RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   SVT makes a Wraith into things that aren't a Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/604473-svt-makes-wraith-into-things-arent-wraith.html)

2mtech 12-31-2018 10:01 AM

Re: SVT makes a Wraith into things that aren't a Wraith

This one looks collectively dang near genius without specifically focusing on any one point of geniusness "thumbsup"

Great paint choice, even if rattle constrained color.

No help at all from me as to what to call it tho...

JatoTheRipper 03-12-2019 01:59 PM

I guess I did see this before since I commented on the first page! :ror:

When your memory is as bad as mine every day is a new adventure. :roll:

It's still a sweet rig! "thumbsup"

svt923 03-12-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5917738)
I guess I did see this before since I commented on the first page! :ror:

When your memory is as bad as mine every day is a new adventure. :roll:

It's still a sweet rig! "thumbsup"

It’s ok.

If this wasn’t sitting on my shelf staring at me, I would forget about it too.

Shinchu 03-12-2019 08:11 PM

I need something bitchin like this in my life when I finish the 79 ferd build.

Nice work on the wraith! Monster truck is awesome too!
Really fun stuff here.

"Like"

Ninomaniac 03-13-2019 02:41 AM

Poetry!

svt923 03-13-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5917889)
I need something bitchin like this in my life when I finish the 79 ferd build.

Nice work on the wraith! Monster truck is awesome too!
Really fun stuff here.

"Like"

I like your like but will further the conversation by adding that by building these trucks, there are now less parts laying around my house thus making it cleaner. So by cleaning the house, there could be no possible objections to more trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninomaniac (Post 5917948)
Poetry!

If you insist.

A haiku by SVT

Wraith! You are a truck,
Built from vast piles of crap,
I will drive one day.

Thank you.

Jim85IROC 03-13-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5917963)
If you insist.

A haiku by SVT

Wraith! You are a truck,
Built from vast piles of crap,
I will drive one day.

Thank you.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

JatoTheRipper 03-13-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5917877)
It’s ok.

If this wasn’t sitting on my shelf staring at me, I would forget about it too.

:lmao:

At least you didn't lose it like I lost my Wraith. It's been MIA for months now. :shock:

Shinchu 03-13-2019 12:50 PM

never had a wraith. had a yeti once. that sumbitch still owes me fifty bucks.

poetry? nah... THIS is poetry...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xiztNZ3KdvA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

svt923 03-14-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5918148)
poetry? nah... THIS is poetry...

Woah, look at Walt Whitman over here.

Sorry my original poetry written specifically for this build thread isn't transcendentalist enough for you.

I haven't seen any critically acclaimed prose in that 79 Ford build thread of your's, Mr. Leaves of Grass. :lmao:

DukeMinnix 03-14-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5918423)
Woah, look at Walt Whitman over here.

Sorry my original poetry written specifically for this build thread isn't transcendentalist enough for you.

I haven't seen any critically acclaimed prose in that 79 Ford build thread of your's, Mr. Leaves of Grass. :lmao:

super like?

Shinchu 03-14-2019 08:10 AM

there's no poetry in my thread because you haven't posted any! :mrgreen:

svt923 03-14-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5918431)
super like?

Super noted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5918437)

there's no poetry in my thread because you haven't posted any! :mrgreen:

Done.

You're welcome

CM9000 03-14-2019 08:52 PM

This most amusing I see thread today yes.

best write up of the year goes to... svt923.

svt923 03-18-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM9000 (Post 5918742)
This most amusing I see thread today yes.

best write up of the year goes to... svt923.

Sweet, do I need to PM my address to Badger to get my trophy?

As the newly crowned thread of the year champ, this seems like an appropriate time to do a victory lap.

You know because laps involve driving and there has been a distinct lack of that up until this point. It's amusing, trust me.

A lot of my trucks end up with de facto shelf queen status because I just don't have that much time to drive. If building shelf queens was actually the goal, imagine how much I could save by not installing electronics. Think of how many more trucks I could sorta build!

With that said, I got a call last week offering free run of a private 1:1 off-road park under the guise of testing a technically unreleased new truck. How could any of us say no to that kind of offer. Schedules were cleared and driving was most certainly going to happen.

The car was loaded, the weather was about 60 and sunny; there was no way it wasn't going to be a good day from here.

https://i.imgur.com/VpSqqxvl.jpg

This was unofficially dubbed "The Day of Wraiths" since we had a brand spankin' new 1.9 Wraith on loan from our way too trusting LHS, a stock Spawn RTR, a "the only thing stock is the cage" type 2.2 Wraith, and my 1.9 WromberX-10. Also a Redcat Gen 8 to test the depth of mud puddles.

