Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Punch holes in tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #1

Default Punch holes in tires?

Does anyone punch a couple of holes in each tire to drain water/dirt out better? I was changing my tires and foams to different wheels and was suprised at how much water was inside each tire after a couple of creek adventures. Tell me what you all think about punching holes. Thanks
RCDad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Punch holes in tires?

Many punch holes in the tread area. If I know they may get wet at all I found a very hot old copper hanger tip poked in between treads works good. As you drive normal the water etc works it's way right out. I do 2 holes a tire.
CrawlinMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Many punch holes in the tread area. If I know they may get wet at all I found a very hot old copper hanger tip poked in between treads works good. As you drive normal the water etc works it's way right out. I do 2 holes a tire.
- I like to go swimming and play in the mud/muck, so I absolutely have both the tire and rim vented. Especially if you stuffed your tires w a quality foam and don't wanna break all 4 down just to them dry.
2 holes per rubber and 1 per rim. As the tire rolls it simply squishes the water out, or when done simply grab Tire and squeeze the water out- careful!
Many different way to skin a cat- hot solder iron (stinky!),exacto knife, coat hanger, awl, my go to method is a leather punch. I grabbed mine at Micheal crafts in leather areas for $10, it has multiple diff tips for varying size holes.

Last edited by Rock Farmer; 06-19-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Same old story.
Vent tires and use closed cell foams. Closed cell doesn't hold water.
Leather punch is cheap and easy

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I use a piece of 5mm steel tube (id 4mm). I ground the edges (like sharpening a pencil) until sharp and then use a hammer to punch the holes out on an old sledge hammer handle. I've got 4 per tyre.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
I use a piece of 5mm steel tube (id 4mm). I ground the edges (like sharpening a pencil) until sharp and then use a hammer to punch the holes out on an old sledge hammer handle. I've got 4 per tyre.
Damn those are big holes!

I don't punch holes in my tires. I run in lots of water.

Closed cell foams are way too firm for my light rigs. I get much better performance with open-cell or dual-stage foams in sealed tires (no holes punched) than I do with punched tires with closed-cell foams.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I run the other way completely! I run RC4WD rims that make the tires air tight. Handy in the wet UK. TSL XLs and stock foams. Still plenty of give in the tire and crawls well. ��
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I run the other way completely! I run RC4WD rims that make the tires air tight. Handy in the wet UK. TSL XLs and stock foams. Still plenty of give in the tire and crawls well. í*½í¸

Until you get a pinhole in one and it lets air out but not really back in like I did on a set once. Literally gives you a flat tire lol. Or travel 700 miles a day like I often do. I put together a sealed set in Illinois only to have them super aired up in Utah. Then reseal and have 4 flats back in Ohio lol. I vent now. The tires.
CrawlinMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Oh aye. I run that risk. I have (Touch wood) never punctured a Proline TSL yet and this isn't my first set.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Punch holes in tires? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I Drill holes in Tires? Double Deuces foam and Pit Bull Tires. Mayday! Axial Wraith 17 03-19-2015 09:11 AM
Holes in tires? novarider Axial SCX-10 14 10-14-2014 03:33 PM
Ottsix Voodoo U4 on YETI- Punch vent hole in tires? ratrod63 Axial Yeti 9 10-07-2014 02:17 PM
Putting holes in my tires arcticjeff Newbie General 10 02-11-2009 10:46 AM