Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Stretched out my WB a bit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stretched out my WB a bit

Got out a bit more this afternoon at a local park down the street from me. It's got a real nice riverbed with lots of good rocks. It's usually nearly dry, but with the rains we've had, it was fast moving and a few feet deep in places. So, Instead of the rock beds, I hit some of the trail lines that I test on down there. This is a gnarly, off-camber up hill. The pictures really don't do the steepness and off-camber nature justice. She gassed it up this and wanted more. There are several others that are even steeper. They're difficult to even get footing to hike up. She ate them up! I am just loving the power on this thing along with all the weight I pared off her!
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Got out for a nice little lunch time crawl on my backyard course with this bad boy today. Always a GREAT de-stresser! This thing is just such a beast now with the 3500kv HH PullerPro. Almost like cheating. Almost.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Nice, I like the orange colour on your Wraith
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Definitely! I like the colour too!! Your Wraith is really turning out NICE! Really cool spot too!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Definitely! I like the colour too!! Your Wraith is really turning out NICE! Really cool spot too!
Thanks Carmine - Welcome back!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Mike! I'm still a little apprehensive.... wondering if I'm going to say the wrong thing. I did do an update in Paint and Body.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Finally made some time to cut out the poke-throughs for the BGR shock towers in my aluminum hood. I do like this RIG in the aluminum panels. She be lookin Agro!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Because who doesn't like a Racing Stripe!?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I love the roof scoop ya got there...

Stripe looks great with the black & silver color scheme!

A mean mutha, for sure.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Had to make a sales call on a customer about 20 mins up the road from me this morning. I knew I'd be going right by this park so I packed the Wraith along.

IDK why I don't get up here more often than I do. It's a crawling paradise. The trail to get up to this point of the ledges is a blast and it just keeps going on from there.

Unfortunately, and uncharacteristically, I lost a nut on my drag link and only got about 20 mins of run time before that. I may head back up tonight with a couple packs!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Out ripp'n the Wraith in the backyard today after being out of town all week for work. It was fun, but I gotta say, not challenging. This thing just eats my little backyard stuff for lunch now. I've either got to: A.) Stick with driving Dirty Steve and the 1.9 Barronco around here, or B.) Get more and bigger rocks and get to work! I think I'm going to opt for B! I've just got to convince the wife that it's a "landscaping" project!

I am definitely liking the longer wheelbase at this point. I've now had a chance to run it in a number of different areas and scenarios and I haven't seen any drawbacks. In fact, I think it's helped me out on a couple steep, step-up type climbs. That and the Brushless power I added over the Winter have been a game changer.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

So, we used to dirt bike at this place. It's about 20 mins down the road from me and I've been wanting to check it out for crawling for a while. The problem is there's really no good place to park, and technically it's off limits. I ended up parking at the VFW that's across from it. It's about a 1/4" mile walk/hike through a field and then in to the area. (I need to find a nice pack for the rig for instances like this - any one have any suggestions?)

Anyway, it's a pretty cool area with a lot of rock out-croppings, trails, etc. Went through 2 5000mah 3S packs this morning and no mechanicals!

I'm still liking the lengthened wheelbase, and I think it definitely helped me again with some of the squared off step-ups here. As usual, the HH PullerPro just ate rocks with mad torque and wheel speed. Love it. Really wish I could convince some of my ridinng buddies to buy a rig and get out with me.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Shiz is gonna get serious! Taking the Wraith out on a little trail run today. We got over an 1-1/2" of rain last night, so I threw the Show Downs on her for some good mud slinging action!
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

So I got back in town after a week of travel for work to a dirty pile of Wraith after last weeks mud bog / slog. It was a total hoot, but I was dreading the clean up.

Took a couple hours today to knock off most of the mud and grime and get the old girl somewhat clean. Probably my only beef with the Wraith platform. A bit of a pain in the ass to work on and clean. To get real thorough pretty much requires near complete disassembly. I didn't go that deep since we're in the height of the season. She'll get another complete re-work this Winter along with some additional mods I'm kicking around.

