Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 4ws build - help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 4ws build - help needed

I have received the hardware set from Team KNK today. I am very pleased with the speed of delivery and it slipped under the radar as well which is a bonus. This had allowed me to mount the spool/lockers to the axle gears and moved me closer to the finishing line.

It has also given me the screws to attache the HH motor to the Supersfaty transmission. Now, I have a dilemma as for how to mount the pinion gear to mesh properly. When I install it the "right way" with the pin screw towards the motor there is a little disparity in the position of the pinion and the spur gear. It is off by about 1.5mm. It doesn't let the pinion slip in any further as there is a widening of the motor shaft there. When I flip the pinion around, it meshes "perfectly" but the pin screw of the pinion is all the way at the end of the motor shaft. In fact, the shaft is not even all the way trough the pinion. It is about 1mm in with the pin screw barely holding the end of the shaft. I can push the pinion further down the shaft to get the pinion and the motor shaft flushed but that means it is not mesh 100% anymore. I could really do with some guidance on this, please.

Take a look at the photos, please.
Attached Images

kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

I have finished the axle housings yesterday. I love them, they look great. It is a lot of blink but they feel really solid. I know there will be battle scars on them soon but that is to be expected.

I am yet to install the universals and the knuckles for which I will have to take my Wraith apart to get the bearings, so I am holding off until I have the other stuff worked out.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Is the pinion a 3.2mm ?
If so switch to a 5mm and use an adaptor sleeve.
The 5mm pinions have teeth that are longer.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

That is so odd.

I never experienced that with a 1/8" (3.2mm) pinion nor the 5mm.

Here is a pic of the 1/8" RR pinion. Don't mind the fact that it's chewed up, b/c it wasn't their XHard or Absolute. Just standard, but you can see it should fit fine.

But if you prefer, this is the sleeve you're looking for to fit the 5mm pinions.

*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Default 4ws build - help needed

Just thought of this, if you are running the bombproof trans do you have two old bearings or bushings behind the Robinson ?
You need those to stop the movement front to back of the big slipper assy.

You can see one bearing in this picture

That must be it, your picture shows a white spacer between the bearing and spring. Remove that and install the two bearings behind. (On Super Shafty Website). See how our clutches are both set bearing, collar , spring, nut

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-14-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #66
Rock Stacker

Yes, it is the 3.2mm version. I am a little peed off as I have ordered 10t, 11t & 12t versions and none of them will do it for me now. Well, there might be a next project in the future, so I might still use it elsewhere.

I can now see what the issue is and how it is possible that your's clears well. The motor shaft gets wider towards the motor. The 5mm pinion on top of the reducer clears this widening and therefore mashes properly.

I have ordered the 12t 32p 5mm and the reducer and it is coming from states, so I have another week and half or two of waiting

I wish the UK scene was as well developed and stocked...

PS: Forgot to say, thank you for the feedback
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Respace your slipper, all the pinions should then fit.
Assembly error..... easy quick fix

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, Mike is on to something. You don't need new pinions, you need to put the bearings in as spacer behind the spur.

I assumed you bought your tranny from Supershafty, so they should've already included the "spacers" in there.

See below pic. I had this pic buried in one of my other build threads. I built the "bombproof" tranny from scratch, and it took me a while to realize I needed these bearings to use as spacers, so I ran the truck with out it until I started hearing some grinding noise... figured it out shortly after.

You can see the two bearings on the top shaft just behind the pin. You need these to keep the spur from moving and it will position the spur perfectly for your 3.2mm pinions (and 5mm for that matter).

*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

I have purchased the transmission from Supershafty directly. It came assembled differently with a a derlin spacer instead of the spring.

I took it apart to see if I could change it around and it does not seem to be the case.

I took a couple of photos showing the parts taken off the shaft. Read them like a book they are in the order as they go back on.

I also looked at the pin position in the shaft a it is to close to the body of the transmission for me to fit anything there.

