Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondraper25 View Post
I never understood the "bashing" rigs. I mean I beat the hell out of my sons rig, but only in a trail riding / rock bouncing way.
Mine will be mostly for my rottweiler to chase around the yard, and for my wife to drive around on the off chance she wants to run something around.
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Mine will be mostly for my rottweiler to chase around the yard, and for my wife to drive around on the off chance she wants to run something around.
Makes sense. My dog sits at the top of the hill while I'm bouncing up over it. I swear she's judging me while she watches.
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

A few additions this weekend. I tore down the Spartan buggy so I could mount these axles for mock up. I will not be using those links. I'm not going to name the manufacture, but I am extremely disappointed. I am only using them for mock up, and even for that they suck.
If I were to do a scale engine in this rig, it's going to be mid-engine. In the front I will house the ESC and receiver. On each corner I will have one King 120mm Coil over and one King 120mm shock. Basically just a coil over with out the coils. Picture Tim Cameron's Unfinished Business.
Where the cockpit is not symmetrical, the front and rear will be fairly symmetrical. I only did this because I wanted the cage to wrap around the driver. What do y'all think?
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Nice work! As I've said already you inspired me to give it a try. I got all the materials to fab something up. Going to try and do a new roof brace on for my wraith. I like how your cage looks, the way it's off centered. A scale engine definitely needs to find a home in this build.
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Nice work! As I've said already you inspired me to give it a try. I got all the materials to fab something up. Going to try and do a new roof brace on for my wraith. I like how your cage looks, the way it's off centered. A scale engine definitely needs to find a home in this build.
Totally agree about the scale engine. I was looking at the 1/6th scale engines, but they are way too big. I haven't been able to find any 1/10th scale engines. So I will keep looking. Hoping to find someone who can 3d print me an LS7. I think it'll be a good fit.

Make sure you let me know when you post pics of your fab. I can't wait to see it.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I kind of hit the wall with this thing this week. I did not like the front clip, and the back half I built was not square. So I started over.

I ordered the King 120mm shocks, but in the mean time I made some solid links to put in place so I could make the shock mounts.

Remember that the cockpit is asymmetrical, so I have to mate the back half and front clip up and make them fit (not look terrible) and be square or symmetrical. This is proving to be a lot more work than I thought. I am finding myself regretting this decision more than I am happy I went this route. But I will finish. The good news is, if I really don't like it or this design doesn't drive well, I'll scrap it / or sell it and build something else.

What do y'all think? Please any feed back is welcome. Good or bad.

RCCLTW!
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Hello,

Today I worked on the dual shock towers for the front shocks. They are far from done, but I just wanted to get something up for y'all to digest before I finish them off. Let me know what you think.

RCCLTW!
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I don't like the looks of those mounts. I was going to drill some holes in it, and try and beautify it, but after getting my shocks, I'm deciding to re-do / re-design these shock towers.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I decided clean up the tube work on the roof and on the passenger side of the cockpit. This is what I have so far.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I'm content with the way the passenger side of the cockpit came out. Any feed back?
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I decided to go with a more simple shock hoop design. I still need to make the mounts, but I am waiting for the second set of King shocks that I will use as actual shocks (just going to remove the coils). The pictures below will give you an idea of what it will look like. Please, any comments or ideas are most appreciated.

RCCLTW!
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

the updated cage does look better than before.

And Nice custom frame work, btw.. I can see your skills are improving with each post pic.

I plan to get into this at some point.
Will practice when I build a loaner rig for my kids friends to play with.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
the updated cage does look better than before.

And Nice custom frame work, btw.. I can see your skills are improving with each post pic.

I plan to get into this at some point.
Will practice when I build a loaner rig for my kids friends to play with.
Thank you for the compliments! I am already planning for the next build after this one. I think I am inadvertently headed for being the Tim Cameron of the RC Rock Bouncer world. I'll probably be rockin' a new buggy this time next year.

This is will allow for my son and I and even one or two of his friends to be able to enjoy this awesome hobby together!

Let me know if you need any help. I'm no expert, but I can pass along my lessons learned. I can't wait to see your build, so keep me posted.

RCCLTW!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

RC Command update: What's up every body. I'm on leave at the moment, but I wanted to show the progress I made just before I left. When I return, I will be with my son, and can't wait to put him to work on designing and fabricating on this thing so we can get out on the trail.
I have found a 1/10th scale 454 ci engine I will be mounting mid engine in this pig. So hopefully not only will it perform well, but it will pass the scale look test as well.

As always we love your comments. Please let us know what you think.

RCCLTW!
Attached Images

RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wraith based FJ40 build DrewHammer 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 08-22-2013 04:44 PM