Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith based Rock Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Hell, a small-block can be built to be one serious powerhouse - none of my tongue-in-cheek metaphorical comparisons were to stock 1:1 motors!

Back in the day a well built motor had “500” today the factory bad boys are at 800!

I still remember flatheads.....60 horse

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The new brushed Holmes motors look to be a viable option. For the brushed crowd at least.
Sure are - I love my 550 Trailmaster Sport. On 3S it's a beast...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Sure are - I love my 550 Trailmaster Sport. On 3S it's a beast...

The new, new motors. The Magnums.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...agnum-540.html
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Might I suggest a SuperShafty style trans running the RobinsonRacing / Traxxas style slipper on the beefy top shaft. I’ve had it save me with extreme bite under a rock, when it binds, I heard it first, backed out, worth it !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE - I may go that route if I blow up the HR Trans. I’m thinking a derlin spur is my cheapest path to some modicum of a fail safe right now. That, and I could throw the slipper back in to the mix. I’ll do some mellow testing and see how it puts the power down then make a determination.

Traveling for work this week, but hoping to get everything soldered, hooked up, located in the rig and installed this coming weekend. I’ll post up when I do.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Default Wraith based Rock Bouncer

Delrin spur saves you once, then take it apart and redo. I like my slipper. It's big and beefy, once it worn it is quite reliable.

Last edited by mikemcE; 05-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
As much money as I've blown on RC (2 Holmes/CC Mamba X brushless setups, 1 Holmes/Hobbywing brushed) I'm not in the target market for $150 brushed motors - as awesome as they may be!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:40 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

I agree Durok. At that pricepoint, you're well within brushless territory. Having said that, my little Barronco project with it's 30T TorqueMaster has really made me appreciate a good brushed set up again. But, it's a $50 motor, not $150.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Well I for one have a bit of hole burning in my pocket (gift certificates) and I sprung for the new Magnum motor, I also wanted to support Holmes after hearing how Castles crawler motors have cut into their share of the crawler market.
Anyway I'm really liking the Magnum motor, it has a great range of speed on 3S, it sounds a little more high pitched than a Crawlmaster motor, its kind of a screamer at full chat (the sound). Its in my Ascender which had a 13T Crawlmaster before, now an 11T and I need to gear it down a hair.

I'm a sucker for a nice brushed motor, there's just something special about the sound and feel while just creeping along that's missing with brushless IMO.

But the less expensive Holmes motors offer close to the same feel and performance as their top shelf stuff.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-09-2018 at 10:36 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

I'm now sad..........
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Back in the day a well built motor had “500” today the factory bad boys are at 800!

I still remember flatheads.....60 horse
Hang up and Drive
I REMEMBER those Days... Yeah, I had a Motion Performance 496 built, at the then STAGGERING cost of $2200.00!!! 488hp. In 1981, BEAST....2018, optional SUV Engine. FAST is now a lot faster than it used to be!
..... I do miss my Grand National. Nothing but mild port/polish, 55# Injectors, Chip, 3-1/2" Exhaust, and 3.90 gears - 11.80's all day, breaking loose about 70ft out of the hole!
* Comfortable, handled like a CAR, 24mpg (when I was nice!!), and ice cold A/C!! It was the beginning of the new breed of Performance Cars.

Mike, this gets exponentially more BADASS every time I look!!!
Can't wait to see what she'll do with that "Big Block"!!

My ONLY progress has been finally getting a new 20kg all Metal Gear Servo, and I made a "Glitch Buster" out of an old Batry Lead, and the biggest Capacitor I could find in my junk. Hopefully, she will be moving under her own power soon.
Thanks again to Jake at Wounded Warriors for the Servo - in case you're on this Forum!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Got the aluminum panels wrapped with the vinyl I ordered. I am really liking the look. Having said that, for a guy who cannot stand to wrap Christmas presents or anything else, it was a bit of a pain in the a--! With the wife being the designated gift wrapper of the house, and far more adept at it then me, I had her do the more complex hood. She knocked it outta the park! (I'll be running to get her a Venti Starbucks Latte tomorrow per her request!)

I'm gonna try and get in to soldering up the ESC connector and extending the motor leads tonight or tomorrow. I was traveling all this week and got home to a jungle of a lawn, so it was yard work most of the day today.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Sweet !! Worked out great on the hood !!

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys!

I'm really liking it. Also like the fact that if I get tired of it I can just order some different vinyl.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

@Steve g - Thanks! It has started to grow on me more now that everything is mostly complete. I do like the fact that it was recycled to be used again as well. (I gave him a bit of a neck extension courtesy of a plastic shock stand-off to get the helmet a bit higher in the interior.) I may still peep one of those Spawn interiors just to have on hand. Crazy how hard they've gotten to find.

I pulled off the funky little mesh sticker that was on the hood earlier too. Thought it might be cool to show some sort of "ventilation" out of the hood. I kinda liked it at first, but then nah. (Almost looks like the scratchy part of a velcro strip in the pics)

Last edited by mewalsh100; 05-12-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Really liking that gray camo
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Really liking that gray camo
Thank you Mike!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

She's ALIVE! And, she is an absolute BEAST! Straight up ballooning the 2.2's at full throttle. Wheelies. So much power and torque. Maybe too much!? Nahhh!

First impressions from my little shake-down run. I'm going to need some dense, single stage foams, and possibly different tires. The ballooning was making me laugh, but it's definitely not practical.

Shocks. I think I'm going to go to a heavier oil, and I need to add a bit more pre-load at all four corners. Just going to take some playing around to get it where I want.

Motor temps seemed good with the 11/57 pinion/spur set up. But, I'm going to have to keep an eye on it for a while since this was only about 20 mins of run time.

Power delivery. Like I said, it's insane. I'm probably going to have to play with the throttle curve in CastleLink to mellow it out a bit.

I've also got to do a little cable management under the hood and clean up my runs a bit. I was way to amped to get her out on the shakedown to take the time to do that today though.

All in all I'm very pleased and with some dialing-in she is going to be one helluva fun rig I believe.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Great to hear, will you do some video?
On the shock side, do you think heavier oil will be better that firmer springs? Keen to see which works best as I need to firm up as well!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Got the single stage CI foams in - forgot I had them from the old AX-10. Tire situation seems to be cured. Also played with the pre-load. It's better, but still not where I want it. I'm thinking I may go to a shorter travel shock. The King 120mm may be a bit too long. The articulation is great, but at any sort of speed it's just wallowing and wanting to roll. I realize it's not an SC truck, and I'll keep dialing and playing with these to see if I can get them where I want them first.

Also had the first breakage. (That was quick). Rod end on the Yeti trailing arms snapped off. I had the same problem with the aluminum Losi units on my Baja Rey. Metal links, plastic rod-ends - when something has to give it's going to be the plastic every time. I ended up going with all metal end to end HR links on the Baja Rey and it was problem solved. We'll see if this was an isolated incident or if it's going to be ongoing.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Great to hear, will you do some video?
On the shock side, do you think heavier oil will be better that firmer springs? Keen to see which works best as I need to firm up as well!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, the re-bound was way too quick so that's where the heavier oil will come in to play. Should slow it down a good bit. As far as the springs, I'll have to keep testing and see. Honestly, I think the rate is there and I can just kind of play with the pre-load a bit as I've done to get my sag / ride height where I want it.

As far as video, I need to reset my youtube password so I can post it there and place a link here. I'll try and do that tonight.