who knows

I will be taking photos as I work on it, I am actually looking forward to that part too and I will be posting, provided I will get to the post count by then to be able to.

Enough rumbling for now, I will check back in later. Exciting times!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

What i did to torture test my wraith was immediently put in a goolrc 3100kv brushless motor esc combo in a completely stock wraith and see what happens. First thing to go was the steering link and the lower suspention link. 10pc VP set in and i got another 4-5 packs before the next falure. a stripped idler gear, no biggie 7$ later im running again. Next the front dogbone snapped. The metal twisterd and snapped. Let me remind you that theres all plastic gears in the tranny and it broke meta lbefore another one of them. AND that i still am running the stock driveshafts. completely one hundo precent stock. Ive heard of people twisting driveshafts with the stock motor. Also one thing.... i want to run the wriaht this weekend and i cant get parts in by then ( i live in seward alaska..No LHS for me) would it be okay to run 3wd and just have a powerless wheel?
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Luckily I have a new Supershafty bombproof transmission on the way, so there won't be any stripping of the gears there. Thanks for the heads up though.

As for you running your 3wd Wraith, I would not do it if I were you. The reason I say so is because I have done it my self and it damaged the other wheel hub as well. I reckon that your hub will already be somewhat stripped on the broken side and I think there could be a little play which helps to strip the other side. I am literarily looking out for the post man to bring me a new set of hubs so I can get back to running my Wraith. Lastly, having 3wd makes the rig drive to one side in an odd way, so it is not as enjoyable, unless you wanted to do donuts in on direction only (can't believe that I am giving someone an advice already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman View Post
What i did to torture test my wraith was immediently put in a goolrc 3100kv brushless motor esc combo in a completely stock wraith and see what happens. First thing to go was the steering link and the lower suspention link. 10pc VP set in and i got another 4-5 packs before the next falure. a stripped idler gear, no biggie 7$ later im running again. Next the front dogbone snapped. The metal twisterd and snapped. Let me remind you that theres all plastic gears in the tranny and it broke meta lbefore another one of them. AND that i still am running the stock driveshafts. completely one hundo precent stock. Ive heard of people twisting driveshafts with the stock motor. Also one thing.... i want to run the wriaht this weekend and i cant get parts in by then ( i live in seward alaska..No LHS for me) would it be okay to run 3wd and just have a powerless wheel?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman View Post
i want to run the wriaht this weekend and i cant get parts in by then ( i live in seward alaska..No LHS for me) would it be okay to run 3wd and just have a powerless wheel?
3WD sucks! On my B1B, I had a screwshaft that got loose and dropped out which allowed one of the output shafts to spin freely. Truck wouldn't climb right and was constantly fighting the wheel to get the rig to drive straight. Eventually gave up and did the "walk of shame" back to the car.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Grub screws are sooooo cruel

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

The postman has never turned up with the replacement parts, I really hope it will come tomorrow. No transmitter either but that I can live with as I don't really need it yet. I've received the light buckets though and they look good.

So, I have been thinking about the pinions you suggested to me from RR and I found some on ebay and have ordered 10,11,12T versions. They will be coming to me from states which is quite amusing given how tiny of a part it is. The pinion I ordered here is labelled as 3mm and I had a feeling it might not actually fit the HH motor as it is 3.175mm or 1/8". I am curious to find out whether I am just being paranoid or there is some substance to it.

Off for a pint or two...
Old 06-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Default 4ws build - help needed

Pinion shafts come in two flavors 3mm and 5mm your fine

3 is actually 3.2(3.175)..........

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Sounds good regarding the pinion gears. I am actually pleased that I was able to order the RR ones for a reasonable price. It will giver me some options.

I have finally received the spare parts and I had installed the little pin holding the wheels. I hurt my foot a few day ago so I am more or less housebound so I have been messing about in the garden. Having installed the bigger hubs, I kind of like it. The truck seems more stable with it. I am yet to run it trough a proper terrain where I suspect the somewhat reduced clearance in certain places will come trough. Anyway, I have 475 hubs coming to me which sit more or less in the middle and it should make for a good compromise. It was nice to put a pack in after a week of abstinence

I have not received any other significant pieces, just small stuff. I reckon this coming week will see most of the items arriving.

