RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Punch holes in tires? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/586105-punch-holes-tires.html)

RCDad57 06-19-2017 04:00 AM

Punch holes in tires?

Does anyone punch a couple of holes in each tire to drain water/dirt out better? I was changing my tires and foams to different wheels and was suprised at how much water was inside each tire after a couple of creek adventures. Tell me what you all think about punching holes. Thanks

CrawlinMike 06-19-2017 04:38 AM

Re: Punch holes in tires?

Many punch holes in the tread area. If I know they may get wet at all I found a very hot old copper hanger tip poked in between treads works good. As you drive normal the water etc works it's way right out. I do 2 holes a tire.

Rock Farmer 06-19-2017 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawlinMike (Post 5719940)
Many punch holes in the tread area. If I know they may get wet at all I found a very hot old copper hanger tip poked in between treads works good. As you drive normal the water etc works it's way right out. I do 2 holes a tire.

- I like to go swimming and play in the mud/muck, so I absolutely have both the tire and rim vented. Especially if you stuffed your tires w a quality foam and don't wanna break all 4 down just to them dry.
2 holes per rubber and 1 per rim. As the tire rolls it simply squishes the water out, or when done simply grab Tire and squeeze the water out- careful! :shock::lmao:
Many different way to skin a cat- hot solder iron (stinky!),exacto knife, coat hanger, awl, my go to method is a leather punch. I grabbed mine at Micheal crafts in leather areas for $10, it has multiple diff tips for varying size holes.:mrgreen:"thumbsup"

mikemcE 06-19-2017 06:08 AM

Same old story.
Vent tires and use closed cell foams. Closed cell doesn't hold water.
Leather punch is cheap and easy

Hang up and Drive

Dbx 06-19-2017 12:48 PM

I use a piece of 5mm steel tube (id 4mm). I ground the edges (like sharpening a pencil) until sharp and then use a hammer to punch the holes out on an old sledge hammer handle. I've got 4 per tyre.

JatoTheRipper 06-19-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbx (Post 5720093)
I use a piece of 5mm steel tube (id 4mm). I ground the edges (like sharpening a pencil) until sharp and then use a hammer to punch the holes out on an old sledge hammer handle. I've got 4 per tyre.

Damn those are big holes!

I don't punch holes in my tires. I run in lots of water.

Closed cell foams are way too firm for my light rigs. I get much better performance with open-cell or dual-stage foams in sealed tires (no holes punched) than I do with punched tires with closed-cell foams.

o0wiz0o 06-25-2017 02:31 PM

I run the other way completely! I run RC4WD rims that make the tires air tight. Handy in the wet UK. TSL XLs and stock foams. Still plenty of give in the tire and crawls well. ��

CrawlinMike 06-25-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0wiz0o (Post 5721757)
I run the other way completely! I run RC4WD rims that make the tires air tight. Handy in the wet UK. TSL XLs and stock foams. Still plenty of give in the tire and crawls well. í*½í¸

Until you get a pinhole in one and it lets air out but not really back in like I did on a set once. Literally gives you a flat tire lol. Or travel 700 miles a day like I often do. I put together a sealed set in Illinois only to have them super aired up in Utah. Then reseal and have 4 flats back in Ohio lol. I vent now. The tires.

o0wiz0o 06-26-2017 04:56 AM

Oh aye. I run that risk. I have (Touch wood) never punctured a Proline TSL yet and this isn't my first set. :)