RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/587836-newbie-working-new-build-lots-questions.html)

mikemcE 09-05-2017 05:12 PM

Re: Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions

I think the lower front arms are 90* out

Hang up and Drive

mikemcE 09-05-2017 05:17 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c88d74af23.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...50e2f134c3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8fd3ccd685.jpg
These should help, your fronts look wonky

Hang up and Drive

azTony 09-05-2017 05:29 PM

The bends are different on mine

azTony 09-05-2017 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I am going to go this route and see how it works out. I am slightly higher than my other wraith and fully loaded and perhaps 20 oil and I can get her dialed in. I need to fab up a different bracket for the rear but this is what I think it will end up like

azTony 09-05-2017 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Twisty shot

MRCrackhead 09-05-2017 09:41 PM

I'm not sure how different oil will give you a different ride height.
The coil springs hold the weight of the vehicle.
Oil only changes the dampening rate during cycling.
If it's too tall, internally limit the shocks a little bit.
Looks like you've got way more articulation than you'd realistically need.

I'm certainly no expert; but something still doesn't look right with those links.
Just not sure what, exactly.

azTony 09-06-2017 05:32 AM

Well I am no expert so her, first time I have done this and tri d this site for some help and guidance. Apparently I am not familiar with what the oil in the shock does. I was thinking about that last night while laying in bed, I have the spring kit for those shocks so I need to do some swapping around. The kit did not tell which shock color is what so I guess I can find what I am looking for online. This is a process for sure. I have not even started on the wiring or interior, much more to do

mikemcE 09-06-2017 08:13 AM

Running proline springs, you have two springs , the upper is critical, you don't want it compressed at rest. I went to the blue(softest) the springs will change ride height, the oil stops bouncing by slowing the spring down

Hang up and Drive

azTony 09-06-2017 07:21 PM

:oops: Man... I feel like a dumb ass... changed the springs and she sits like she should. "thumbsup"

I have more parts coming in tomorrow that will complete everything (except interior, that is way down the road) so I will be busy this weekend.

I am new so the wiring is going to be fun... trying to figure out the wiring scheme so more searching in my future. I have a 4 channel remote on the way so I want to control the lights with a channel and the other for the gear selection...

azTony 09-07-2017 05:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I got another order in the mail today so I have the shock mounts in and all 8 points tight, that is a first. I just got the light bar half ass mounted to see where I am putting it. I have the height down to 9.5" as she sits now. Articulation is doing well but I need to clean the grease off my spur and pinion before I mount it and the driveshafts. I need to work out the upper and lower arms still, something is not right. The blue cup is 6.5" tall

MRCrackhead 09-07-2017 06:38 PM

I hope the trailing arm guys can help you, cuz I don't know squat, but....
The rear shocks just look too close together, to me.
Wouldn't it be advantageous to have them wider at the bottom vs the top?
Example: standing with your feet close together vs far apart.
Far apart is more stable, right?
The way it sits now, I'm thinking the rig will articulate very rapidly, kinda "twitchy" for lack of a better word.

azTony 09-07-2017 07:08 PM

Only time will tell. I have a feeling I will be adjusting shock springs for a while until I get it to my liking. I was inspired by "bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler", he has a very similar set up in the rear.

azTony 09-10-2017 10:07 AM

I am working on mounting the tranny and motor but I think I have too much play in the input shaft. Everything is brand new and it is a SSD 2 speed tranny with the beefy top shaft. I used the stock bearings which I thought it what I should have. Are there special bearings for that top shaft inside the tranny and on the mounting plate? I used bearings that came with my Eddies bearing kit

altd896 09-11-2017 11:51 PM

Rig looks tall cos you tummy tucked, doing that will always suck the belly up & make it look taller not to mention it's also changed you link geometry.
It's also raised your CoG by lifting the trans.
Only way it's not going to look mega lifted is lower those shock collars so it sits about 80% sagged on the springs.
Whole truck will sit lower & have lower CoG. Will still have big axle drop for negotiating holes just not a lot of up travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRCrackhead (Post 5746486)
I hope the trailing arm guys can help you, cuz I don't know squat, but....
The rear shocks just look too close together, to me.
Wouldn't it be advantageous to have them wider at the bottom vs the top?
Example: standing with your feet close together vs far apart.
Far apart is more stable, right?
The way it sits now, I'm thinking the rig will articulate very rapidly, kinda "twitchy" for lack of a better word.

Doesn't quite work like that, angling a coil over shock effectively softens the spring rate as not all of the compression force is applied in a linear manner to the spring.
The trailing arm set ups usually appear wider as the mounts on the chassis tend to be virtually the same width as on the axle so the arms have very little triangulation.
My understanding is this is done primarily on go fast U4/Trophy truck rigs to help stabilise chassis roll, they aren't looking for as much axle articulation as crawlers.

MRCrackhead 09-12-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altd896 (Post 5747616)
Rig looks tall cos you tummy tucked, doing that will always suck the belly up & make it look taller not to mention it's also changed you link geometry.
It's also raised your CoG by lifting the trans.

None of this is accurate.
The skid, relative to the axle center line doesn't change at all with a tummy tuck.
The cage gets lowered, the skid doesn't raise.
The shocks become too tall because the cage is lower, relative to axle center.
My skid was 2.75" before the tuck....2.75" after the tuck.
How does lowering the cage raise COG?

