Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based)

Hello from the RC Command post. I'd like to introduce our newest build. If you haven't been following the Spartan Buggy build, check it out, if you have then you know that we are building that rig for my 12 yo son Ethan.
The Ranger Buggy build is for Dad. I have fallen in love with this hobby. You will read on the Spartan Buggy thread that it started out as a budget build. But I will be the first to admit, that did not hold long. The Ranger Buggy is definitely not going to be a budget build.
The Ranger Buggy is Wraith based. But honestly the only thing it is going to have that is original Axial, is the skid plate. We are not building this for any competitions, we are building this so we can enjoy the hobby together!

Below are pictures of the build, and a few mock ups. This is an asymmetrical design, and we will be using mostly SSD parts. Let us know what you think.
Attached Images

dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based)

Nice! Very impressive. Looks like you'll have some serious clearance with your design too.

Look forward to seeing more!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

*OLD*, when you say clearance, do you mean in the cock pit, or the suspension?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondraper25 View Post
*OLD*, when you say clearance, do you mean in the cock pit, or the suspension?
I meant under the skid. Looks like you built your cage to attach to the skid like the "Flat Belly Mod" that I see some folks do here with their Wraith for added clearance.
Smart
Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok thank you for clearing that up. I'm learning. So I take all comments and advice serious. We want this thing to be low and wide.

SSD Trailing arms just showed up.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Low and Wide is good. That's what I just did with the Wraith. Could use more clearance like yours though.

What plans do you have for your axles to make them wider?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Man I have had such good luck with the SSD Diamond axles with SSD knuckles and C's, that I am going to stick with them. The only difference between this build and the Spartan Buggy is that the rear axle will be a steering axle as well. I will use VP hex adapters, and the hub adapters to get just a little bit more width. This is going to be a rock bouncer looking build. I study Madram11 and BustedKnuckle videos day and night.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If that is coated brake line, be sure to scrape/sand that coating off your joints. You'll have a much stronger joint.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yes sir, I learned that with the back half I did on the Spartan Buggy. Good call.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Like I said, the rear suspension will be a trailing arm set up. We chose these SSD trailing arms because they are beefy looking. We also plan on running secondary shocks on all four corners. So this trailing arm, with multiple mounts available, will be a perfect fit.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Man I have had such good luck with the SSD Diamond axles with SSD knuckles and C's, that I am going to stick with them. The only difference between this build and the Spartan Buggy is that the rear axle will be a steering axle as well. I will use VP hex adapters, and the hub adapters to get just a little bit more width. This is going to be a rock bouncer looking build. I study Madram11 and BustedKnuckle videos day and night.
The SSD Centered Yeti wide is a nice way to get that wide base for the rear. You don't have to run wide hubs that put a lot of stress/leverage on the axles with this setup.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Good call! I do want to go rear steer with this buggy though. Are there any centered axles with rear steer out there? Has anyone seen one? I've seen Harley shorten axles, so I know it's possible.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Very cool, I look forward to seeing more. I wonder how long it will take me to brave such a custom job.
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That's right, I forgot you were doing 4WS. I've seen some folks running centered up front (not the Yeti wide though), so I know it can be done, but I'm guessing you'll need to modify the axles to fit. Probably not worth it.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I have read the spartan build... Great Job! This build is equally impressive so far. I am about to brave into the world of custom frames myself. I just posted my first thread of my first wraith a few days ago. It truly is an addicting hobby. Just out of curiosity how are you doing yours? I saw its coated brake line and the torch in the background, are you brazing?
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thank you all so much for the feed back and comments. It really means a lot.

KOHOUT - I am motivated by my son. He's 12 and at that point where if I'm not in to something that he's in to, I shouldn't plan on seeing him much. I think it's a combination of it being the 21st century, and the fact that he's 12 going on 18. I had such a good time modifying his Wraith (Spartan Buggy), that I decided to try my hand at a custom built chassis, with a Wraith skid of course.

*Old* - I'm trackin' the centered front axles, but I'm only planning on using Wraith based axles. Maybe one day I will attempt a centered pumpkin, rear steer SSD / VP axle. In the mean time I'll use Diamond axles again, so far the estimate for the axles alone are a c hair under $1k. Please understand that the price includes EVERYTHING! To include steering servos.

