Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith based Rock Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer

I was able to get the old Deadbolt interior trimmed up reasonably well to fit within the rock bouncer cage. It's not perfect, but looks pretty good overall. Ideally, I wanted to use a Wraith Spawn interior, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth at the moment! I may still go that route if and when they become available again, but this works for the time being at least.

At the back right area of the interior, I had to cut the passenger seat away to create the offset I needed. That left a small void that I intend to fill with a Nitrous bottle and fire extinguisher mounted to the frame. I think it will make it look more like an access panel with a little bit of creativity.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Mocked up some side panels for this sucker last night. My thinking is, they will help it glide and slide through and past rocks and other obstacles versus getting hung up on the cage. And, it hides the fact that the interior is just flat across on the underside. This is the first set I came up with. I may do a few tweaks here and there. Difficult getting them the way I like them on this rig with all the different bends, angles and directions of the tubing of this cage.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I got the SSD Ti uppers and SSD aluminum lowers installed on the rig last night. I had also in-boarded the rear shocks, but didn't like how far they were canted in. So I used some smaller spacers to bring them in a bit closer. The suspension feels great on this thing and the flex and articulation are saaaawwweeeeetttt! Can't wait to shake this sucker down!
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

That looks GOOD Mike!!!!
That Axle is a real Jewel too! If you don't mind me asking, how much $$$?? I really think I may try to do that rear setup on Spawned. With most of my weight shoved up front, even with 1.07lb rear Springs, it can't get full compression on its own! The Bomber Trailing Arms are sounding like a great idea. Gives some cantilever action, dividing the Spring Tension.

It sorta works now, but from ANY sized jump, the rear is going to come CRASHING down Hard, with the 1lb Springs on her now!!! Trailing Arms ARE the solution...

Yours is shaping up quite nicely - and QUICKLY!!

Last edited by THX_138; 04-26-2018 at 06:53 PM.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

It does look pretty sharp. Have you considered fitting the old set of trailing arms in the front just to see what it looks like?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
It does look pretty sharp. Have you considered fitting the old set of trailing arms in the front just to see what it looks like?
You must have read my mind! I have not yet, but I'm definitely going to check it out. That said, I've always felt trailing arms look a bit funky on the front of a rig. Are they still "trailing" if they're up front!?

That said, if they provide a noticeable performance enhancement, I'm down.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

On the front, they’re just called “leading arms”. And yes, they do look very strange.

Sorry if it was answered somewhere but what are those tires? Almost looks like cut n grooved BFGs?
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Tim Camerons new bouncer has "leading arms", its a different looking setup for sure.

As for if its better, I think it might be too new to really get a good idea yet.

Great looking build BTW! and I like the black cage as is, the brightly colored cages seem a bit too common to me.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-26-2018 at 05:52 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The SMTs have them.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
On the front, they’re just called “leading arms”. And yes, they do look very strange.

Sorry if it was answered somewhere but what are those tires? Almost looks like cut n grooved BFGs?
The tires are Duratrax Showdowns. Very economical tire and they work very well in loose loam, dirt, and do fairly well in rocks. It took a number of runs to get them scrubbed in, but they hook up pretty well now. I also vented them with a leather punch - approx 1/8" hole. 4 holes in the fronts, 2 holes in the rears.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I got the SSD scale steel drive shafts installed after dinner tonight. Ordered the Yeti rear for the length with the Yeti trailing arm set up. Then a standard Wraith front. I love that they have a scale look to them with this rig being so transparent.

Threw the battery in and played with my shock set up a bit as well. I think she's stancing pretty good now. Took a bit of pre-load out of the rear and moved 1 mounting location. Added a bit of pre-load up front and also moved 1 mounting location.

Now, I've just got to decide what is going to power this beast!? Given the 1:1's are all INSANE motor, I think it's gotta be brushless and a higher KV rating. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Something in the range of 3500kv on 4s, or 4500kv on 3s, in a 550 sized can is where I'd start looking. I had a 56mm 3400kv on 4s in my sand Wraith and wished I'd gone with a longer can from the start. I was on the verge of buying a Tenshock sc411 4600kv, (which would fit, and allegedly will take 4s, and produces 2000w) but shifted gears and went back to brushed instead. If you went with something like that, you'd definitely find your weak links real quick!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

That Rig is shaping up nicely!! Hey, is that the $45.00 cage I keep seeing on EvilBay? It looks similar, but I'm not sure. Regardless, it looks great, and the Trailing Arms really make it!

....... LEADING Arms???? Who knows! It's all about the plushest Suspension, for going 100mph over things that would DESTROY a Street Truck!!
It MIGHT work.... Doesn't cost you anything to at least try it out, right?
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

@PoorManRC - My guess Carmine is that it would be the same one or very similar. I scored this chassis off of FleaBay as well. It was $57 shipped. (RC Mart). Honestly, I'm pretty impressed overall for a no-name chassis. Welds are pretty decent, multiple shock mounting locations, hinged flip up "hood" with rare earth magnet latch. Not too bad for the $.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Decided to add a bit of "scale factor" last night. Still not having a lot of luck finding a faux engine to throw up front.

I'm not really sure I have the real estate to do it either. Once the ESC, BEC and Rx are up there, not a lot of room left. I suppose I could mount the Rx and BEC out back in the fuel cell, but then I have to contend with the runs to the servo and ESC up front. Unless I could package the ESC, BEC and Rx all out back somehow - then I'd only have the servo lead to run back and I could stash that in some small, black wire loom. IDK - I'll keep fiddling with it and see what I can come up with.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

It's a little thing, but the RED mounting tabs for the fuel cell were bothering me. I wanted them to blend in more with the chassis and also make the black zip ties disappear. A touch of black paint and wallah!

I generally hate using zip ties to mount stuff, but there really isn't a better way on this round tube chassis without getting in to some full blown fabrication. So, zip ties it is!
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

It's called "FLEX FRIDAY" right!? Dirty Steve and the "Barronco" look tiny next to this beast!
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

So, with packaging the electronics - ESC, BEC, Rx, and not really being able to find a faux motor I like, I've kinda given up on that idea.

Switching gears, I'm thinking I might do an actual hood versus the cage latch hood so I can stash / conceal the electronics up front and hide / protect the battery. I've been using an old AE2 ESC, my Rx and BEC to play around with how things would fit and look, and i'm not digging them being all exposed up there. Just doesn't look clean.

Started throwing together a couple patterns today to mock some things up. I definitely like that this scenario will conceal everything. My plan is to bend it up in aluminum, then figure out a way to hinge it for ease of battery access. I may use the existing frame tabs to do that, but with the thinner gauge aluminum I plan on using, I'm not sure how long the integrated, bent tabs I would do on the hood to interface with the frame tabs would hold up. If I don't use the frame tabs, I happen to have an LED light bar that fits and will mount perfectly between them, which would be cool.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Still playing around with patterns for panels. I vastly simplified my previous version of the side chassis panel. I think it will work much better when translated in to aluminum. (1st pic)

I've also pretty well got the hood with front side panel area where I want it. Although I'm still scratching my head on a hinging mechanism. (2nd pic)

Lastly, toying with the idea of a roof panel, but still not 100% on that. (3rd pic)
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

The roof seems like a good fit. Does make the shortness of the driver more obvious. Is the spawn interior taller?( I should know i own one...but no interior on mine)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote