Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: SSD Wheels and Rear Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SSD Wheels and Rear Axle

I really like the DHole wheels in black for my Wraith but just realised the outter bead lock and inner ring are plastic. Not sure if this is a problem but I’m now thinking getting vanquish wheels for the extra $20 might be a better option?

Wanted to grab the d60 centred rear pumpkin axle housing (and matching front diff cover) but have a couple of questions:

It can take a larger pinion input bearing but doesn’t stipulate the size - I’ve looked for specs and came up empty handed?

Is there anything else you need to consider when putting in this axle? Some say you have to flip the front axle and change the direction of rotation?

I’m running sensored brushless if that matters?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SSD Wheels and Rear Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I really like the DHole wheels in black for my Wraith but just realised the outter bead lock and inner ring are plastic. Not sure if this is a problem but I’m now thinking getting vanquish wheels for the extra $20 might be a better option?

Wanted to grab the d60 centred rear pumpkin axle housing (and matching front diff cover) but have a couple of questions:

It can take a larger pinion input bearing but doesn’t stipulate the size - I’ve looked for specs and came up empty handed?

Is there anything else you need to consider when putting in this axle? Some say you have to flip the front axle and change the direction of rotation?

I’m running sensored brushless if that matters?

Any help would be appreciated.
Are you sure because mine look to be aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I don't know if this will help you out or not but I have the 1.9 version of these and they are really nice, all aluminum, stainless hardware, go together nice, just a thought. I do believe these come in black also.

https://www.amazon.com/RC-Hub-Beadlo...k+wheels&psc=1
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids crawlin View Post
Are you sure because mine look to be aluminum.

Yep, aluminum

From the product page:
Features:
Standard 1.9" wheel size
Standard 12mm hex mount
Internal beadlock system
Removable hub
Stamped steel wheel with zinc plated finish
CNC machined aluminum hub and rings
Specially made scale steel hex head bolts with yellow zinc plating

Bearing size for the D60 axle was also on the product page

2 * 5 x 13 x 4mm bearings

The Yeti needs the front diff flipped with this axle, I'm guessing you dont need to do anything for the Wraith.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-19-2018 at 02:56 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

When we made the 2.2 D holes I decided to use delrin for the inner and front rings to save weight and prevent scratches on the front. The inner ring also locks into the wheel so it can't spin. All SSD 2.2 wheels use this system. It's not something to worry about, they are very durable and reliable.

And BTW the price difference is more than $20 when you take into account the hubs. It's more like $58 difference. All SSD wheels come with aluminum hubs.

Last edited by SSD; 11-19-2018 at 03:15 PM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yep, aluminum

From the product page:
Features:
Standard 1.9" wheel size
Standard 12mm hex mount
Internal beadlock system
Removable hub
Stamped steel wheel with zinc plated finish
CNC machined aluminum hub and rings
Specially made scale steel hex head bolts with yellow zinc plating

Bearing size for the D60 axle was also on the product page

The Yeti needs the front diff flipped with this axle, I'm guessing you dont need to do anything for the Wraith.
Not to be rude, but i know how to use google and already looked at Amain, SSD and RPP and then searched the forum. That’s the first thing I do prior to annoying the good members of this forum. I’m also actually going 2.2 inch as per standard wraith spec. And as per the ssd site the ring and inner are delrin ... also confirmed below by SSD.

Secondly those bearing specs you provided come with the axle and are for the drive shafts! Not the Pinion Input Bearing, which was the original question.

So if anyone knows the spec of the pinion input bearing that would be grand. I just want to order everything so I am not missing pieces when I sit down to assemble.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
When we made the 2.2 D holes I decided to use delrin for the inner and front rings to save weight and prevent scratches on the front. The inner ring also locks into the wheel so it can't spin. All SSD 2.2 wheels use this system. It's not something to worry about, they are very durable and reliable.

And BTW the price difference is more than $20 when you take into account the hubs. It's more like $58 difference. All SSD wheels come with aluminum hubs.
Thanks, your delrin comment makes sense and I appreciate your wheels come with hubs, but I already have SLW hubs on hand. For me the black D-holes look fantastic and are my first choice, it was just the delrin that put me off a little.

I really need to know about the input bearing for the d60 axle. Your description says it “can take a larger bearing” which I am assuming is the outter diameter? Do you know what bearing I need to order for the wraith assuming the one from the standard axles don’t fit in the D60?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My bad, reading comprehension
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks, your delrin comment makes sense and I appreciate your wheels come with hubs, but I already have SLW hubs on hand. For me the black D-holes look fantastic and are my first choice, it was just the delrin that put me off a little.

I really need to know about the input bearing for the d60 axle. Your description says it “can take a larger bearing” which I am assuming is the outter diameter? Do you know what bearing I need to order for the wraith assuming the one from the standard axles don’t fit in the D60?
If you are looking for someone to make a set of metal beadlocks for your ssd wheels contact JEC Racing. He can make a set of rock rings to match the bolt pattern.

4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
My bad, reading comprehension
No problem bro
Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 AM   #11
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Secondly those bearing specs you provided come with the axle and are for the drive shafts! Not the Pinion Input Bearing, which was the original question.

So if anyone knows the spec of the pinion input bearing that would be grand. I just want to order everything so I am not missing pieces when I sit down to assemble.

The specs you were given is correct, that is why I didn't repeat it.

The pinion bearing in our HD D60 and Diamond axles is 13mm and they are included in the product:

Usually when we include bearings or screws in a product it is because they are different to the stock part being replaced.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks. I got confirmation after reading the instruction PDF - had assumed they were drive shaft bearings.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

As far as the Derlin rings, if you're dead set on aluminum instead, I have found that many aluminum rings are interchangeable between wheel sets. So, if you have a set laying around there's a good chance you could use them on the SSD D-Hole wheels that you like.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:26 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks bud. Ended up with Vanquish KMC machetes instead. Its a principle thing if you spend that on RC wheels. Delrin inner ring and beadlock is too much plastic for my liking. $10 more per pair for Vanquish all day.

Last edited by Mendoza; 12-22-2018 at 04:45 AM.

SSD Wheels and Rear Axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rear Axle Hunter711 Axial Yeti 152 09-09-2019 12:56 PM
New SSD Brass Rear Axle Weights SSD Vaterra Ascender 10 02-03-2018 06:15 AM
SMT10 rear axle SSD? Please Help!! Tommy23490 Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-28-2017 05:18 PM
Ssd rear axle question Shorty123 Axial Yeti 12 03-09-2017 08:51 PM
New SSD Rear Axle Shafts for D60 Wide Axle (XR) SSD Axial SCX-10 0 05-17-2016 10:51 AM