RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/587836-newbie-working-new-build-lots-questions.html)

mikemcE 08-16-2017 02:15 PM

Re: Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5738442)
What are your opinions on slippers? Would the stock slipper clutch be fine or would an after market work better for higher power motors like the Puller Pro 3500 I am using?

Super Shafty bombproof trans

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73206da777.jpg

Hang up and Drive

Sneetches 08-16-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5738442)
What are your opinions on slippers? Would the stock slipper clutch be fine or would an after market work better for higher power motors like the Puller Pro 3500 I am using?

I've been using a cranked-down stock slipper with my Puller Pro 3500kv for several months without issues.

azTony 08-16-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5738473)
Super Shafty bombproof trans

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73206da777.jpg

Hang up and Drive

Not a tranny just the slipper. You made the statement that there is no adjustment, either on or off. With that in mind I am wondering why there are slippers anyway if they do not work correctly. I have no clue when these will ever be made again, I cannot get any answers from the company.

mikemcE 08-16-2017 04:55 PM

Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions

I built my own. HR case and gears, incision outputs, fast Eddie bearings. The Robinson Racing /slash 32p slipper , parts need from Super Shafty , motor plate and topshaft ( now in stock). This slipper will adjust and slip, unlike the axial which is on or off . I can hear it when I have a tire under a rock and it binds up as it slips. This was a whole lot better than improving the stock plastic case. I didn't go to 6mm outputs, I should be fine.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9f659b8ad0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...85fc69f1a3.jpg
Watch Harley's video on building it.

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-16-2017 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well the shocks came in today and I stopped and picked up some oil today after work. Then I had to get a work area ready since I had been working at the kitchen counter area. I have a temporary cover on the top of the desk that will work until I get a new cover. I have plans for a reloading bench build that will double for my RC work.

azTony 08-16-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5738504)
I built my own. HR case and gears, incision outputs, fast Eddie bearings. The Robinson Racing /slash 32p slipper , parts need from Super Shafty , motor plate and topshaft ( now in stock). This slipper will adjust and slip, unlike the axial which is on or off . I can hear it when I have a tire under a rock and it binds up as it slips. This was a whole lot better than improving the stock plastic case. I didn't go to 6mm outputs, I should be fine.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9f659b8ad0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...85fc69f1a3.jpg
Watch Harley's video on building it.

Hang up and Drive

I found the Robbinson Racing Gen3 Slipper unit but it is 48P 80T. Where did you find the 32P which I assume would be around 56T?

azTony 08-16-2017 06:56 PM

Got it, Gen3 Slipper with the SuperShafty Beefy top shaft and ready to roll!

mikemcE 08-16-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5738535)
I found the Robbinson Racing Gen3 Slipper unit but it is 48P 80T. Where did you find the 32P which I assume would be around 56T?

For a slash, but works well!
When you install it follow Mikes directions online, you may need a couple of old bearings behind your slipper, you can see one in this picture, right against the motor plate NO slop at all !
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d990353552.jpg

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-16-2017 07:19 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the Robinson Racing .8 pinions that are intended to be used on a 5mm motor shaft will not work with the Puller Pro BL 540? Looking for a good harder gear(s) for the motor

mikemcE 08-17-2017 05:34 AM

Correct the shaft is 1/8 or 3mm

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-17-2017 07:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Received more parts today and went to work...

azTony 08-17-2017 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have never done this before but I seen there is a lot of built in negative camber, I assume this is normal for handling in the corners?

azTony 08-17-2017 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mikemcE, you have these SSD Diamonds so can you tell me what these 2 holes are for?

mikemcE 08-17-2017 08:27 PM

8mm FBAs !!!!
Knuckle with slugs !!!
Bulletproof !

Hang up and Drive

mikemcE 08-17-2017 08:28 PM

I believe those are for a panhard kit

Hang up and Drive

mikemcE 08-17-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5739038)
I have never done this before but I seen there is a lot of built in negative camber, I assume this is normal for handling in the corners?

That doesn't look correct. I remember one part backwards will cause that, send Erik a pm, he's good

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-18-2017 09:46 AM

It appears I put them on upside down... rookie!

I am also trying to get my wheels mounted on them but the bolt pattern is different. Not sure why Gear Head is so much different than the rest but I like the wheels. I need to get some drawings and find a machinist if Erik is not able to help me. Taking the steps forward to bullet proof the axle makes it a step backward to skimp at the wheels. I have no plans to change wheels, I like the quality of them

mikemcE 08-18-2017 10:17 AM

GearHead and SLS are a different pattern and thread IIRC. Don't Eric's hubs have 2 patterns /sizes ?