ACU18 - Yes, I am brazing. I got all my tools from every day stores that are in most areas. Like Harbor Freight and Home Depot and Autozone. My recommendation with the brake line is to make sure that the coating is completely ground off. I will also fish mouth the tube to make it a tighter fit. I will take pictures of the torch, and gas, and solder that I use. I will also take pictures of the fish mouth technique I'm doing. I'm sure it's all common sense, but for those who don't know I hope it helps. These are just some of the techniques I learned when I went to Wyo Tech and spent a decade in the automotive industry before enlisting in the military.

I have fallen for this hobby hard, so I could sit here and BS with y'all all day. All I can say is don't be afraid to buy some tube, and just start bending it up. I pay $7 for a stick that is almost as tall as I am. I screw up all the time, you can't be afraid to fail. Make sure you come back and post your build threads so I can check them out and support y'all too!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the feed back and comments. It really means a lot.

KOHOUT - I am motivated by my son. He's 12 and at that point where if I'm not in to something that he's in to, I shouldn't plan on seeing him much. I think it's a combination of it being the 21st century, and the fact that he's 12 going on 18. I had such a good time modifying his Wraith (Spartan Buggy), that I decided to try my hand at a custom built chassis, with a Wraith skid of course.

*Old* - I'm trackin' the centered front axles, but I'm only planning on using Wraith based axles. Maybe one day I will attempt a centered pumpkin, rear steer SSD / VP axle. In the mean time I'll use Diamond axles again, so far the estimate for the axles alone are a c hair under $1k. Please understand that the price includes EVERYTHING! To include steering servos.

ACU18 - Yes, I am brazing. I got all my tools from every day stores that are in most areas. Like Harbor Freight and Home Depot and Autozone. My recommendation with the brake line is to make sure that the coating is completely ground off. I will also fish mouth the tube to make it a tighter fit. I will take pictures of the torch, and gas, and solder that I use. I will also take pictures of the fish mouth technique I'm doing. I'm sure it's all common sense, but for those who don't know I hope it helps. These are just some of the techniques I learned when I went to Wyo Tech and spent a decade in the automotive industry before enlisting in the military.

I have fallen for this hobby hard, so I could sit here and BS with y'all all day. All I can say is don't be afraid to buy some tube, and just start bending it up. I pay $7 for a stick that is almost as tall as I am. I screw up all the time, you can't be afraid to fail. Make sure you come back and post your build threads so I can check them out and support y'all too!
Haha as soon as I saw the hair comment to *Old* I knew you were in the military! That's an Artillerymen's favorite phrase when making small movements. Nice to meet another Vet.
I'm not afraid to make mistakes, just haven't gotten that far yet. I'm 100% sure I'll mess up... but that's a good way to learn.
I agree with you, I could talk all day about this stuff.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Haha as soon as I saw the hair comment to *Old* I knew you were in the military! That's an Artillerymen's favorite phrase when making small movements. Nice to meet another Vet.
I'm not afraid to make mistakes, just haven't gotten that far yet. I'm 100% sure I'll mess up... but that's a good way to learn.
I agree with you, I could talk all day about this stuff.
I had to go back and re-read my comment. I try my best to speak normal talk on these forums, but I do slip. I'm a communicator. Stationed at Fort Benning.

If you have an interest in building your own chassis, it's seriously cheap to buy a Wraith skid that is less than $15, then pick up factory parts as you go, and could probably have a way more bad ass rig than anything you can buy from a hobby shop. It's just my train of thought.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I had to go back and re-read my comment. I try my best to speak normal talk on these forums, but I do slip. I'm a communicator. Stationed at Fort Benning.

If you have an interest in building your own chassis, it's seriously cheap to buy a Wraith skid that is less than $15, then pick up factory parts as you go, and could probably have a way more bad ass rig than anything you can buy from a hobby shop. It's just my train of thought.
Makes perfect sense. The wraith I'm working on is my first battery rig. I had a few nitros. The only nitro I have left is a Revo 3.3 that I'm also in the process of converting to electric, mainly just for some serious bashing fun. Once I get a little more knowledge under my belt with the electronics I'll try a full custom.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Makes perfect sense. The wraith I'm working on is my first battery rig. I had a few nitros. The only nitro I have left is a Revo 3.3 that I'm also in the process of converting to electric, mainly just for some serious bashing fun. Once I get a little more knowledge under my belt with the electronics I'll try a full custom.
I never understood the "bashing" rigs. I mean I beat the hell out of my sons rig, but only in a trail riding / rock bouncing way.

RC CMD Ranger Buggy Build (Wraith Based) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wraith based FJ40 build DrewHammer 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 08-22-2013 04:44 PM