Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: More power needed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #1

Default More power needed!

Hi guys!!!

I’ve stock gears, and a Holmes 27t brushed and I need more power, more speed!! I will try with a 3s lipo but I guess it will not be enough...

I would like a brushless combo as much waterproof as it could be... and It should allows me to crawl a little... What are your suggestions?? Thank you so much!
SpaniardCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: More power needed!

I'd go with 3s and a 550 can fiirst... wp and sensored is mighty expensive stuff.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The Hobbywing wp-860 $27 ESC will let you run up to 4s lipo, but make sure your motor can handle the voltage first:

http://www.hobbywing.com/mobile/good...er_attr=5426.0
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
I'd go with 3s and a 550 can fiirst... wp and sensored is mighty expensive stuff.
Yeag, you're right... maybe I should try that. What motor do you suggest?? I guess 550 is bigger than stock motors for Wraith, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
The Hobbywing wp-860 $27 ESC will let you run up to 4s lipo, but make sure your motor can handle the voltage first:

QuicRun WP 860 Dual Brushed_Car System_HOBBYWING | Welcome to Brushless System Trends -
Aha, ok, it's another way!! I will look into it!! I've a Torquemaster... I will look if it can do it!! Thank you guys!!

Last edited by SpaniardCrawler; 12-11-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

Castle Mamba X and Tekin ROC412 3100kv or Holmes Puller Pro 3500kv.

You won't find a better brushless combo IMHO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Traxxas 21t Titan 550, or Holmes 550; both run about $20.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Traxxas 21t Titan 550, or Holmes 550; both run about $20.
Thanks again mate!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Nothing against the Titan or HH motors, just throwing more options out there... Electrifly S600 is a 19t 550 can and the T600 is a 22t 550, either costs ~$13. I've got an S600 on the way for my own Wraith that will be run on 3s, I had previously been running 4s on a 3400kv sensored brushless and decided to go back to brushed after I had an ESC failure. It was pretty fun in a straight line with 4 paddles on it, but was honestly too fast for the way the car handled being locked at both ends. It wasn't getting used as often as I'd hoped, so I think it will actually be more enjoyable and get used more often on a sensible brushed setup. I did try my wp860 and 4s with a well used Titan 12t and it died very quickly. I think that the 19t (or 21t-22t) 550 brushed on 3s should fulfill any need for speed without outrunning what the Wraith's chassis is comfortable with.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

^ good to know, 550 brushed cans aren't that easy to find!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

MambaX and the 2280kv Castle Slate motor on 3s works great in mine so far. Plenty of power, long run times and not too bad price wise.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #11

Hi guys!! Problem with Mamba is that if I buy to US I need to pay around 70 $ for ESC and motor in the customs...

Do you know any cheap place to buy it in Europe or Canada?? Thank you!
Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Nothing against the Titan or HH motors, just throwing more options out there... Electrifly S600 is a 19t 550 can and the T600 is a 22t 550, either costs ~$13.
This is news to me, but great info. Thanks!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Nothing against the Titan or HH motors, just throwing more options out there... Electrifly S600 is a 19t 550 can and the T600 is a 22t 550, either costs ~$13. I've got an S600 on the way for my own Wraith that will be run on 3s, I had previously been running 4s on a 3400kv sensored brushless and decided to go back to brushed after I had an ESC failure. It was pretty fun in a straight line with 4 paddles on it, but was honestly too fast for the way the car handled being locked at both ends. It wasn't getting used as often as I'd hoped, so I think it will actually be more enjoyable and get used more often on a sensible brushed setup. I did try my wp860 and 4s with a well used Titan 12t and it died very quickly. I think that the 19t (or 21t-22t) 550 brushed on 3s should fulfill any need for speed without outrunning what the Wraith's chassis is comfortable with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is news to me, but great info. Thanks!
Finally I guess I will try this configuration... S600 @ 3S
Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Just be aware that you will have to solder on your own leads, and the motor's shaft will need a flat spot ground into it for your pinion's set screw on the S600. If that's not up your alley, Redcat has a 19t 550 that is ready to go for a couple bucks more BS701-007. The Redcat motor is the only one of the bunch that DOES NOT have a "flux ring" on the outside of the can. I'm not sure what kind of performance differences to expect from different types of magnets, but supposedly the HH and Electrifly motors use better magnets than the Traxxas and Redcat motors, and all but the HH motors use bushings for the shaft to ride on, where the HH uses a bearing at one end. I went with the S600 not just due to cost, but also because their performance specs were readily available.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Just be aware that you will have to solder on your own leads, and the motor's shaft will need a flat spot ground into it for your pinion's set screw on the S600. If that's not up your alley, Redcat has a 19t 550 that is ready to go for a couple bucks more BS701-007. The Redcat motor is the only one of the bunch that DOES NOT have a "flux ring" on the outside of the can. I'm not sure what kind of performance differences to expect from different types of magnets, but supposedly the HH and Electrifly motors use better magnets than the Traxxas and Redcat motors, and all but the HH motors use bushings for the shaft to ride on, where the HH uses a bearing at one end. I went with the S600 not just due to cost, but also because their performance specs were readily available.
Good to know! I found the RedCat with the same price than S600.

Can you show us how you did that "flat spot"?? Any pics or something?? Thank you so so so much!!!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Sorry, no pictures. It will be obvious what needs to be done when you see the S600 motor shaft side by side with your existing motor. You just need to use a grinder/dremel/file/etc to make the shaft go from looking like "o" to looking like "D" when viewed straight on. All you're doing is giving the pinion's set screw a flat spot to sit on. If you use power tools to do this, take your time so as not to get the motor too hot. It's also worth wrapping the motor in masking tape or a rag before you start, so the metal shavings don't go into the motor.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Sorry, no pictures. It will be obvious what needs to be done when you see the S600 motor shaft side by side with your existing motor. You just need to use a grinder/dremel/file/etc to make the shaft go from looking like "o" to looking like "D" when viewed straight on. All you're doing is giving the pinion's set screw a flat spot to sit on. If you use power tools to do this, take your time so as not to get the motor too hot. It's also worth wrapping the motor in masking tape or a rag before you start, so the metal shavings don't go into the motor.

Understood!! Thank you so much!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #18

One more question... i will run 3s lipos... I’ve the Spawn rtr... Do I need an external BEC??? Why?? I just have read about Becs and I absolutely don’t know anything about it!!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardCrawler View Post
One more question... i will run 3s lipos... I’ve the Spawn rtr... Do I need an external BEC??? Why?? I just have read about Becs and I absolutely don’t know anything about it!!

With the stock electronics you probably don't, but when you get into high voltage, high torque servos that can run on 7.4v you'll need one. It's like having a dedicated power supply for the servo, because while the ESC has its own built-in BEC the strain that a high torque servo can put on them will end up killing the ESC if the built-in BEC can't keep up. So typically when you need an external BEC people are referring to these (The cheap ones typically only go up to 6V though): https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati.../dp/B000MXAR12 https://www.amazon.com/Servo-Helicop...W7F8YEMK09GMTW

Now that being said, people are running the Hobbywing WP1080 brushed ESC using the built in BEC and are having good results, if you want both a good replacement ESC and integrated BEC.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If your going to run a 550 can, you will need to trim some of the rear upper link mount for it to fit. Just fyi.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

More power needed! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Lipo Works On Flight Power/Thunder Power Balance plate?? fa1rch1ld Electronics 0 01-18-2010 11:46 PM
Determining needed power supply amps/wattage Egnix Electronics 3 01-08-2009 08:57 AM