Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 4ws build - help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4ws build - help needed

Those will bleed well, use some green slime on the o rings before filling

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Just curious what transmitter are you running for you 4 wheel steering? I plan on doing this to my wraith down the road.
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Just curious what transmitter are you running for you 4 wheel steering? I plan on doing this to my wraith down the road.

Futaba 4PX he is

I have the 4PLS

Both will do it all for you,and adjustable

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Futaba 4PX he is

I have the 4PLS

Both will do it all for you,and adjustable

Hang up and Drive
Awesome so I was on the right track, those were the 2 I was looking at (although the 4PX is out of price range lol). Last question with those, do they both have a 3 position switch so i can use 2 wheel, 4 wheel, and crab steering?

Last edited by ACU18; 06-08-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

They already have a 4ws steer programmed in .
Here's a taste

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Thank you mike helpful as always. Sorry for the temporary hijacking of your thread kohout.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

You are right Mike, the bled very well indeed. It feels very smooth and proper. I am excited to put them on this weekend.

I did use green slime and thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Those will bleed well, use some green slime on the o rings before filling

Hang up and Drive
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #48
Rock Stacker

I would not say I am running the transmitter just yet, but I will be soon when I will heave read a little more of the manual.

Mike is incredibly helpful! I already feel that I know or have done better thanks to him.

No apology necessary, you are welcome here. After all, it is the topic I have to also research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Thank you mike helpful as always. Sorry for the temporary hijacking of your thread kohout.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I learned here, just passing it on .

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

So, I was talking of early Christmas yesterday. I wonder how to call today then. I have got my parcel from RC Mart which came in shall we say without attracting too much cost which is a great bonus. It was filled with all the VP parts I need from links to wheels and shafts and on and on.

I know than the HH stuff is coming tomorrow as I paid the customs charges today which is brilliant because I will be able to test the transmitter and receiver with all the bits connected on the bench.

The only real downer is that I have realised that I will need extra hardware quite late in the process and even though it is on the way I have no clue how long it will take to come in. And to be honest, I really do not want to start dismantling my Wraith just to get some screws. I know there will come a point when I will have to dig in to get bearings out but it will be only at the time of the swap over. I have not ordered new bearings yet as my Wraith is new and I can surely get some life out of the stock ones and it will allow me to familiarise myself with the whole setup and it will give me things to plan for and look forward to.

I am currently waiting for some knuckle weights which I can frankly fit whenever and foams which can be installed when they come. There are a few more tiny bits but that is it.

I reckon I might find time to put all the screws into the wheels in the evening, there are quite a few to get trough.

Question to finish with. Should I use threadlock on every metal to metal connection? I have blue, green and purple here. I reckon blue is the one to go for, right?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Yes to blue metal to metal.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

I have received the HH gear and I would like to bench test it today if I get time later. It would be great to try it out with the new transmitter which I am not using yet otherwise.

It has been quite busy for me lately and I am beginning to realise this build is going to take me a lot longer than I initially though. It's all good though, I am having a great time going trough all the stuff. I have assembled the beadlock rings to my new wheel threadlocking every one of the little screws. I actually found it very therapeutic and relaxing.

The plan is to break out the new axel housings today and to see what hardware is included with it. I am still waiting for the KNK hardware set to arrive and like I said I don't want to take my Wraith apart just yet. I know there are some screws there but I have no idea whether there are any screws to fix the gears. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Check out the new wheels, they look very pretty. I am not putting tyres on just yet as I have no need for it to be finished and I have a feeling that I have the foams waiting for me at the post office since I've got yet another card with a demand for customs charges.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2017, 03:06 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

This is slightly in a wrong order but that's ok. I was out on Friday with my son again when the 4wd Wraith got converted to front wheel 2wd only. I was not sure at the time but I found that the little pin has gone missing.

This brings me to two conclusions. One, there was no threadlock used there at all as the other pins just came out with no resistance. Two, Wraith is an awesome RTR truck since this and the stripped wheel hubs with a lost pin there have been the only issues since I've got it. The truth is that I seem to hit a lot of things and I drive it fairly rough. It has been great and I am thoroughly impressed. I have ordered the replacement pins so I have them for future.

Meanwhile, I had the new MIP shaft ready to go in, so I have done the swap over yesterday. I slightly puzzled over how it is suppose to be assembled but I got there in the end. It was the little screw holding the pin which I scratched behind my ears for. But it became obvious once I actually put it together.

I found that there were three different lengths of the end bits. I knew the shortest ones were meant to go towards the axels. Well, I actually thought there were two lengths to begin with and I have noticed otherwise once I installed the first shaft on the spur gear side and found it to be too short. I swapped it over using the longest part there but I must say it still seems to just about clear the spur cover. In fact, I think it is chafing a little.