Hang up and Drive

Sneetches 08-18-2017 10:22 AM

Considering those hubs have 12 holes have you tried rotating the wheel to another set of screws to see if they line up? Otherwise they're most likely drilled for the Vanquish SLW hub pattern, which isn't the same as Gearhead's pattern.

azTony 08-18-2017 10:24 AM

Yes he has two different patterns but Ger Heads are just a little larger pattern than his. It would not take much to increase the diameter of the hub and drill the New pattern holes... except money and time

NWHavok 08-18-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5739274)
It appears I put them on upside down... rookie!

I am also trying to get my wheels mounted on them but the bolt pattern is different. Not sure why Gear Head is so much different than the rest but I like the wheels. I need to get some drawings and find a machinist if Erik is not able to help me. Taking the steps forward to bullet proof the axle makes it a step backward to skimp at the wheels. I have no plans to change wheels, I like the quality of them

Having those knuckles as well, your top wing bolts need to be in the set of holes closest to the Chub and the lower wing in the set of holes closest to the wheel. That gives you the offset to connect to your Chubs properly.
Cheers

azTony 08-18-2017 12:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I set it up for non 8 degree when it is supposed to be 8 degree. Where do you find this type of information? Anyway it is corrected and the camber looks much better. The freaking drive train is tight. If I had wheels on here it would not roll without pushing. It is definitely German engineering "Good-n-Tight"! :lmao:

NWHavok 08-18-2017 12:51 PM

Any information about Dlux parts I've received from Erik, he is on FB almost all morning answering questions and stuff. Down right best customer service I've ever encountered. And yes, good 'n tight is a great way to describe this drivetrain. You'll love it for a long time to come.
Also just my opinion, you should flip your shock mounts on your axles to lower the stance (center of gravity) just a little bit. You'll be happier with that in the long run. I've ran both and noticed a difference with them flipped.

azTony 08-18-2017 01:24 PM

Getting pretty upset about now... try and pick what in my opinion is the best made wheels for RC and now I cannot even use them. :sad:

Time to go punish a little white ball with 500 dimples!!!

mikemcE 08-18-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5739340)
Well I set it up for non 8 degree when it is supposed to be 8 degree. Where do you find this type of information? Anyway it is corrected and the camber looks much better. The freaking drive train is tight. If I had wheels on here it would not roll without pushing. It is definitely German engineering "Good-n-Tight"! :lmao:

Yup, it should be so tight it doesn't droop when holding it out straight.
He showed the difference in a video between the sloppy axials and his 8mm
https://youtu.be/JuewCC-2xvw

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-18-2017 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am talking once assembled It does not want to roll, you have to force it to roll

The tracking info shows my frame pieces I am waiting on will be here tomorrow so I am preparing. A little SRV to get me out of my sh*tty mood...

azTony 08-18-2017 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting ready for frame pieces tomorrow and tranny tomorrow

azTony 08-19-2017 07:00 AM

I need to find some place that sells some aluminum so I can make some spacers. The shocks need spacers to mount to the frame for one and there are more places that I will need spacers and then longer pieces for frame support in the front shock area. Where do others get your materials for this kind of stuff?

bilinvic 08-19-2017 09:22 AM

Web Store

http://www.teamknkhardware.com/webst...ariety%202.jpg

mikemcE 08-19-2017 10:41 AM

KNK works well, I also use SS tubing from ace (K&S)

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-19-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5739610)
KNK works well, I also use SS tubing from ace (K&S)

Hang up and Drive

Ace? You talking about Ace Hardware?

azTony 08-19-2017 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I can start...

What do you guys use to cut the frame?

mikemcE 08-19-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5739644)
Ace? You talking about Ace Hardware?

The place!
Most hobby shops and hardware stores sell K&S in a rack, brass and aluminum usually, my Ace also has SS tubing

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-19-2017 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I do not have arms yet so things are just kinda sitting in place...

mikemcE 08-19-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5739656)
The place!
Most hobby shops and hardware stores sell K&S in a rack, brass and aluminum usually, my Ace also has SS tubing

Hang up and Drive

I needed to space the top bar to clear the light bar, I moved it forward to keep from cutting the grill out. I cut 2 ea 5/16 spacers from 1/4" SS tube, that I got at Acehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2d04f57021.jpg

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-19-2017 07:08 PM

My Ace Hardware is lame... They had very little of anything. I got some .25" aluminum bar that was solid. I could not find any tube

Farabomb 08-21-2017 12:59 PM

I got my SS tube from amazon. Cheap enough and I didn't have to search the local lowes to find they don't have it.

azTony 08-21-2017 06:45 PM

Are the threads M3 x 0.05? Sorry, I feel like a 2 year old asking so many questions...

azTony 08-21-2017 07:31 PM

Gotta be, that is the only thread I find for M3, now I have to find good tools. I am sure junk will break easy so I will steer clear of Harbor Freight

altd896 08-21-2017 11:40 PM

Yep, standard M3x0.5mm

As an aside, pretty sure your C-hub screws are upside down, I'm sure on the ones I've got the pocket on the underside is just larger to take the hex of the nut.

Pivot balls are a great spacer also.