Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: GoolRc? For Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default GoolRc? For Wraith?

Havent been out crawling for a while now,But got out the other day just for a quick outing with my daughter. We went to a local place and what was decent gravel/hilly/rocky terrain was overgrown with 3' weeds and grass. So we had a small area to crawl around and a open field and gravel lot,So being in a more open area you really notice the speed. lol,,We were having like 5min 1 lap races,Still had fun but made me think I might want to try a brushless setup out.

I know the wraith is not a speed truck,But right now I run a traxxas titan 550 motor and its top speed is like a slow walking speed at best. So im looking for something that would still crawl good and give me a bit a speed like maybe 6-7mph,Im not sure what that truck would handle,but I assume it would be in that range?

I searched for a setup and I keep seeing these Goolrc combos on ebay,Most cost like $40-$50 for a waterproof esc and motor,,and some come with a program card. Seems like a great deal....If it lasts? Looked up some youtube vids and read some random reviews and it seems like it's hit or miss. Some said the esc fan burns out almost immediately,Some say esc fried,Some say its the best deal on the planet and the best deal ever for the money and had no problems.

So I'd like to know if anyone put one in a wraith and has good luck with them or Id like to know if it was a total horror story and was junk.

So if the goolrc is worth a shot,I see mulitple kv's and usually a 45A or 60A esc,Looks like the 45A comes with a program card and the 60A does Not. I assume I would want the program card,But would I want the 60A for added protection,,or dont think the wraith will push it over 45A "driven normally"?

If you think the Goolrc should be avoided,Do you have a better more proven system on the cheaper side to recommend,and in any case whats a good kv and gearing ratio? The lowest I seen in the goolrc was 3100kv,Sound about right?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: GoolRc? For Wraith?

I put a Trackstar Gen 2 120A ESC and a HW 13.5T sensored in my son's Wraith which is slightly upgraded, not crazy upgrades but removed plastics.
It crawls amazingly well (crawled the same as dedicated brushed crawlers at recon in the UK last week) and a top speed of around 20mph.
Heat wise this setup is surprisingly cool and we plug the ESC fan in probably once every 20 minutes for about 3 minutes and that cools it off really well.

Ive read that goolrc motors and actuay very good but not heard about the ESC's at all...
Perhaps to save some money the HW 10bl120 (or 60) would be the best fit and then opt for the gool motor?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

How low are you geared!? A bit of speed is attainable with a 550 brushed, while keeping the low end smooth. 6-7 and more mph no problem. And a cheapo sensorless will probably be useless for crawling. Cog city.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree keep the motor you have and jump up about 3 teeth on your pinnion gear and or more voltage go 3s or 4s i have the 550 21t traxxass motors on my racing clod on 4s it hauls but on 3s its tame on 2s its slow i have 2 goolrc brushed motors there as good as my other brushed motors i have several brushless motors that are the same as th3 goolrc brushless motors and i wouldent use them on a crawler unless its super low geared as they cog at start up and dont have alot of torque ether so the gearing is very important the cheap escs ive used seem to work ok but the programing cards dont have alot of adjustments i couldent get the settings i wanted to tune my rig simple stuff that most brushed escs are already set up for i had a 60 amp esc with a 1850kv motor in my wraith the esc did fine till it hit 100 degrees outside and it went up in smoke

Last edited by ferp420; 06-03-2018 at 07:17 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have the titan 24t in my wraith, and this winter i installed a 14t pinion. On 3s it is close to 10 mph, and still has enough grunt to crawl. I also have xl prolines, so that also increased speed a hair. I have a couple of the goolrc combos. They are working great for me, even on 3s, but in 2wd light stadium trucks. They are horrible for low speed, lots of cogging. I tried gearing down as much as I could, just to see how it would be, and then the motor started getting hot. Wouldn't put one in a wraith, or any crawler. And fyi, either of the goolrc program cards ( grey or red) both work for both goolrc escs (original and updated), along with the ocday escs, and the unbranded ones that look like the goolrcs( they are the same, just rebranded). There are much better sensorless combos that don't cog as bad, but at that price point, sensored is the way to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I put a 34$ 3640 GoolRC combo in my 2wd slash and it performs great. I only run it on 2s tho, I have heard their ESCs go up in flames on 3s. The motors tho, they are gold for the price. Even tho its often a smaller motor in a large can they still perform. I cant tell the difference between my goolrc combo and my castle SCT 3800kv combo at all.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote

GoolRc? For Wraith? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GoolRC 120A 1/8 sensored esc Good? MM5150 Electronics 17 07-07-2019 02:36 PM
GoolRC Brush Motors nightcrawler48 Electronics 30 03-02-2018 09:49 AM
GoolRC 3660 3800KV Motor & Waterproof 60A Brushless ESC Wehlee Electronics 7 03-09-2017 12:20 AM
Any input on goolrc sensored brushless esc bro_die Electronics 5 01-26-2017 04:34 PM