Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cheap and easy carbon strut tower braces

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cheap and easy carbon strut tower braces

Go down to the LHS and pick up some carbon tube. The one I got was 5mm OD x 3.1 ID. The ID can be a little smaller to get more bite with the threads.

Cut them to 55mm for the rear and 56 mm for the front. Make sure you account for the thickness of your cutting tool. I used a dremel cutoff wheel and sanded it down to final on a belt sander. A thin kerf saw and a miter box would probably be better but I didn't have them were I was.

Find some longer screws for the upper shock mount and just place the rod in-between the towers and screw it into the rod. I used the coarse screws as they seemed to have better bite but a machine thread should work is you can find rod with a smaller ID.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cheap and easy carbon strut tower braces

Here's some pictures. You will need some 3mm screws that are about 35-36mm in length if'you're going through the shock mounts at least in my case. The 30mm ones I used in the rear just barley engage so I'll have to visit the LHS to hopefully find something that will give it more thread engagement.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Is there any noticeable difference with or without? I have some carbon arrows I was considering doing similar for the rear braces since the battery tray isn't there any more.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It definitely help with chassis flex in the rear. Whether or not that tranlstes to a better performing chassis in the real world, I couldnt say. But it does look cool.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I was bored and had some tube on hand. Stone dead simple and it was raining cats and dogs outside. I'm considering making a set to span the radio box spread as well. Just need to find some really, really long screws. KNK does have some 40mm ones but they're only in the mega bag and the price is a bit steep. I'm sure with some looking I can find what I need on the internet but I prefer buying from vendors that are RC specific even if the cost is a bit higher.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farabomb View Post
I was bored and had some tube on hand. Stone dead simple and it was raining cats and dogs outside. I'm considering making a set to span the radio box spread as well. Just need to find some really, really long screws. KNK does have some 40mm ones but they're only in the mega bag and the price is a bit steep. I'm sure with some looking I can find what I need on the internet but I prefer buying from vendors that are RC specific even if the cost is a bit higher.
I fail to see the point (outside of specific truck kits) of buying RC specific hardware. A screw is a screw. McMaster-Carr will give you 10x more for your money and you have an insane selection. I say save money where you can. Leaves more in the bank for real parts.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I used some cut up bits from the cage for mine after I did the "fast back" mod. The stock tie rod is another good piece to cut up for this kind of stuff after you upgrade to steel or titanium links. Good stuff!
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheap and easy carbon strut tower braces - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock tower to shock tower carbon fiber chassis brace Crazykev Axial Yeti 0 04-23-2016 12:48 AM
Xtreme Racing Carbon Fiber front shock tower Verboten77 Axial Yeti 2 03-10-2015 10:33 PM
Snipers Fab Shop carbon chassis braces sniper Chassis and Suspension 15 01-21-2014 05:25 PM
easy pay on tower? mudhunter Chit Chat 19 11-21-2009 05:12 PM