Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First touches on my free wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default First touches on my free wraith

So I decided to steal my speed control from my toyzuki project. The wraith is now brushless. I was able to repair the cut beads on my tsl tires and get them mounted up on my ssd assassin wheels with the rc4wd pro line compatible rings. Pics of initial electrical work. Man these wraith have no good placement for electronics.

Oh, and I'm going 4s with the 2850kv castle motor....
When I get the funds for a crimping tool, I will be extending the servo wires to place the rx behind the ESC on my tray. This should make most wires nearly invisible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: First touches on my free wraith

A crimping tool was truly one of the best purchases for my addiction. Not only is it super practical and cheap to make your own harnesses, but in my experience (when possible) crimping connectors will far out last a solder joint. And the work is sorta meditative too.

I'm with ya dude. Wraith is dog poo for electronics placement. For me it's zip ties and the battery tray.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

In my first picture, do my shocks not look laid down too much? Are the links installed wrong maybe? I inherited this thing and I have nothing to compare it to.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Is this free as in, "Hmm I spent $600 on this thing ages ago and haven't used it" or someone literally gave it to you for free? I'm a big fan of the former, I have a ton of "free" stuff just laying aroun .

The shocks are laying down in the front quite a bit and it looks like the rear is sitting higher than the front as a result. I'm assuming that's the Vanquish link kit and it looks fine. For electronics I don't think I could go without the Crawlspace "Da box" and just stuff everything I want up front.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Is this free as in, "Hmm I spent $600 on this thing ages ago and haven't used it" or someone literally gave it to you for free? I'm a big fan of the former, I have a ton of "free" stuff just laying aroun .

The shocks are laying down in the front quite a bit and it looks like the rear is sitting higher than the front as a result. I'm assuming that's the Vanquish link kit and it looks fine. For electronics I don't think I could go without the Crawlspace "Da box" and just stuff everything I want up front.
Even if I move the shocks forward, it doesn't help much. It's like the links are pushing the front axle too far forward. The servo doesn't go up into the hole in the frame. It hits on the sub bumper in front

Last edited by Motorider; 08-04-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's gonna help some. I used an HR Wraith link kit and it pushed my servo further forward compared to the stock plastic links. So I spaced the front bumper out a little with some parts tree bits and longer screws. You can also mount the servo further back for clearance, too.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
It's gonna help some. I used an HR Wraith link kit and it pushed my servo further forward compared to the stock plastic links. So I spaced the front bumper out a little with some parts tree bits and longer screws. You can also mount the servo further back for clearance, too.
It's not the actual bumper. It's the thin grill support thing it hits on. Even if I cut that part out, the steering link hits the frame where the bumper mounts to. It's sitting way too low. I did get my 103mm slash rear proline shocks.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What's funny is The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was, damn those shocks are layed down far. Then I went and took a picture of my rig and realized mine are too. Looks like you have them in the last hole. Mine are in the middle. Those are the axial option aluminum lower mounts on mine. I'm not sure they're mounted "right" on mine but I see yours seem to be flipped. Maybe that's pushing out the axle a bit too much.

If you look at my picture you can see my solution to the servo wacking the frame issue. We seem to be running the same Vanquish Ti links so it should be close to the same. I unscrewed the front bumper and used 4mm spacers from KNK to push it out far enough so it clears. I don't worry too much about the really thin crossbar as it tends to bend out of the way and doesn't seem to affect articulation much. You can also use spacers that come on the extra parts trees but since this was a free one, not sure if you have them.

Your servo leads must be really short. You can see my twisted leads coming from the hitech servo and it reaches all the way back to the stock battery location where I mounted my radio box. I have my mamba in a RPM mount screwed into the farthest back vertical hole in the frame. Works pretty good and there is easy acess to the switch from the rear fender well.

Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farabomb View Post
What's funny is The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was, damn those shocks are layed down far. Then I went and took a picture of my rig and realized mine are too. Looks like you have them in the last hole. Mine are in the middle. Those are the axial option aluminum lower mounts on mine. I'm not sure they're mounted "right" on mine but I see yours seem to be flipped. Maybe that's pushing out the axle a bit too much.

If you look at my picture you can see my solution to the servo wacking the frame issue. We seem to be running the same Vanquish Ti links so it should be close to the same. I unscrewed the front bumper and used 4mm spacers from KNK to push it out far enough so it clears. I don't worry too much about the really thin crossbar as it tends to bend out of the way and doesn't seem to affect articulation much. You can also use spacers that come on the extra parts trees but since this was a free one, not sure if you have them.

Your servo leads must be really short. You can see my twisted leads coming from the hitech servo and it reaches all the way back to the stock battery location where I mounted my radio box. I have my mamba in a RPM mount screwed into the farthest back vertical hole in the frame. Works pretty good and there is easy acess to the switch from the rear fender well.

Thanks for the tips and picture. My problem waa the 88mm shocks in the front. These 104mm slash rear shocks are much better. I'm going to rig a spring in front to pull down the front and lower ride height. I might leave the 88mm shocks in the rear or put limiting straps on the longer shocks.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

Free as in I bought a big lot of rc crawler stuff and traded and sold off everything to net me a wraith at no cost as well as about 200 cash.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
A crimping tool was truly one of the best purchases for my addiction. Not only is it super practical and cheap to make your own harnesses, but in my experience (when possible) crimping connectors will far out last a solder joint. And the work is sorta meditative too.

I'm with ya dude. Wraith is dog poo for electronics placement. For me it's zip ties and the battery tray.
Have a model number for the crimper? Also, where did you get the ends and crimps?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Thanks for the tips and picture. My problem waa the 88mm shocks in the front. These 104mm slash rear shocks are much better. I'm going to rig a spring in front to pull down the front and lower ride height. I might leave the 88mm shocks in the rear or put limiting straps on the longer shocks.

I went with long shocks and used a lowering kit all around so I wasn't in the clouds.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

So I have completed a few more upgrades. I installed the DMG stiffy kit I received in trade. Free also. I have installed OD UD gears I got in trade. It already had the incision lockers not pictured. I also installed titanium links and an aluminum body set I got in a purchase. I sold the other parts to break even. So far I am maintaining a zero cost on this rig.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Oh yea, i installed a real servo...the pro modeler 470. I just got it back from repair. We shall see how it goes.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #15

This is a cool build. I'm using the same motor, esc and servo in my Bomber, but on 3S in my case. How do you like the low speed resolution with that setup?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
This is a cool build. I'm using the same motor, esc and servo in my Bomber, but on 3S in my case. How do you like the low speed resolution with that setup?
I think it is good. I do like my puller pro better. I have a puller pro 3500 that is going in here soon. Also I am installing a dig unit. I will be making a custom harness and plugs. Here are a few shots of my new wheels and tires. These wheels take forever to locktite all of the hardware.

The red logos will go away. Time has been short. I have to make up the 110 I spent on the wheels plus 40 or so in other goodies to keep this wraith a zero budget toy.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #17
Yashua

I went with 130mm shocks on my Wraith with the Gear Head droop kit.
50 wt. oil with a 8 and a half pound rig seems t work very well.
And to solve my servo clearance issue I used the RC4WD 3 link CMS kit. It also works very well.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote

First touches on my free wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The free Wraith! pett359 Axial Wraith 12 02-06-2017 07:59 PM
added some custom touches to the honcho. warren Axial SCX-10 15 12-14-2012 06:39 AM
GC3 Finishing Touches hasbeen Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 12-14-2009 05:53 AM
Free Free Pro Line Ambush Body FREE GIVEAWAY! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 144 08-26-2007 09:54 PM