I will be installing the bombproof transmission to the new setup where the clearances might change. Have you experienced this? Do you have any advise on this? Or am I just overcomplicating it and I should let it chafe away. My concern isn't so much for the spur cover being stripped as it is for the transmission to get weird loading and get damaged because of it.

Check out the photos, it shows how close it is.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Thats normal, you can grind some of the spur cover to make it clear just fine if you wanna use it.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

It will clear the motor plate, bit of dremeling on the cover

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdood View Post
Thats normal, you can grind some of the spur cover to make it clear just fine if you wanna use it.
Quote:
It will clear the motor plate, bit of dremeling on the cover

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

So, let's start with the good bits. I have finally found some time today and tested all the HH stuff including the 4ws setup. It is funny how lost I am with the new transmitter, I will really need to spend the time with the manual. It is kind of hard without the bits being installed yet, so I will leave it until later and I will learn to deal with it then. Other than struggling with the settings, I managed to run all the different options and it works fine.

I received the CI foams last week and I have installed them earlier today. This is when I realised I have ordered wrong size wheels. I was going to order 1.2" wide and those I have are only 1" wide. I have played with it and I realised it would be a struggle to put them on, so I ended up ordering new set from VP along with yet another expensive international shipping charge and the customs charge to come. The wheels are available if anyone wants them for a reasonable price.

I have also find that I need imperial sized hex wrenches so I have ordered a set. I really wanted to get a set of MIP tools but I need to be sensible, so I ordered Arrowmax instead for just few quid and I shall get the proper tools later on. The metric wrenches seem to be fine and it is not like I am working with them all day along.

I am still waiting for the hardware to arrive and I really want it here before the swap over as I don't want to get stuck missing screws.

I am beginning to puzzle over the position of the electronics though. I definitely want a large 3S battery, ideally 5500mAh, so it will take the entire slot at the front with no room for receiver next to it. I can see that I can fit the ESC in the front but I can not see being able to fit the receiver there as well, especially if I was to use the stock enclosure which I am rather keen on now I have waterproof motor and ESC. I was thinking about mounting the receiver box at the rear where the battery sits now. I know that it will be more clear once everything is apart and I can just lay it on to see. Any thoughts?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohout View Post

I am beginning to puzzle over the position of the electronics though. I definitely want a large 3S battery, ideally 5500mAh, so it will take the entire slot at the front with no room for receiver next to it. I can see that I can fit the ESC in the front but I can not see being able to fit the receiver there as well, especially if I was to use the stock enclosure which I am rather keen on now I have waterproof motor and ESC. I was thinking about mounting the receiver box at the rear where the battery sits now. I know that it will be more clear once everything is apart and I can just lay it on to see. Any thoughts?
Without doing any major modifications, the Receiver can still fit up front even with a large battery up front.

Below was my Wraith that fit 5000mah 3s with the receiver in the stock position. I did have to drill a hole in the top to have the wires routed up top instead of behind it.

But now I'm using the CI electronics plate and am able to slide the receivers box even more forward so the wire can clear behind the box, so I don't have to run it up top. This keeps the box watertight.

But you could run the box in the rear where the battery is, or put the ESC there. You'll need to extend the wires in either case.

Or even put the box in the cab. I recall having room for it when I was trying to figure out positioning. Point is, you have options.

Currently, I mounted a plate on top of the tranny, where the Dig Servo would go, and mount the ESC on to that. I'm using the large Castle MMX ESC and the interior still fit.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Also your rx might mount on the underside of the hood, servo tape will work

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Thank you again. I will use my judgment when it comes to it but I can see there are multiple options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Without doing any major modifications, the Receiver can still fit up front even with a large battery up front.

Below was my Wraith that fit 5000mah 3s with the receiver in the stock position. I did have to drill a hole in the top to have the wires routed up top instead of behind it.

But now I'm using the CI electronics plate and am able to slide the receivers box even more forward so the wire can clear behind the box, so I don't have to run it up top. This keeps the box watertight.

But you could run the box in the rear where the battery is, or put the ESC there. You'll need to extend the wires in either case.

Or even put the box in the cab. I recall having room for it when I was trying to figure out positioning. Point is, you have options.

Currently, I mounted a plate on top of the tranny, where the Dig Servo would go, and mount the ESC on to that. I'm using the large Castle MMX ESC and the interior still fit.
Quote:
Also your rx might mount on the underside of the hood, servo tape will work

Hang up and Drive

4ws build - help needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS SCX10 - Advice needed OvrKll Axial SCX-10 3 11-03-2016 06:42 AM
My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build haleymon Axial Wraith 14 06-28-2015 11:44 PM
4ws spawn build 802coma Axial Wraith 6 01-27-2015 04:21 PM
Bikeboy 4ws (4 wheel steering) Wraith build bikeboy Axial Wraith 7 01-11-2014 07:47 AM
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS BENDER Scale Videos! 21 02-18-2012 10:16 PM