Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith rebuild: Aftermarket parts to avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Default Wraith rebuild: Aftermarket parts to avoid?

I have gotten lots of great info here. Thanks everyone.

As I dive into this new build, I am wondering what parts (if any) I should avoid buying (or replacing) with aftermarket.

I am admittedly a sucker for anodized aluminum parts. One of my visions for this build is to go with a stainless and black color scheme accented w/ anodized parts where they can fit in.

As of this writing, I am back and forth on whether to go 1.9 or 2.2, but I do know I want to avoid the pretty stuff that will break easily if I can.

Thaks for any input.
maxinflixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith rebuild: Aftermarket parts to avoid?

It's really hard to make suggestions as there are so many parts. You will also find people who have had good and bad experiences with the same products..

I would recommend coming up with a specific list of upgrade parts, then asking for feedback on that.

Generally I have found ssd and vanquish parts to be good.

I also like xtraspeed, they are not the same league for quality, but they are cheap, and sometimes that's more important

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As was said earlier, SSD and Vanquish are top-notch quality, and SSD is usually priced at a easier to swallow level...

Avoid Integy!

Boom Racing makes some decent parts, and Hot Racing does as well - Hot Racing transmission parts are actually VERY good.

1.9" can often look more scale, but going 2.2" usually results in a taller tire overall, which gives better ground clearance for your differential housings.

Getting good quality foams for your tires will help with handing, especially during side-hilling.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think Integy is OK, especially their motors
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I was more talking specific part rather than brand, but this is good info too.

Really, was wondering more about which parts are best to keep plastic (like links, shocks, etc) as opposed to changing to aluminum. I just remember in my old Slash 4x4 days that there were parts that looked cooler in aluminum but caused more problems than leaving stock.

I'll probably just build with what's on hand and just replace things as needed.
maxinflixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

look for Vanquish or SSD links. They make very nice Ti and stainless Steel links.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
RCC Addict

How much you want a certain look can force what compromise you'll put with, for exmaple
Metal axle housing add weight low but don't always slide as nice as stock plastic (granted plastic can be made heavier with tubes)

Alloy chassis/trans skids are about the most pointless thing out there, they almost all have fancy milling on the underside that does nothing but add hang up points, stock plastic works better & doesn't fail often enough to justify the strength of alloy.

Any alloy link that has the pressed in ball ends I avoid, that includes alloy rod ends, they almost always work lose quite quickly & it's difficult to do much to fix them.
A stainless or Ti link with Revo ends trumps them by miles though my new go to is swapping in with Samix or Axial steel pivot balls, the balls are the right width for the link pockets, Traxxas balls are smidge narrow & slop side to side without shim/washer to tighten.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I say stay away from cheap front cvd axle shafts use axial or vanquish and most aluminum rod ends personaly i only run aluminum rod ends but they are.such a pain to get to work right that i would.recomend plastic rod ends just for ease of use and stay away from cheap driveshafts stock wb8 wild boars are great shafts they were out of stock when mine broke so i went with the mip shafts there worth every penny basicly the cheap cvd style joint sucks so if your using anything with a cvd style joint make sure its the highest quality you can get there are alot of u joint style shafts out there ive only ran the axial unis and they are realy strong
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

Wraith rebuild: Aftermarket parts to avoid? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aftermarket parts thead Redcat Crawlers 4 03-05-2018 06:41 PM