There was dirt, mud (both the brown water and wet cement type), and rocks: all on well maintained trail system that cleared of brush and leaves, and devoid of anyone else. It was glorious and all those elements were thrown at my previously undirtied truck.

https://i.imgur.com/jwKWhgkl.jpg

Since it is front and center, I would like to note the cobbled together CMS setup works perfectly but the JXBros 12V servo definitely does not have the power of the Holmes servo. Who would have thunk when you blatantly copy something but use cheaper components, the end result isn't as good as the original?

One thing that was very noticeable while climbing was the torque twist. The back end is super compliant with the terrain but the rear springs have no problem supporting the weight of the truck. This one is a prime candidate for a swaybar.

https://i.imgur.com/w3YCOJIl.jpg

Also note the Vanquish tires packed with dirt, while they didn't always clear out quickly, they didn't lose traction either. I believe these will be very good after some more run time.

https://i.imgur.com/lhgDPV0l.jpg

The position of the electronics under the hood combined with the inner fenders allowed this to venture through water about half way up the doors without even getting anything electronic wet. I drove for about 2 hours then a full throttle blast through a rather small puddle splashed water just right where it got in the space for the extra channel plugs on the receiver. This lead to some reception problems where the receiver would go into signal loss failsafe when it got more than 5 feet from me. Once it dried out, all was back to normal and crisis was averted.

https://i.imgur.com/lZP19S5l.jpg

We did the normal thing of testing the typical performance traits of all forms of Wraiths back to back on all the same lines. There were things that the 1.9 versions did better, there were things the 2.2 versions did better, blah, blah. Then we got to the good stuff!

https://i.imgflip.com/2wbnxu.gif

Did we go all out KOH style, WFO rock bouncing drag races? Yes, dear reader, that is exactly what happened. And not just one time for enough footage to make a GIF, we spend over an hour just lining up the trucks and blasting full throttle down this rock covered hill in different combinations. My 1.9 vs. the new factory 1.9, the factory 1.9 vs. the 2.2 Spawn, modded 1.9 vs. modded 2.2, etc. This was about the most fun you can have with a solid axle truck, so much so that rock bouncing drag races are almost a certainty at upcoming events here. By the way, that new 1.9 Wraith came out completely unharmed, plastic links and all.

In the end, my haphazardly thrown together pile of parts performs way better than it probably should. I'm happy and things should get even better with the addition of a swaybar. Oh, it needs more power too. I become less and less understanding of people who say 35T brushed motors on 3S is all the wheel speed they ever need. Feel free to argue with me on that point because we are re-entering the world of furthering conversations on RCC.

Hold tight for the full video, it is just a jumble of fantastic chaos.

JSterrett 03-18-2019 10:10 AM

I'd throw you a "like", but you'll have to accept a superficial bump to your thread's post count instead... [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

svt923 03-18-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5919759)
I'd throw you a "like", but you'll have to accept a superficial bump to your thread's post count instead... [emoji41]

But by not using the like button, you get a personal acknowledgement of gratitude from me thus making you feel appreciated as a reader.

"thumbsup"

DukeMinnix 03-18-2019 01:20 PM

so I find myself at the crossroads. I have a wraith chassis, a bronco body. I had intended on building a 1.9 wraith with ar44s and CMS. I have all the parts except the axles and links in front of me. Or I can scrap it all and buy one ready to go. In your honest, yet oh so humble estimation, was the RTR 1.9 near as capable as your 1.9? I'm debating continuing this prolonged build idea of mine that may never see the light of day vs scrapping it all and buying something ready to go.

svt923 03-18-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5919838)
so I find myself at the crossroads. I have a wraith chassis, a bronco body. I had intended on building a 1.9 wraith with ar44s and CMS. I have all the parts except the axles and links in front of me. Or I can scrap it all and buy one ready to go. In your honest, yet oh so humble estimation, was the RTR 1.9 near as capable as your 1.9? I'm debating continuing this prolonged build idea of mine that may never see the light of day vs scrapping it all and buying something ready to go.

As much as I would love to say "building it yourself totally makes a better truck!", there really wasn't the huge difference in performance. What it mostly came down to was my version has better tires and the trade-offs that come with about a pound more weight. Obviously my truck will ultimately be more durable and not develop slop as quickly but way more work went into it.

If you already have a cage and a body that you want to run, you could pick up a SCXII Raw Builders Kit and the new lower rail and radio box parts trees (parts # AXI231001 and AXI231002) and be essentially 99% to having a factory 1.9 Wraith kit for about $230 in addition to what you have on hand.

CM9000 03-18-2019 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5919711)
Sweet, do I need to PM my address to Badger to get my trophy?...

"snip"

.....Oh, it needs more power too. I become less and less understanding of people who say 35T brushed motors on 3S is all the wheel speed they ever need. Feel free to argue with me on that point because we are re-entering the world of furthering conversations on RCC.

Hold tight for the full video, it is just a jumble of fantastic chaos.

Will a novice boot suffice? Its been long overdue.

13.5 sensored 3s lipo is what I like. 35t brushed is like.. 2010?

Good write up, the caricature released in this thread amuses me. seriously. lol.