Take a lok please and let me know what you think if you could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Respace your slipper, all the pinions should then fit.
Assembly error..... easy quick fix

Hang up and Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Yeah, Mike is on to something. You don't need new pinions, you need to put the bearings in as spacer behind the spur.

I assumed you bought your tranny from Supershafty, so they should've already included the "spacers" in there.

See below pic. I had this pic buried in one of my other build threads. I built the "bombproof" tranny from scratch, and it took me a while to realize I needed these bearings to use as spacers, so I ran the truck with out it until I started hearing some grinding noise... figured it out shortly after.

You can see the two bearings on the top shaft just behind the pin. You need these to keep the spur from moving and it will position the spur perfectly for your 3.2mm pinions (and 5mm for that matter).
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Take the two narrow washers and the delrin one, place behind the pin. There should be just enough room to put the pin in. Send Mike here a PM , he will reply.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

I know what you are saying but there does not seem to be enough room there for it. I looks like we have different parts on our transmissions.

I've emailed him, so will wait and see.

Thank you.

Btw, we had a great day in the woods with my little son today. He really enjoys running about with me and the Wraith. We seem to make it further and further each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Take the two narrow washers and the delrin one, place behind the pin. There should be just enough room to put the pin in. Send Mike here a PM , he will reply.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Kool beans !
I built mine with his parts, he told us about the bearings. Teng, another member here had the same issue, no bearings, his topshaft had play, I'm thinking that's the Shafty Way, seems simple and less weight than bearings

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #73
SuperShafty.com

hey. guys. here i am!!!

tom. you got the white spacer and spring washers as part of a new trial run. ill send you a realmspring to put on as well. your transmission did not come with the bearing spacers because some assembliengo
together so tightly there is no need for the spacers to stop the in and out movement of the spur.
also you may have issues trying to put on some bearing s as spacers because vanquish has added material in their cases and two bearings is too thick. i have taken to grinding down a bearing to make them fit. i will send the right bearings to you as well

now the main issue. the pinion.
in your 3rd picture in post 61 that looks perfect. just make sure you use locktite on the set screw. i have to run a a lot of my trucks like that because of the motor pinion shaft is too short. you should not encounter any issues running
your truck like that. i even have one motor shaft that is so short only have the set screw engages the shaft. i've run it
like that for over a year with no problems.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I will be delighted if you were to send me those parts, thank you.

As for the pinion, if you say it is no issue, I am happy to go with that. I was concerned about the grab screw at the very end of the motor shaft could be problematic. I trust your expertise and I will follow your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
hey. guys. here i am!!!

tom. you got the white spacer and spring washers as part of a new trial run. ill send you a realmspring to put on as well. your transmission did not come with the bearing spacers because some assembliengo
together so tightly there is no need for the spacers to stop the in and out movement of the spur.
also you may have issues trying to put on some bearing s as spacers because vanquish has added material in their cases and two bearings is too thick. i have taken to grinding down a bearing to make them fit. i will send the right bearings to you as well

now the main issue. the pinion.
in your 3rd picture in post 61 that looks perfect. just make sure you use locktite on the set screw. i have to run a a lot of my trucks like that because of the motor pinion shaft is too short. you should not encounter any issues running
your truck like that. i even have one motor shaft that is so short only have the set screw engages the shaft. i've run it
like that for over a year with no problems.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

I was visiting a friend the day before yesterday and I took my Wraith with us. They have a tiny garden full of stuff and I managed to hit something hard and I broke the front shock housing, so the shock fell apart.

This had prompted me to install the ProLine Power Strokes which I should have installed a while ago and never got around to it.

I have also installed the VP titanium links apart of those for steering which I will do after the new axle housing goes on with a new servo.

