Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rock racer suspensions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Default Rock racer suspensions

Hello all!!

I'm doing some improvements in my Wraith in order to race it in rockracer competitions.

My concern is the suspension... As I've some experience in buggys, I've a Mugen mbx7 r at home... and the suspensions are IPS in both axles. When you take it with your hands, and release it down to the floor, the suspension is very smooth. When you do the same with Wraith, it seems you are releasing a basketball ball. Not absorving at all! I've it in the softer position, I tried with many configurations, and it's the same!!

I know that IPS are better for a smooth suspension but I guess that maybe I could do something to improve my solid axle suspensions. Almost all of the suspension work is done by the tyres!

Any suggestions guys??

Cheers from Spain!
SpaniardCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rock racer suspensions

The factory Wraith shocks are not what you want for what you want to do with the rig. But swapping the shock oil to some thicker oil and/or change the little discs out on the shock shafts to the ones with smaller holes if you still have the parts trees. The smaller holes will slow down the movement.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Noted bro!

What oild would you choose for that porpouse?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The thickest you can find. I bought a bunch of oil from a guy ‘getting out of the hobby’ a year or so ago. I don’t remember the number but it’s a Losi brand. Brake fluid for a car would work but, again, I don’t remember which is thicker DOT 3 or 4. Maybe even power steering fluid. But I would wait on finding some proper fluid. Count each drop per shock when filling.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The thickest you can find. I bought a bunch of oil from a guy ‘getting out of the hobby’ a year or so ago. I don’t remember the number but it’s a Losi brand. Brake fluid for a car would work but, again, I don’t remember which is thicker DOT 3 or 4. Maybe even power steering fluid. But I would wait on finding some proper fluid. Count each drop per shock when filling.
Great!! Thank you!!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The factory Wraith shocks are not what you want for what you want to do with the rig. But swapping the shock oil to some thicker oil and/or change the little discs out on the shock shafts to the ones with smaller holes if you still have the parts trees. The smaller holes will slow down the movement.
I suggest bigger holes plus thick oil. Small holes pistons are more likely to generate turbulence inside the shock, making it feel "dead"
Rc tech has lots of info on shock tuning. Such info is easy to find
wdiabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I found my wraith handled better (at speed) with no oil in the shocks, compared to 30wt. Soaked up everything. With some light oil (10-15 with stock pistons) to and sway bars to control TT it would be great.

Or, as already suggested, use your usual 30ish weight and widen the piston holes.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardCrawler View Post
Great!! Thank you!!
I used Marvel Mystery Oil a couple times. Seemed to work well.
pmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Is the spring rate where you want it? Too stiff? If fine, is the sag good ( you like the ride height, tires can drop a bit)? If all is well there, on to the oil. What weight oil are you currently using? If you don't know, 30 wt is a good starting point. How fast is your rig, can you suspension tune for the full range of speed or pick a happy medium? As you change things, note the changes, one at a time. Video you rig after the changes, what you think and what actually is are probably 2 different things. Its frustrating at first, be patient.

Last edited by MAC FAB; 07-04-2018 at 08:46 PM.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock racer suspensions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey TIME MACHINE General Crawlers 27 11-20-2018 05:58 AM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM