Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: DIY Carbon Fiber body panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default DIY Carbon Fiber body panels

I got my Wraith used w/o any body and always caught flak for being cage-only. After seeing you can cut it with good scissors I decided to try 0.5mm thick CF panels that were $9ea from China.

It took an hour to make paperboard templates & cut the panels (sharp Fiskars). I only used 3/4 of two 200x300mm panels. They're surprisingly rigid, but flexible enough to hug the minor curves. It might not be the best look, but definitely different and a lot cheaper than hand-laid form-fitting CF parts.

This is the rough cut before sanding, held on with tape to see what it's like. I haven't decided if I want to notch the sides or put hinges on the front or rear of the hood. I'll be adding a rear panel & random bits with the leftover. The wedge over the windshield was just a spare chunk to cover the gap where the cage curves.

***NOTE: If you try this, be extremely careful when sanding - the resin particles can be toxic/alergen/irritants and inhaled CF particles can be irritants & possibly damaging to your lungs. Do all work with a GOOD respirator (I have 3M mask w/p100 filters), outside if possible, and use water to contain dust.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: DIY Carbon Fiber body panels

I got some time for sanding. I set up the sander & a box fan outside to reduce dust getting on me. I think I'll make a small front roof wedge after I get all the mounting holes done. I'm also going to cut notches in the door panels like most Wraith panels have.

I'm just not sure about the hood. I might make some structure under it to fill the side gaps & curve it out a bit rather than keep it flat. The blue dots are just to indicate the panel's outside.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

DIY Carbon Fiber body panels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon fiber body panels? 2-shot Axial Yeti 6 02-05-2015 01:39 PM
New Carbon Fiber body panels... chartrunner Axial AX-10 Scorpion 29 08-11-2010 01:38 PM
Carbon Fiber body panels BEETLE JUICE V3 Chadh4x Paint and Body 16 07-02-2010 07:44 AM