Also, in the interest of my on going quest to get this rigs weight to a bare minimum, I ditched the stock Wraith interior and seats, and Jimmy Johnson also got the boot. Scored a Wraith Spawn interior and in it went. Total savings of 223grams. Doesn't sound like a lot until you consider the total weight of the vehicle.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #35
RCC Addict

How much of that 223g weight loss came from just the interior, not including your driver? I know those seats are heavy, but dang, 8oz IS a lot! For that kind of weight loss, I'd definitely ditch my interior.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
How much of that 223g weight loss came from just the interior, not including your driver? I know those seats are heavy, but dang, 8oz IS a lot! For that kind of weight loss, I'd definitely ditch my interior.
I can weigh Jimmy sometime today and back him out of the equation. My guess is that he was a decent chunk of the total. I'll post what he weighed.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Ok - Below are the stats. I did bend up a metal dash for my Wraith interior when the lexan unit got mangled, so that adds a bit to my interior.

My Interior = 223 grams

Wraith Seat = 55 grams

Wraith Seat with Jimmy Johnson = 108

So, Jimmy added 53 grams to the equation.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Hey, thanks for weighing those for me, I suppose I'm deep enough in this hobby that it's probably time to buy my own "drug dealer" scale. Looks like I could still lose ~5oz just with an interior swap, so still worthwhile. I hate having to add weight to my car just to bring the center of gravity down, always nicer to remove it from somewhere else to get the same effect. I see a Bomber interior, and possibly titanium rear links in my Wraith's future.

As of lately, I've been running with the likes of AX10's, Bully/Bully2's, LNC, and even my former MOA "not even a Redcat anymore" so my Wraith needs all the help it can get! I'll reread this build, and your rock bouncer build to see if I notice more little morsel's I could benefit from.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Hey, thanks for weighing those for me, I suppose I'm deep enough in this hobby that it's probably time to buy my own "drug dealer" scale. Looks like I could still lose ~5oz just with an interior swap, so still worthwhile. I hate having to add weight to my car just to bring the center of gravity down, always nicer to remove it from somewhere else to get the same effect. I see a Bomber interior, and possibly titanium rear links in my Wraith's future.

As of lately, I've been running with the likes of AX10's, Bully/Bully2's, LNC, and even my former MOA "not even a Redcat anymore" so my Wraith needs all the help it can get! I'll reread this build, and your rock bouncer build to see if I notice more little morsel's I could benefit from.
No problem! Let me know if you need anything else weighed! I actually bought this when I was shaving weight off one of my race bikes and it's been a great little tool to have. I think it was like $12 at Wal*Mart. With the relatively low weight of these vehicles, grams can count.

If you're running with more dedicated crawlers, you could definitely benefit from the Wraith "tummy tuck" mod. It basically brings the skid up higher in to the chassis and allows you to cut off the lower tubes of the chassis. I'm definitely going that route this Winter, or possibly sooner if I get a bug up my ass to get it done.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Got the new, low-profile 3D printed skid installed this morning. After it turned out the previous version I purchased was not totally correct, Shapeways credited me back. Thanks Shapeways! Anyway, the new, updated version when in without a hitch, and the previous fitment issues appear to be corrected. I also like that they eliminated the imprinted text that was on the bottom of the 1st generation unit. It would only serve to provide hang up points on the rocks. Also, with the new Spawn interior, there was no need to space the interior up off the chassis like I had to do with the Wraith full interior. Looks like I gained just under a 1/4" of additional clearance, so that's cool. I thought about tummy tucking it as well, but I really like my BGR sliders, and as I looked at it, it seemed it was going to present some issues to try and integrate them. I may get in to it this Winter when I do a full tear down and re-build though.

I also scored some new, full coverage beadlock rings. I've always liked that look, and it was a cheap and easy upgrade. Although, I got all four wheels done before I realized I had only properly "clocked" one of the beadlock rings to line up and evenly expose the backing wheel holes. I'm probably the only person that would have noticed, but the freak in me broke all three other wheels back down and re-clocked the rings. Pain in the a-@!

Lastly, I've always wanted to do up a Spawn body. Scored this one on Amazon for $36 new in the bag. Cut the hood for the BGR shock towers and got her fitted up. I'll be blacking out the hood and doing a few other mods to it as well. Possibly removing the rear roof section - I'm on the fence with that and will need to stare at it for a while longer to decide.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good weekend and getting out for a trail or crawl!
Attached Images

Stretched out my WB a bit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stretched out,,,, dezmoon Tamiya CR-01 20 02-27-2009 05:30 PM
stretched CC-01 fathead 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-12-2008 09:17 PM
stretched Handsomerob HPI Wheely King 6 04-08-2008 09:29 PM
My Stretched WK with 1.9s Sasquatchbagger HPI Wheely King 6 12-14-2007 03:48 PM
i stretched my WB a bit dieselfuel Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 06-16-2006 09:39 PM