I have been thinking about few things and I could do with a little feedback on those.

1. Screws - Will I need new screws? I think so, at least some. It isn't exactly clear what the VP parts some with. Some have a items list others have no detail. So, is there like a small set you have bought with the appropriate sizes? I don't want to get stuck not having screws when it all comes. I suppose I want to use a good quality but I am not thinking titanium or anything fency for now, that will come later

2. CF panels - What thickness would be advisable for things like mounting plate for the electronics? I am seriously considering being a copycat and put it on a bonnet to because I really like the look of it.

3. Aluminum - What thickness to look for for the body?

I think that I will produce exact drawings to use as a cutting template and I will share those with you if you want them. It will take some time as I will only do it once I am ready to move onto the stage 3 but I reckon I will do it because it should help making new ones a breeze.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Team KNK screw kit, oxide or stainless.
CF no clue!
Aluminum .016 or .025 will work well, I used both on my panels. Bought the CF hood

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

That's great, thank you. I ordered the screws and I will look into the rest of it.

Quote:
Team KNK screw kit, oxide or stainless.
CF no clue!
Aluminum .016 or .025 will work well, I used both on my panels. Bought the CF hood

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

It has been somewhat uneventful few days. I have only received a few more small items but still waiting with no ETA for the important parts. I have, however, managed to get a general plan together for the new body work and I have ordered the stuff for it. I already have a sheet of 0.5mm aluminium sitting here and I think the 2mm carbon will turn up tomorrow. I have also sourced the bits for the bonnet mod and got the screws here too. The transmitter is late but should be with me by Thursday and I am getting a bunch of stuff from the UK supplier tomorrow.

I think I will be able to swap over the shocks for the new ones and hook up the new receiver and transmitter this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Today has been a good day. I have received a parcel full of goodies. I have the new shocks, the R35 Rip Saw tires and other smaller less significant bits. I can see how much difference there is between the tyre compounds. The new tyres are so much more pliable and generally lot softer. I can already imagine what difference it will make with traction. I am not putting them on now as I want to wait for the new wheels to arrive first. I will assemble the shocks over next couple days and I will put them in because I really want to see how they perform. There are a lot chunkier compared to stock. I can already tell that they will need softer springs. I have one set here and another on the way, so I can swap them out to try.

It looks like that the transmitter is going to arrive tomorrow as I have received the notification it finally shipped.

I am getting very excited about putting the new bits on the Wraith.

Best of all, I got home early form work today and took my 2yo to the woods for a walk with our "blue doggie". He is really interested and that makes me very happy.

Pics form the makeover coming soon.

PS: Forgot to mention, he is carrying a spare Lipo in his little backpack
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

It is like Christmas comes early. I have received the transmitter today. I thought I was just going to install the receiver and take it straight out. But, having seen the huge manual, I decided to have a quick read first and do it over the weekend.
I am also expecting a delivery from Honk Hong tomorrow with all the VP stuff. I don't want to jinx it just yet but it looks like it has pretty much slipped in without too much of a VAT or charge. I literarily paid a few quid, so I am happy. I hope the correct items will come in the package when it finally arrives tomorrow.
I also got my CF sheet today and it is a nice material, it is fairly flexible, so I am beginning to warm up to the idea of making a roof out of it as well as the bonnet.
So, I am only waiting for a few minor items and then the important stuff form HH, Supershafty and MIP. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

And the fun begins. I will be filling the shocks.

I found a great instructional video which I am going to be following.
https://youtu.be/s5sBN7U3cjc
Attached Images

4ws build - help needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS SCX10 - Advice needed OvrKll Axial SCX-10 3 11-03-2016 06:42 AM
My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build haleymon Axial Wraith 14 06-28-2015 11:44 PM
4ws spawn build 802coma Axial Wraith 6 01-27-2015 04:21 PM
Bikeboy 4ws (4 wheel steering) Wraith build bikeboy Axial Wraith 7 01-11-2014 07:47 AM
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS BENDER Scale Videos! 21 02-18-2012 10:16 PM