Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Wrebuild; Project Paycheque..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith Wrebuild; Project Paycheque..

So I bought a Wrauth used from a local FB group member last fall ('17). Didn't really NEED a Wraith but I've always likes them and couldn't pass up the deal on this truck. I know the budget build platform is nothing new. I just like the idea and the challenge. Unlike "popular" other forms of budget build, this won't be a weekly $50 budget as that's $100 per check from work. This build will be (roughly) $75 every 2 weeks. There is also going to be a YT video series of the build as well. I'll post links here as I produce videos if people feel like following along and subscribing to my very small channel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Paycheque: My wraith "budget build"

And so it begins. I had high hopes to do a build series but life got in the way and now I just want this thing built. I'll put together a full parts list but for now, here's a pic of all the goodies going into this build.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

blew the budget fast

keen to see it progress now
Grimace83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
blew the budget fast

keen to see it progress now
Yes and no. That's actually more like 9 months of collecting a part here and a part there. I'll post up how it all would have fit in to the schedule/budget but I just don't have the time to film, edit and post right now. But at the same time there's an event I want to run this thing at next weekend... I appreciate the interest. Hopefully I don't disappoint.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I figured since, A: the build plan for this truck went out the window already and B: I'm just ordered the replacement/upgrade rear axle shafts, beadlocks and foams, I'd just start at the front and work my way back tonight. First was the front axle. Sad part is I had to tear apart the stock one just to get the 4 screws that hold the locker on to the ring gear. Incision locker and gear set at stock 38T gearing. I scored these Vanquish V2 housings within the past month off a local club member for a pretty decent price. Not originally in the 'budget' for darn sure though but as we mentioned previously, that's out the window.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

As long as I had the front ripped apart, next was the BP Customs battery and electronics tray for the front. The install of this requires the removal of the shock mount pieces on both sides, the cross brace that runs behind them and the receiver box. I'll update this post with a picture of it all buttoned up tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice. I've yet to build mine as well.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice. I've yet to build mine as well.
Get on it!!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Started my day with one of my least favorite tasks in RC: threading rod-ends on to threaded links. Going to stick with my front-to-back theme but wanted to just build them all now, and get it over with. The breakfast bell rang right as I was finishing the the last one. The links are the 1/4" stainless Incision link kit. I had debated titanium but these fit in the original theme better. More updates later.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Was able to pick away at the front end a little today but not much. There was a lot of time spent debating electronics placement. The BPC tray is a nice piece, but it does not allow you to use the receiver box in the stock location. I ordered up some Carter Fab pieces today but I imagine I won't see them until early part of next week. The thought process is potentially doing away with the receiver box all together, run the esc in the back and the receiver in back as well or potentially up front on the front tray.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Wrebuild; Project Paycheque..

Still waiting on a few pieces but slowly getting there. Links are all installed and the Vanquish V2 housings are stuffed and installed. I was using Incision lockers/spools but the rear housing was fighting me pretty bad. I could get the gear in but it wouldn't turn fro. Being too tight. I swapped in the stock locker housing on the rear and all seems to be good.. for now.. essentially all the limbs have been replaced and next is the brains and heart swap. Stock electronics w/tamiya connection just will not do..

I also mounted 2 of the 4 new shoes. Before pic are the orange ring axial beadlocks with ripsaw's that are being replaced by SSD champion beadlocks, CI foams and some of my favorites; Growlers.

Thanks for stopping by. Check back soon for another update!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lovin' that wheel choice, SSD Champions are a stunning way to go!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Lovin' that wheel choice, SSD Champions are a stunning way to go!
Thank you! I have 1.9, clear (gray/silver) with red rings on my ascender so these were an easy choice when it came time to pick beadlocks.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

My Carter Fab side panels, rear tray and rear fenderwell's came I today. I had kicked around the idea of leaving the black panels but I'm really digging the aluminum ones. Looks like I need to find a roof and hood now...

Old 07-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Yes, for Walker Evans wheels:
Indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids crawlin View Post
Looking good.

Thank you!

I started to tear apart the trans last night but noticed the case was pretty tired. The spot that the middle shaft rides in has a lot of play. I'm going to my LHS in a bit to see if they have a replacement, otherwise I've got one in an RPP cart. Just don't want to wait until the last minute to wrap this build up. I'd like to test some this afternoon if possible.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

So this thing became a complete pain as the build went. I was so frustrated, late nights after long days trying to complete this build plus go through 3 other trucks and install lights on all 4 that build pictures just didn't happen much past the last update. After getting it in a full roller state, the rear axle was grinding TERRIBLY on about a quarter of the ring gear. Swapped to stock lockers; still not fixed. Swapped the ring gear to the other side; smooth as butter. Well now this means ripping apart the front too, swapping and flipping the axle housing front and rear and reassembling them to their new configurations.

Another issue I ran into was in the transmission. With the SSD gears set I used and Incision output shafts I planned on using, I couldn't get the case to fully close completely. I could get 3 of the 4holes to line up to the skid but this was unacceptable to me. Robinson Racing single piece lower gear for the wraith solved this issue completely. Now the 21T Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport has torn through one and compromised another spur gear already. I'm gonna recheck mesh but I think my issue might stem from the 550 motor touching the skid brace slightly. Next is upgrade to a metal.. I have an 80t 48p RRP spur made for the wraith but unsure what pinion I want to run with it. But it lives. SSD Champion beadlocks wrapped in pitbull Growlers but might be swapping in XOR's soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

im having a bear of a time getting the incision spool and stock ratio incision gears into this housing. I ended up ordering a bearing kit hopefully to resolve my issue
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
im having a bear of a time getting the incision spool and stock ratio incision gears into this housing. I ended up ordering a bearing kit hopefully to resolve my issue
I've had the same issue using the incision spool. I ended up using the stock locker setup in one of the housings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thats not what I wanted to read.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
As long as I had the front ripped apart, next was the BP Customs battery and electronics tray for the front. The install of this requires the removal of the shock mount pieces on both sides, the cross brace that runs behind them and the receiver box. I'll update this post with a picture of it all buttoned up tomorrow.

Awesome build!! I'm very interested in that front battery tray. Will that fit a 5000 3s? And any pics of the tray finished?
pkfab1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Wrebuild; Project Paycheque.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unimog AKA "Radio" budget build Shinjari Axial SCX-10 37 09-17-2016 07:48 AM
ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build onebullet Axial AX-10 Scorpion 163 10-13-2015 01:28 PM
Losi MOA budget "re"build GRIMGREG Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 01-19-2014 12:06 PM
Finishlines C1 SCX10 Yota "Christmas Budget Build" finishline 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-02-2013 05:04 PM