RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Wraith based Rock Bouncer (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/597902-wraith-based-rock-bouncer.html)

mewalsh100 04-19-2018 03:05 PM

Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
3 Attachment(s)
So I've been wanting to do a Wraith based rock bouncer for a while now. I ended up ordering one of those steel tube rock bouncer cages on FleaBay and it actually looks pretty nice. Getting a parts list together of the parts I don't have and I have a question.

I'm interested in doing a trailing arm set up on this thing. I've actually mocked up my stock, plastic Losi Baja Rey trailing arms and stock plastic uppers to an aluminum Wraith skid I had in the parts bin. They look sweet and are definitely the length I want. I did have to clearance the aluminum skid with a dremel to fit the wider ends in. I also had to take some of the outer opening of the skid and widen it out at an angle with the dremel. Unfortunately, the ends of these trailing arms are so wide that even with what I have clearenced on the skid, they don't seem to allow for much articulation. Straight up and down, cycling the suspension is great. But, any sort of flex and they bind up and there's not much more I can safely clearance from the skid.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Bomber trailing arms in their Wraith skid? I'm thinking if I can find a trailing arm with narrower ends, I'll be fine. I just hate to order the $45 worth of parts without any intel. Pics below for what I've mocked up with the Losi parts.

Crawler Cads 04-19-2018 03:27 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
I can't answer your question, but can I ask why you want to use trailing arms in the first place? Is there a performance improvement going this route or is just cosmetic?
I ask because I'm redoing my son's Wraith into more of a rock racer than crawler and if I'm missing something obvious I'd like to know about it!
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Brake Weight 04-19-2018 03:57 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
I donít think your driveshaft will clear the upper links but it may.


https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141959238574

Or
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F381740667419

mewalsh100 04-19-2018 04:05 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawler Cads (Post 5823597)
I can't answer your question, but can I ask why you want to use trailing arms in the first place? Is there a performance improvement going this route or is just cosmetic?
I ask because I'm redoing my son's Wraith into more of a rock racer than crawler and if I'm missing something obvious I'd like to know about it!
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Primarily performance. You can get better shock actuation with trailing arm on a Wraith versus stock shock positioning. Check out Blue Monkey - they've got some cool info on this. Also - I'm going for a longer wheelbase than stock Wraith for this rock bouncer, and trailing arms will get me there without having to make custom links - although it may come to that if I can't find trailing arms that clear the Wraith skid better.

mewalsh100 04-19-2018 04:08 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5823613)
I donít think your driveshaft will clear the upper links but it may.


https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141959238574

Or
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F381740667419


Good find! Those definitely look like they will have better clearance in the Wraith skid! Thanks Bud!"thumbsup"

Crawler Cads 04-19-2018 04:10 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Excellent, I'll check out blue monkey, thanks and good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mewalsh100 04-20-2018 08:33 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
I'm thinkin I wanna put a big, honkin scale V8 motor in this thing. I've been looking on EBAY and all points in between. I checked out Harley's rock bouncer build, and I know he found a 1/8 Monogram model V8. But, so far I've found nothing. (1/8 seems to be the scale needed). Anyone know of a source???

durok 04-20-2018 10:09 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Didja try ShapeWays?

I'm looking at various places now... on Amazon there's a large scale Model T for $703 (NO TYPO!!!) and a 1/12th scale Fiat Topolino dragster with an exposed monster V-8...

Shapeways Bomber LS1 (already supposed to be used in 1/10th R/C):

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H8...li=marketplace

It's hollow and can house a receiver... around $45.

mewalsh100 04-21-2018 06:36 AM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5824074)
Didja try ShapeWays?

I'm looking at various places now... on Amazon there's a large scale Model T for $703 (NO TYPO!!!) and a 1/12th scale Fiat Topolino dragster with an exposed monster V-8...

Shapeways Bomber LS1 (already supposed to be used in 1/10th R/C):

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H8...li=marketplace

It's hollow and can house a receiver... around $45.

I did check Shapeways, although I did not find that link to the LS you sent me. Thanks for that!"thumbsup"

Everything I found was just blocks, where you had to by all the pieces/parts separate, which seemed to add up $$$ quickly!

I have not used a 3D printer myself. I would assume I can have the engine scaled to the dimensions I would like correct?

PoorManRC 04-21-2018 04:41 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
If you want to start with something cheap and basic.... And add some creativity...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2153072

It's an engine block, Designed to be a 540 Motor Sleeve. The Print files include the Block and Heads, front Timing Cover and Oil Pan as one piece, and separate Oil Filter.
It's something that you can add or make, any valve covers you want, and a variety of intakes or EFI Systems. The Print is around $3-5.00, plus shipping.