The geometry doesn't change like you're saying. Your not moving any of the link mount points.
Yes geometry is different; but it's different with a battery in the rig and without....... different with tall shocks vs short..... different at 8lbs vs 9lbs.
It's not fundamentally different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altd896 (Post 5747616)
Doesn't quite work like that, angling a coil over shock effectively softens the spring rate as not all of the compression force is applied in a linear manner to the spring.
The trailing arm set ups usually appear wider as the mounts on the chassis tend to be virtually the same width as on the axle so the arms have very little triangulation.
My understanding is this is done primarily on go fast U4/Trophy truck rigs to help stabilise chassis roll, they aren't looking for as much axle articulation as crawlers.

The linear force vs spring rate is true, but that's not what I meant.
Wider shocks will be more stable, all other factors being the same.
His setup is not wider than stock.
The control arms taper from the axle to the skid. Since the shocks are mounted part of the distance between the axle and skid, they are not as wide as being mounted at the axle end.

altd896 09-12-2017 10:22 AM

Actually I'll stand by that being completely accurate thanks anyway, the tummy tuck only lowers the chassis while it's sitting on the skid on the work bench
The static length of the shock sets the height of the chassis relative to the axle, the depth of the chassis from the shock mount down to the skid determines the skid height.
Moving the skid up in the chassis (which is what a tummy tuck does) has to increase the skid height and hence the CoG because the heavy trans is on the skid.

The only way the tummy tuck can't raise the skid height is if you move the shock mounting points up on the chassis up by the same amount the tuck takes the skid up or to use a softer spring so the static length of the shock is shorter, to effectively move the chassis down relative to the axle.

The mounts on this while higher than stock do not appear to be high enough compensate for the tuck hence it appears a bit belly high.

My preference is always the softer spring as moving the shock mount up the limits the axle up travel by it hitting the chassis sooner.

MRCrackhead 09-12-2017 03:42 PM

First off, azTony I apologize for fake fighting here on your thread. It's silly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altd896 (Post 5747709)
Actually I'll stand by that being completely accurate thanks anyway, the tummy tuck only lowers the chassis while it's sitting on the skid on the work bench
The static length of the shock sets the height of the chassis relative to the axle, the depth of the chassis from the shock mount down to the skid determines the skid height.
Moving the skid up in the chassis (which is what a tummy tuck does) has to increase the skid height and hence the CoG because the heavy trans is on the skid.
The only way the tummy tuck can't raise the skid height is if you move the shock mounting points up on the chassis up by the same amount the tuck takes the skid up or to use a softer spring so the static length of the shock is shorter, to effectively move the chassis down relative to the axle.

Agree with each point, individually.
Not trying to fight here, just don't feel a "tummy tuck" is one act.
It's a multitude of adjustments to LOWER the vehicles COG.
Just like a lift kit on a 1:1 rig is not for increasing ground clearance (in almost every case).
It's purpose is to fit bigger tires, which actually increase ground clearance.
They go hand in hand. One without the other is not logical.
That's all I'm trying to say here. Sorry if you were offended.

Quote:

The mounts on this while higher than stock do not appear to be high enough compensate for the tuck hence it appears a bit belly high.

azTony, are you running 100mm or 110mm shocks?
That would also be a factor to increased height over stock.

Quote:

My preference is always the softer spring as moving the shock mount up the limits the axle up travel by it hitting the chassis sooner.

You're right about the up travel and chassis interference.
My servo was hitting the chassis when I first lowered mine. Easy fix, though.
On Tony's rig, if all other things are equal, his longer shocks and "lowering" mounts may cancel each other out.
Ultimately it isn't a "lowering kit", instead it's an "extended travel" kit....lol

84yoda 09-13-2017 07:19 PM

Your front lower links are on wrong, they need to be turned 45 degrees, look at mikes pictures. The mix of front lower links and tummy tuck are making the stance super tall. Shocks seem to long too, maybe look into shorter shocks. The rear shocks/TA look goofy, seem a bit to narrow. A bomber skid might help by getting the TA more parallel. And a lot of flex only hurts your performance.

And about the tummy tuck, you are raising the skid. The cage doesn't move since you aren't moving the shocks.

azTony 09-20-2017 06:49 PM

I spent a lot of money and a lot of time on this and every corner I turn I end up running into problems. I don't have time for this so there will be some sales soon.

Just surprised at some of the people I have felt with. I am getting to old for this shit

mikemcE 09-20-2017 08:22 PM

Newbie Working on a New Build - LOTS of questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by azTony (Post 5750347)
I spent a lot of money and a lot of time on this and every corner I turn I end up running into problems. I don't have time for this so there will be some sales soon.

Just surprised at some of the people I have felt with. I am getting to old for this shit

Whoa Tony...... you're almost there .
Many times we fight combinations but in the end it will be worth it. Get your WB and set the axles and pan.

Slow down, get the cage set correctly. I also think your links need a turn . Then it's shocks and angles.

Far as people, read advice, what you want ? Or don't like and ignore. You get to know who's real, who's a Computer warrior ask for and study pictures good source of the truth .

Hang up and Drive