Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

I feel like a heel. All of my other rigs have build threads, but the one that got me back into the hobby (for a third time) hasn't gotten much love beyond the occasional post in the official photo thread. Time to correct that. Here's a thread. The details my be hazy, but I'm done being lazy. Let the healing begin!

This is how it looked the day I finished building my first kit in probably a dozen years. It didn't stay this way long performance or cleanliness-wise. It was pretty much bone stock at first. The kit parts were rounded out with a Castle Sidewinder 3 ESC, Castle sensorless motor, Spektrum servo, a simple lighting kit, some shiny red paint and Han Solo behind the wheel.

Axial Wraith Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

Things didn't stay stock for long. I quickly set about making some basic updates that greatly improved the truck's performance. Those changes included (not all at once, but done in a pretty small window of time):

- Tekin Roc412 sensored motor
- Castle MMP
- Pit Bull RBII tires
- CI Deuces Wild foams
- Gearhead beadlock wheels
- Metal transmission gears
- MIP drive shafts
- ProLine Slash front shocks
- Rear sway bar
- Moving the battery forward
- Vanquish steering links
- Double clamping servo horn

Nothing revolutionary, obviously, but enough to make it a bit more durable, a little more stable and a lot more fun. It's seen action on the trails, the crawler course at my LHS and some general bashing. It's my #1 pick when the snow starts to fall. Other than the occasional broken link end, the rig held up great and stayed this way for a long time. Even with my preference for 1.9 rigs, this tiny truck has logged a bunch of trail miles. It's my older son's go-to truck when we go for a hike. The fact that he can strap his Star Wars action figures into the passenger seat might have a little something to do with that. So might the fact that this thing can roll over just about anything in its path.

Axial Wraith by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 01-19-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the CI foams! Also forgot I hadn't done the HD gears yet.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

I like the pics! Especially your serpentine friend...
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

That's a good looking rig & nice/simple build.

Which ROC412 KV did you get? And what power are you running on, 2S? 3S?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I like the pics! Especially your serpentine friend...
Thanks. He's rather fond of you, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
That's a good looking rig & nice/simple build.

Which ROC412 KV did you get? And what power are you running on, 2S? 3S?
Thanks. It's the old 3100kv motor. I treated the MMP and motor sensor board with CorrosionX. The boy runs it on 2s. I run 2s or 3s depending on my mood.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

About 10 months ago I beefed up the Wraith with Beef things and beef things.

The axles got Beef Tubes, HD gears, and Locked Up spools. That'll do nicely. I also changed from CI Deuces Wild to some Double Deuce foams (by this time I had built my Yeti for more of the bash-y stuff). Lastly, I added some Incision stainless links (kept the titanium steering links). No more broken link ends!

Graphic photos of the surgery...

Old 01-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here's the patient post surgery (I even cleaned it!)...

Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Johnny does some great work!!
I JUST started mine, and still looking for ideas... Is Han Solo 6" or 7"? I know these interiors are pretty big....I'm figuring what Figures I want.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Johnny does some great work!!
I JUST started mine, and still looking for ideas... Is Han Solo 6" or 7"? I know these interiors are pretty big....I'm figuring what Figures I want.
Johnny thanks you for the compliment!

The Star Wars figures are 6". They're a little small for these rigs, but I just can't help myself (Luke drives my G6 and Finn drives my Dingo). I did see a 7" Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard figure at Toys R Us the other day that was tempting for this rig. I'm not a huge fan of the original Blade Runner film (haven't seen the new one yet), so I passed... for now.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

I'm not sure if it's your camera or your filter, but I love your photos! What are you using?

I also love the look of your Wraith. I need to buy a new body and put some real power in mine because right now I hate mine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the Photo skillz!! :thumbup:
I thought Han looked a little "malnourished".... But I can see why you kept him. I'm going to HAVE to find a 7" Figure before I'm done building. I've given a few people CRAP for wheeling "autonomous Rigs - so if I see any, I'm sure they'll retaliate!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm not sure if it's your camera or your filter, but I love your photos! What are you using?
Thanks. I like taking photos. Live music is my main photography passion. Shooting energetic rock bands in dark clubs can be a humbling experience. Tiny trucks offer their own challenges.

I'm a firm believer in "the best camera is the one you have with you." Most of my shots out on the trail are just using my iPhone. I'll do a quick pass with VSCO Cam, but I try not to get too heavy-handed (although I'm a sucker for vignetting). Build photos are usually my little Sony RX100 because it's small enough to leave on the work surface without getting in the way. For shots in the back yard (usually only when I've just finished a build or a bunch of upgrades) will be with my Canon 6D. The Sony and Canon shots will get a quick once-over in Lightroom before I post them.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Always cool to see the evolution of a rig as it goes from stock to modified and personalized!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

At the start of the winter I picked up a set of 2.2 Mud Bashers for snow runs. They're not my favorite look on the Wraith (I would like to build a mud truck with them!), but it's hard to argue with their effectiveness in the snow. Easily the best tires I've ever run in the white stuff. They work pretty darn well in other conditions, too.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Those mud bashers look awesome on that rig and I bet they perform great in the snow
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
Those mud bashers look awesome on that rig and I bet they perform great in the snow
They really are great in the snow. The Rock Beasts would just clog right up. I'd run 2.2 Proline mashers occasionally, but they left a lot to be desired on the trails. The Mud Bashers work as well as could be expected. I'm running Deuces Wild foams in there since they get real wet.

It's a good thing my wife doesn't want a mud pit in the yard 'cause I'd be tempted to build a truck just for those wheels and tires. I've got enough projects I'd like to do already.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks great man, really like it.

I'm updating my sons Wraith, will get some pics up soon.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
Looks great man, really like it.
Thanks!

Trailing my new Bomber has rejuvenated my interest in 2.2 rigs. I took the Wraith out for some frozen fun the other day. It got me thinking about some more modest upgrades. Why is it so much fun to tinker with these things?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Thanks!

Trailing my new Bomber has rejuvenated my interest in 2.2 rigs. I took the Wraith out for some frozen fun the other day. It got me thinking about some more modest upgrades. Why is it so much fun to tinker with these things?
I feel the need to try a set of those tires! They look fantastic!
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I feel the need to try a set of those tires! They look fantastic!
Looks are subjective, but they're nice for what they are. If they fit the look of your rig, then great! I've definitely been impressed by them. They don't clog up and they've been surprisingly grippy. I haven't tried them at the crawler course at my LHS yet due to the weather. That will be a good test.

In the end I like the look of some other tires better, so I'll probably swap them out when I'm reasonably sure snow/mud season has passed. Options are fun, though. I'm a wheel/tire addict.

Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny's TFL Bronco Johnnysplits 1.9 Scale Rigs 49 02-25-2019 10:52 AM
Johnny's Axial SCX-10 G6 (Re)Build JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX-10 42 02-05-2019 05:39 PM
Johnny's Class 3 RR10 Crawler johnnyh66 Axial RR10 Bomber 22 01-10-2017 10:16 PM
Wraith / xr10 / ax10 New years fun Dostradamas Videos! 0 03-20-2013 04:18 PM
Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith? strap624 Axial Wraith 15 08-29-2011 08:28 PM