I am impressed with the shocks. The wraith no longer suffers with the torque twist and it is lot more planted in turns. And this is with me having no knowledge of tuning the shocks using the right springs and preloads. All what I have done was to use the softest set of springs in the front and one up at the rear. I would have used the softest all around but I am yet to receive the second set of springs. Ultimately, the rig is going to get heavier so I might get to play with all sorts of combinations. So, shocks are awesome and they have improved the rig.

As for the links, it is to early to say and it is hard to compare it for me. We have been out with my son this afternoon and I have been able to get over some obstacles easier but then I thought I was getting stuck on others. I think I need to reposition the links to get the best clearance. I suppose I will just search for some photos and look for some guidance there.

I am beginning to notice the servo and the motor are both becoming weaker or it could be the little extra weight. I am not bothered about it too much as I have all these great new parts sitting here ready to go.

Next step will be the body work as it is the next logical step. I will butcher the existing and do the bonnet mod. I will then use the parts as templates for making the new in the future. This will allow me to get to the front and make the plate for the electronics which is the other item on the list following with the plate at the rear where the ESC is most likely to go.

I am getting better at driving it and I am having such a great time with this hobby. I am very happy. It is great to have found these forums and you helpful guys as well. It helps me get away from my otherwise busy and stressful life and that is fantastic.

PS: I made a cock up when fixing the new lower links. I have put the screw there wrong way around and I am really struggling getting it out. In fact, I gave up on it with hope it will vibrate out once we get out. Well, it has a little but I stupidly pushed it back in again so I am back at square one. I have ordered some replacements as I fear I will loose it when out and about. I wonder if anyone has any tip how to get it out. I don't necessarily want to drive the truck this way.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #76
SuperShafty.com

sounds good man. Ill mail some out to you this week. Bearings and a spring.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #77
Rock Stacker

Great, thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
sounds good man. Ill mail some out to you this week. Bearings and a spring.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

I thought I would check in quick since I have been quiet for last few days. It has been very hot in London and I can't get myself to work in my office which is boiling. I have not done any large updates because of it. The mercury had dropped down a little now, so I should have a chance to make a move on next week after my family departs from their short visit.

Nevertheless, there are a few new bits. The biggest one is that I have swapped over the receiver, finally. I like using the new Futaba 4PX. Although it is heavier than the RTR transmitter it fits better in the hand and I can see how awesome it will be using it in the future once I get to know it a little better. I am really itching to start all the tuning processes once the main part of the build is over. I've been out with it about four times now and I love it. The only downsides I see is a poor quality plastic over the screen which scratches just by me looking at it. I have got some screen protectors now so it is not a biggie but they could have done a lot better in this department. And one more related issue, I noticed it lets dust underneath that plastic which then sits there permanently. This is perhaps even bigger disappointment. I get it, it is not to look pretty but to function well and I trust it will do just that and more.

Other than this, I have stripped another plastic wheel hub which I now think is a rather week point on a Wraith. Luckily, I had the VP parts here so I swapped it over and all is well. I am much happier with the more robust design of the VP setup.

I had the first frame fracture. On of the short parts holding the front bumper cracked at the joint. I have ordered a replacement which is with me now and I will get it sorted when I have a moment. I also want to have a go at fixing the frame. I have picked up JB Weld Plastic bonder and I will try to glue it together.

Lastly, I have done a fair bit of driving in the last week or so because our local forest was a good refuge from the heat. I am getting the hang of it and having a great time

Time to get going to the woods...

4ws build - help needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS SCX10 - Advice needed OvrKll Axial SCX-10 3 11-03-2016 06:42 AM
My Scratch 4WS Wraith Build haleymon Axial Wraith 14 06-28-2015 11:44 PM
4ws spawn build 802coma Axial Wraith 6 01-27-2015 04:21 PM
Bikeboy 4ws (4 wheel steering) Wraith build bikeboy Axial Wraith 7 01-11-2014 07:47 AM
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS BENDER Scale Videos! 21 02-18-2012 10:16 PM