Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rock Racer Servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rock Racer Servo?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before. However the threads I found were either old or for crawlers. My question is what servo should I be running on my wraith? I want to setup my wraith for recon g6 or u4rc style running. I am definitely setting up more for the racer side than full on crawling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My build thread "Blue" another new guy with a spawn
ACU18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Rock Racer Servo?

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Read through this, new version is out and in stock. You won't be sorry.

Shameless self promotion of a crappy video!

https://youtu.be/-Cxm6Zutzg8

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-07-2017 at 04:41 PM.
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Rock Racer Servo?

Awesome, I'll check them out. Nothing wrong with promoting your vids.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACU18 View Post
Awesome, I'll check them out. Nothing wrong with promoting your vids.

I like my Savox SW-1211SG Servo was because it is waterproof as I like to enjoy the water and mud condition. So if you would like to play in mud, river and even in heavy raining day like me. maybe waterproof servo is good for you. my 0.2 sen here
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I don't race u4rc, but I'd imagine you'd be looking for the same features that I would for an Foff rig. Durability being more important than all out speed or power, especially since none of us seem to run servo savers and will see high shock loads that crawlers generally don't see (on purpose), like when landing a jump on one wheel. The 3 servo's that come to mind (in no particular order) are the Promodeler 420 (now 470), Savox 1283sg, and Savox 2290.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I don't race u4rc, but I'd imagine you'd be looking for the same features that I would for an Foff rig. Durability being more important than all out speed or power, especially since none of us seem to run servo savers and will see high shock loads that crawlers generally don't see (on purpose), like when landing a jump on one wheel. The 3 servo's that come to mind (in no particular order) are the Promodeler 420 (now 470), Savox 1283sg, and Savox 2290.
I didn't know RC Foff was a thing (not sure why I was surprised). Yes durability is definitely important as well as performance. I don't mind ponying up for good parts for the build since I don't want to be buying the same part multiple times. I appreciate the input and will check them out.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I didn't know RC Foff was a thing (not sure why I was surprised). Yes durability is definitely important as well as performance. I don't mind ponying up for good parts for the build since I don't want to be buying the same part multiple times. I appreciate the input and will check them out.
This is a very important point to make. It took me several times of buying cheap motors and ESC's before I learned my lesson. Spend the money, ONCE!!!
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That is why I recommend the PM 470. Google it , try to find failures, or even badmouthing .... NADA, that sold me.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
That is why I recommend the PM 470. Google it , try to find failures, or even badmouthing .... NADA, that sold me.

Hang up and Drive
That's always a huge selling point.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lol... you are gonna get a million different answers on this one. Can o' worms dude!

I use Savox and Holmes Hobbies servos BTW...
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I am running Savox 2271's on both of my builds. I'm not racing like you spoke about, but I am rock bouncing, which does require quite a bit of strength and consistency. Just my two pennies.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
Lol... you are gonna get a million different answers on this one. Can o' worms dude!

I use Savox and Holmes Hobbies servos BTW...
I'm sure I did lol... but you know... cast a net and see what you get.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm sure I did lol... but you know... cast a net and see what you get.
Amen
Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have two new $100.00 servos. Both top quality.
One has gears and posts as repair parts. One doesn't need them. Your choice.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I have two new $100.00 servos. Both top quality.
One has gears and posts as repair parts. One doesn't need them. Your choice.

Hang up and Drive
I'd love to have a new servo to replace my poc Tactic TSX45 that I got with the trade with my kit.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I can see it now, I'm going to have to start a go fund me account to pay for this build with all the upgrades I want lol.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ugh, why didn't I think of that.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #18
RCC Addict

This is one of those things that sometimes generates more questions than answers & a bit like any discussion of tires sometimes brings out more brand allegiances than actual experience.
My 2c is you want something above 400oz torque. My rigs stay out of water so WP has never been a criteria for me.
I know that seems like a lot but my own previous experience & also that of many others is that while 200oz is enough to turn the wheels a servo of that torque doesn't seem to have the durability required for U4 style racing.
I can't say exactly why as I've never dug that far into the internals, maybe better/bigger pins, gears etc but if they're designed to output fairly big torque they seem to take a beating.

As a side note, using the shortest servo horn you can while still getting knuckle travel will help save the servo, short arm/less leverage applied to the servo from a wheel hit.
Bonus is it increase force from servo applied to wheel

My personal preference has been for Hitec 7950 servos but the plastic case top has been my Achilles heel with these & I'm seriously looking closer at the PM & Savox units now for their all alloy cases.

Savox used to be notorious for causing radio glitches but it seems they are simply amp hungry & most esc struggle to pull 3s down to 6v through their internal bec & still have any amps left.
An external bec has been the go to solution for this. More recent models of esc have better in built bec & depending on unit this may solve the problem.
Using a HV servo at 7.4v also takes some load off the bec circuits
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
This is one of those things that sometimes generates more questions than answers & a bit like any discussion of tires sometimes brings out more brand allegiances than actual experience.
My 2c is you want something above 400oz torque. My rigs stay out of water so WP has never been a criteria for me.
I know that seems like a lot but my own previous experience & also that of many others is that while 200oz is enough to turn the wheels a servo of that torque doesn't seem to have the durability required for U4 style racing.
I can't say exactly why as I've never dug that far into the internals, maybe better/bigger pins, gears etc but if they're designed to output fairly big torque they seem to take a beating.

As a side note, using the shortest servo horn you can while still getting knuckle travel will help save the servo, short arm/less leverage applied to the servo from a wheel hit.
Bonus is it increase force from servo applied to wheel

My personal preference has been for Hitec 7950 servos but the plastic case top has been my Achilles heel with these & I'm seriously looking closer at the PM & Savox units now for their all alloy cases.

Savox used to be notorious for causing radio glitches but it seems they are simply amp hungry & most esc struggle to pull 3s down to 6v through their internal bec & still have any amps left.
An external bec has been the go to solution for this. More recent models of esc have better in built bec & depending on unit this may solve the problem.
Using a HV servo at 7.4v also takes some load off the bec circuits
Thank you very much for your input. I will be going to an ally cased servo for the ability to take a little bit more of a beating. I just ordered the castle waterproof BEC since I do have a lot of water around where I run. I swear trying to decide on the servo to get is almost painful lol.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

So I kind of went against what I said about forking up the $ to get the best servo I could. I just bought a Savox SA-1283SG. It's a good servo from what I'm hearing. I ended up getting a good deal on it at only $60.00. I also got the CC BEC 10A PEAK 25V MAX INPUT SBEC that came bundled with the CASTLE LINK V3 USB PROGRAMMING KIT for $35.00. I'm hoping this is a good combination.

Rock Racer Servo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
Rock Crawler vs Rock Racer? KROGOTH General Crawlers 5 09-11-2009 10:46 AM