Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith is going on a DIET!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Wraith is going on a DIET!

I had my Wraith built up with all sorts of scaler items, aluminum body panels, LED light bar up front, rear light bar, fuel cell, hi-lift jack, fire extinguishers, etc. Since I'm building a true 1.9 scale Truggy, I figured I'd get the Wraith back to fighting weight and bag a lot of the non-essentials. So far, I snubbed the front nose, did a type of FastBack mod, blacked the interior floor pan and patched up all the old LED and accessory lighting holes in it with aluminum, I also fabbed up an aluminum dash since the old lexan one was mangled.

Waiting on my BGR Fab front and rear shock towers. In the meantime, I'm re-positioning my electronics. Receiver used to live up front, and ESC road shotgun with passenger seat delete. Using an RC4WD fuel cell to position the receiver out back, moving the ESC up front where the receiver used to be. My PullerPro 3500kv and BLE are due here Wednesday. Can't wait to see the difference with the increased brushless power and weight loss. (Was running a 13T CrawlMaster and BR-XL.)

I'm also going back to a lexan body versus all the aluminum panels. Have an un-painted ProLine Wrangler Rubicon body laying around that should do nicely.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

Default Re: Wraith is going on a DIET!

That dash looks so clean!
tokyo banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice! I always seem to build heavy rigs but I've been looking at a few areas for weight savings on my Wraith and I happened to pull one of the seats out and man are they heavy, they seem to be solid plastic and pretty thick. Anyway I picked up a set of the Gmade Gom seats which are definitely lighter and a similar size.

I may just get started on that tonight and I can post up a pic and some weights of each if you'd like.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo banana View Post
That dash looks so clean!
Thanks man! I'm thinking about doing a whole floor pan next.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice! I always seem to build heavy rigs but I've been looking at a few areas for weight savings on my Wraith and I happened to pull one of the seats out and man are they heavy, they seem to be solid plastic and pretty thick. Anyway I picked up a set of the Gmade Gom seats which are definitely lighter and a similar size.

I may just get started on that tonight and I can post up a pic and some weights of each if you'd like.
The Axial seats are heavy! I was thinking that when I put the passenger seat back in. I would definitely be interested in what the weight difference is. Where did you score the GOM seats?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
The Axial seats are heavy! I was thinking that when I put the passenger seat back in. I would definitely be interested in what the weight difference is. Where did you score the GOM seats?

Okay I finally weighed the Gom seats and they aren't the huge weight savings I had hoped for.
The stock Axial seat is 1.9 oz, 3.8 oz for the set
The Gmade Gom seat is 1.4 oz, and 2.8 oz for both

So 1 oz of weight savings, oh well at least it was something

side by side, the Gom seats are 3/8" taller and 11/16" wider at the bolster

Also the side bolster sticks out farther, just a bit past the cage. The interior panel could likely be trimmed to allow the seat to move inwards. Maybe with some heat these can be bent inwards as well.

RPP has the seats for sale though I imagine there are better options out there, maybe a 3D printed one since it should have a honeycomb inner structure.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-13-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I like the look of the GOM seats! Are you going to go ahead and use them then? I agree - I think you could probably use some heat to mold them to fit. That way you're not hacking on them. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I like the look of the GOM seats! Are you going to go ahead and use them then? I agree - I think you could probably use some heat to mold them to fit. That way you're not hacking on them. Thanks for the info!
Yeah I will be using them after all. I'm not sure I'll be putting my driver back though, Homer might just be too fat.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah I will be using them after all. I'm not sure I'll be putting my driver back though, Homer might just be too fat.
DOH! LMAO!

I've been looking at different driver options. I did order a Spawn lexan Interior for weight savings, but it's back ordered in to January. I'm still going to go ahead with this interior since I have another Wraith chassis that I can build up over time for my daughter. I found these drivers on EBAY and they look legit, if not a bit pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-scale-....c100290.m3507

If you scroll through the pics, he's even got one mounted in a Wraith and the scale looks great!

Last edited by mewalsh100; 12-15-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I’m lovin the dash also. How is it mounted? I may have to bend one up!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I’m lovin the dash also. How is it mounted? I may have to bend one up!

Hang up and Drive
Hey Mike - I mounted it the same way as the stock lexan unit. Just measured up and marked out the two holes that mount it to the Trans tunnel. Even used the same hardware. I laid all the patterning out on the aluminum stock with a Sharpie first. Then cut to the outer perimeters, did my bends and cleaned up the edges.

Looking at doing a whole floor pan next. Due to the complexity of the bends, I think it will need to be in 3 pieces, Driver side, Passenger side and Trans tunnel. Then I'll either use pop rivets, some small stainless hardware, or ideally, spot weld it.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

So I just ordered one of the drivers figures from the Ebay link above. You can specify driver (they're NASCAR), seat color (Black or Gray) and Harness color. Pretty cool.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Got the Proline dash decals stuck on the aluminum dash. Body is taped up and being painted tonight!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Not exactly the color I was going for, but I guess it'll do. I bought a Fluorescent Powder blue, not realizing it had to be backed with a solid of the same color. I ended up backing it with a darker can of blue I had laying around. at $10 a tiny can, you'd think there was actual gold in the paint!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Yeah, fluorescent colors seem to turn out best when backed with plain ol' white. I hate finding that stuff out the hard way!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Yeah, fluorescent colors seem to turn out best when backed with plain ol' white. I hate finding that stuff out the hard way!
Yeah. I should've known better. I did a FLO green body a few years back. I ended up going back to buy the solid green to back it. And then white behind that. Oh well, it turned out ok and it's just going to get thrashed up any way!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

When are your BGR shock towers arriving? I ordered the rear from amain today, but front is out of stock. I should have the rear here tomorrow. But the reason I ask is I've seen a few people mention about the front not having the 2 side braces, and being wobbly so I was going to see if you noticed that yet.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
When are your BGR shock towers arriving? I ordered the rear from amain today, but front is out of stock. I should have the rear here tomorrow. But the reason I ask is I've seen a few people mention about the front not having the 2 side braces, and being wobbly so I was going to see if you noticed that yet.
I ordered them direct from BGR. They're supposed to be showing up tomorrow. I haven't heard about that issue? I'll post when I get them installed with my impressions. Did you hear about that here on the forums?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Ya, I came across this thread yesterday.

Stiffening up front end after bgr tower install

Edit: When I get my front tower ordered, Im thinking about trying those 27mm standoffs from rc4wd or reuse some plastic from the cage. I can't imagine it being that bad, but definitely keep us posted.

Last edited by 84yoda; 12-21-2017 at 07:38 PM.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Ya, I came across this thread yesterday.

Stiffening up front end after bgr tower install

Edit: When I get my front tower ordered, Im thinking about trying those 27mm standoffs from rc4wd or reuse some plastic from the cage. I can't imagine it being that bad, but definitely keep us posted.
Will do. As soon as you mentioned the issue, I started thinking about the same types of solutions that were in that thread link. If it does seem to lack stiffness, I don't think it'll be too difficult to engineer a fix. I'll post up when I get them installed.

Wraith is going on a DIET! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CR-01 needs a diet mulepic Tamiya CR-01 5 07-06-2009 08:47 AM
betty's on a diet colonelangus Chit Chat 8 01-28-2008 03:25 PM
do you think she needs to go on a diet Will Chit Chat 8 07-30-2005 04:04 PM