Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith monster truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith monster truck

My wife wants to make her wraith spawn into more of a monster truck. I have a 20turn brushed motor in it with a traxxas xl5 esc. Would clodbuster tires fit or be to big or hpi mudgrabbers from a wheely king.smaller but still monster truck style tread. . She wants wider for more stability . She wants to keep the body cage etc just bigger/wider tires and I brought up about making it open differential in the front for steering. Would you do open differential in the rear also. Thanks for any info. I don't want to tear up anything .
drkuhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith monster truck

Well it all depends your riding style, if you’re bashing type then yes for the rear open diff. ( at lest it is my style ) cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Our kids have stampedes so she is trying to be on part with stampedes for running around the yard. She needs more stability and speed.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Open diffs from the SMT will fit right in. I put one in the front of my Bomber. I’d suggest a Traxxas 550 12t for a little more power and torque.

Shouldn’t be a problem fitting the wider wheels/tires either. If they rub on the chassis you could get a set of those 15mm wideners.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I was woundering the same thing so i grabed my spawn and a set of clod tires and yes they do fit i would sugest a lift kit as the tires will rub a bit mostly in the front

And sway bars would help alot witb the handling

Last edited by ferp420; 11-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the pics and advice. Final question though. Would you do the rear axle also or just the front. I have the xl5 esc and a traxxas 12t 550 ready for this project. Hoping to get the gears int the next week or so.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would think tires that big would.cause alot of issues a servo savor would be a good idea aluminum knuckles and c-hubs and rear lockouts and beef tubes so the axles hold up the stock locker will disintigrate so y9u will have to change the diff open diffs are less stress on everything but i dont know if there will be any performance increse over locked diffs i have 2 clods one locked one open and i dont see.any differance untill its crawl time so if your gona do any crawl8ng i say stay locked there are different diff oils and you can create a limited slip diff if you want i would think it would.hold up better than a locked diff and still perform well on ruffer terrain but is costly and tuning it takes time but for a basher it might be worth it i dont know
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I throw Some clod Tires on my wraith in the winter here and there locked front and rear. If, you will be running this setup on hard packed surfaces "I" recommend open diffs front and rear and LOW gearing. Clod tires are super fun, but they give no warning when they are gonna break something. I know from experience, If you know what I mean....
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have a Barbarian chassis with Wraith running gear. I'd get some clamping lockouts/c hubs and beef tubes as the stock ones won't last long. Really what will eat parts is if you go brushless and keep the diffs locked. You'll also want a servo saver, or you'll be going though rod ends on your steering links or straight up breaking servos.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith monster truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Wraith Monster Truck build Borgador17 Axial Wraith 18 07-18-2015 02:53 PM
Monster truck wraith? strap624 Axial Wraith 8 09-12-2011 01:24 PM