If you've never used Thingiverse before, I can ATTEMPT to guide you some... ;-)

EDIT: I logged on to Treatstock, the average is more like $5-7.00... but still not much. I'm going to want one, if I ever get my Deadbolt. Definitely want to do a forward Motor and opening Hood.

mewalsh100 04-21-2018 06:10 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Looks pretty good Carmine!

mewalsh100 04-23-2018 04:24 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
1 Attachment(s)
The big, brown truck showed up today!"thumbsup"

TheLetterJ 04-23-2018 05:05 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Please don't hate me if I'm wrong... are those the KYX/Integy Wraith axles that use a 10.2 pumpkin?

mewalsh100 04-23-2018 06:00 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLetterJ (Post 5824972)
Please don't hate me if I'm wrong... are those the KYX/Integy Wraith axles that use a 10.2 pumpkin?

I don't hate you, and you are not wrong."thumbsup" I'm typically leary or Integy stuff, but I bought some shock hoops for my project Barronco Axial / Barrage hybrid project (over in the 1.9 barrage forum) and I was very impressed. I found these on Ebay for a smokin deal and figured I'd give 'em a go. Honestly, they look freak'n jewel like. They roll super smooth and were well lubed from the factory, which is almost unheard of. I think they're gonna look sweet on this rig when she's all done.

mewalsh100 04-23-2018 06:09 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
6 Attachment(s)
Got started mocking some things up after dinner tonight. Going together very smoothly. The Yeti Trailing arm set up is looking and feeling sweet. Now that I know it's going to work, I'm going to pop for the aluminum Yeti uppers and trailing arms."thumbsup" Below are some pics so far. I also had some Ti uppers and lowers for the front from an SCX10. They seem to be the perfect length. Both front and rear have good diff/pinion angles right now."thumbsup"

I really like the little magnetic "hood" access up front too. (See pics). Pretty sure this is where my ESC, BEC and Rx are going to live."thumbsup"

Still kicking around what color I wanna do the cage in. I've got a set of silver bead locks with black rings I think I'm going to mount as well. Right now, I'm thinking a really bright green.:mrgreen:

mewalsh100 04-24-2018 08:22 AM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
1 Attachment(s)
Woke up early this morning, brewed a cup and spent a little time on this beast before work. I got all the black oxide hardware swapped out for stainless, and I also got the ShowDowns spooned on to the Black and Silver beadlocks. Looks a good bit cleaner IMHO.

Brake Weight 04-24-2018 08:29 AM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
It does look better. I would leave the cage black and just carry the black and silver theme throughout. Unless you can get it powder coated...

mewalsh100 04-24-2018 09:06 AM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5825158)
It does look better. I would leave the cage black and just carry the black and silver theme throughout. Unless you can get it powder coated...


Yeah, the black cage is definitely growing on me. It's just that you see so many black cages. I can get it powder coated - there's a guy not far from my house that does it. He did a bike frame for me for like $65, so I'm guessing this would be about $20-30. We'll see. Still have a lot of mock up to do. Going to try and work on cutting and trimming my old Deadbolt interior to fit in this cage tonight.:shock:

Brake Weight 04-24-2018 11:04 AM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5825180)
Yeah, the black cage is definitely growing on me. It's just that you see so many black cages. I can get it powder coated - there's a guy not far from my house that does it. He did a bike frame for me for like $65, so I'm guessing this would be about $20-30. We'll see. Still have a lot of mock up to do. Going to try and work on cutting and trimming my old Deadbolt interior to fit in this cage tonight.:shock:

If you go the PCoat route I would strip the axles and do them, too. Never having scratched paint again on a crawler would be nice. "Aircraft Stripper" from the parts house will remove any paint along with you wishing your hand would get cut off if it gets on you. Rubber gloves grow into boxing mitts, so be aware.

mewalsh100 04-24-2018 12:26 PM

Re: Wraith based Rock Bouncer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5825210)
If you go the PCoat route I would strip the axles and do them, too. Never having scratched paint again on a crawler would be nice. "Aircraft Stripper" from the parts house will remove any paint along with you wishing your hand would get cut off if it gets on you. Rubber gloves grow into boxing mitts, so be aware.

The axles are anodized, so I think I'm going to leave them be. They've got a real nice silver finish to them that works well with the new wheels I threw on her. I really am starting to like the black now as she comes together. I may just leave well enough alone since she's going to get thrashed on any way.

I've used aircraft stripper on bike frames before as well. You are correct! F--king ouch when it gets on your skin!:lmao:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com