Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Transmission gear / pinion gear question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Transmission gear / pinion gear question

Good day all! RC Command just unveiled our Low Life Buggy build in San Antonio at RC Headquarters. We had a great time. I definitely will be using them for all of my RC needs when we move the shop to San Antonio in a few months.

I'm going to commit a cardinal forum sin right now, but I am on the road and don't have time to search. I completely erased every tooth off the Axial pinion gear on the maiden run with our new Buggy. If you've seen the Low Life Buggy thread, or the Spartan Buggy thread, you know we run Hot Racing hardened steel gears in our transmissions. It is my guess that the aluminum Axial pinion gear couldn't hold up to the steel gear under brushless power?
Is the fix going to be a hardened steel pinion gear, or am I going to have the same problem because I am obviously doing something wrong? Like my tension was too tight on the pinion and spur gear? Not enough tension? The noise it made when I just spun it manually was loud. I just figured it was aluminum on metal gears and accepted it. Also, it's important to note that I had no grease on them, but I wasn't planning on running it more than just around RCHQ.
You all are my life line. I'm reaching out. Please give feed back. It'll all be appreciated! Thanks y'all.

RCCLTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Transmission gear / pinion gear question

If the spur is steel, best bet is to use Robinson Racing Extra Hard High Carbon Steel Motor Pinions -- the 86xx series... They are only available in 5mm bore, so a reducer is needed if the motor shaft is 1/8th.

"TECH NOTE: RRP#1200 5 m/m to 1/8 inch Reducer Sleeve required for 1/8 inch shaft motors."

Alternatively, you can use the RRP Super Hard "Absolute" Steel Motor Pinions that are available in 1/8" bore, they will wear a little more quickly. 17xx series.

Those are all 32p pinions listed here:

Robinson Racing Products - THE LEADER IN RC GEARS !!!!

Last edited by durok; 09-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

See I knew I was asking the right people. That's what I'm talking about! Thank you!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If the spur is steel, best bet is to use Robinson Racing Extra Hard High Carbon Steel Motor Pinions -- the 86xx series... They are only available in 5mm bore, so a reducer is needed if the motor shaft is 1/8th.

"TECH NOTE: RRP#1200 5 m/m to 1/8 inch Reducer Sleeve required for 1/8 inch shaft motors."

Alternatively, you can use the RRP Super Hard "Absolute" Steel Motor Pinions that are available in 1/8" bore, they will wear a little more quickly. 17xx series.

Those are all 32p pinions listed here:

Robinson Racing Products - THE LEADER IN RC GEARS !!!!

Great answer and I was actually looking to go Robinson Racing anyway because I hear really good things.
Am I right that metal on metal gears are going to be noisy? The folks at RC Headquarters looked at me funny when I fired this thing up.
Does the pinion and spur need to be lubricated?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No lube needed. The hardened gears have a unique whine when meshed correctly. I forget what plastic/aluminum sound like.
I run a bombproof type trans with the metal gears and the RR clutch and pinion. Coupled with the SS motor plate, I'm not going to ever switch.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
No lube needed. The hardened gears have a unique whine when meshed correctly. I forget what plastic/aluminum sound like.
I run a bombproof type trans with the metal gears and the RR clutch and pinion. Coupled with the SS motor plate, I'm not going to ever switch.

Hang up and Drive

Ok, the noise piece makes me feel better.

We are slowly heading that way. I have watched Harley's video on SSD's trans (you all can probably tell we're SSD fans). But he also said good things about SS's as well.

Transmission gear / pinion gear question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) Sloalty Redcat Crawlers 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM
Pinion gear and ring gear mesh question flyboy320 Axial Wraith 18 01-09-2016 02:41 PM
LNC Transmission an Pinion Gear Question! murlin12 Team Losi Comp Crawler 37 03-31-2014 06:53 AM
Disruptor Transmission Pinion Gear??? heinie_21 General Crawlers 0 09-03-2012 11:55 PM