RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   3 link question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/604634-3-link-question.html)

solo1 12-15-2018 10:20 PM

3 link question

Hi all just bought a new wraith to experiment with. I notice it had a fair amount of torque twist and also see there is a 3 link kit for it and am wondering if this helps with the twist or is it mostly for the look? Thanks

altd896 12-16-2018 11:17 PM

Re: 3 link question

3 link won't fix torque twist, but nor is torque twist the end of the world that most of Facebook RC seems to think it is.
A rear sway bar will control some of that twist but then it won't flex 900degrees either.
Putting 38/13 HD (STD) gears in the front & 43/13 HD (UD) in the rear will help in controlling the twist when climbing.

Ditchrat 12-17-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altd896 (Post 5892546)
3 link won't fix torque twist, but nor is torque twist the end of the world that most of Facebook RC seems to think it is.
A rear sway bar will control some of that twist but then it won't flex 900degrees either.
Putting 38/13 HD (STD) gears in the front & 43/13 HD (UD) in the rear will help in controlling the twist when climbing.

How much gearing do you actually need to help with TT. Several friends who run brushless have serious issues keeping the underdrive gears alive and have resorted to running OD front and standard rear.

I will be building one soon and I am trying to figure out some parts lists.

svt923 12-17-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5892725)
How much gearing do you actually need to help with TT. Several friends who run brushless have serious issues keeping the underdrive gears alive and have resorted to running OD front and standard rear.

I will be building one soon and I am trying to figure out some parts lists.

That's strange because the UD gears are supposed to have the best mesh and be the strongest of the Axial gear sets. Someone did a pretty detailed thread on this topic back in the day.

Browneye 12-17-2018 02:44 PM

Bomber here...similar...the sway bar did wonders. [shrug]
Without it the right front would lift off the ground on acceleration or on a hill.

solo1 12-17-2018 03:17 PM

Read about ud gears being better too have a set on the way for it. Sway bar won’t help as I’m going for more of a crawler. Guess I’ll have to play with shocks and springs but I think and hope it will be more shock or it going to be sitting funny when still. Lol. Thanks for the reply’s guys!!

Browneye 12-17-2018 04:14 PM

You'll want a swaybar...just sayin'. :ror:

altd896 12-19-2018 08:33 AM

Trying to fix twist with spring rate & shock oil only makes it handle weird the rest of the time as you have that one heavy shock on one rear corner.
To properly fix it you need to change link geometry & introduce some preload in the rear upper link on the opp side to the front that lifts, but thats hard to do as the skid doesn't offer the adjustability needed.

Ignoring the twist under hard acceleration cos how often is anyone actually doing that (don't know anyone drag racing a Wraith)...........you can eliminate the twist climbing by installing a dig trans, it won't lift the front if it's not driving from the rear