Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith 1.9?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith 1.9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

The connector is the same as an EC3 but with the added IQ plugs for the new Spektrum system.
I'm old school, went back to deans lol
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The Wraith cage/body is much more scale than a Deadbolt or other lexan body. It's an actual construction style that is representative of a real vehicle. Tube chassis construction with panels that bolt on vs a thin shell with no structure.

The connector is the same as an EC3 but with the added IQ plugs for the new Spektrum system.

Thank you for the info.
rcreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post

Yes this move may make sense in their new ecosystem but not for the user base
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
If you were really old school, you'd go back to the Tamiya plugs.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreview View Post
Ok I got mine and I took it out once! A couple weeks ago, I put out an optimistic overview, happy to see something finally 'new' from Axial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vlmgs4ZGqg

Right now, my 1.9 Wraith and I are not getting along. I'll spend some time this afternoon running it on my two test courses. Some comments

- so happy to see something new from Axial with the new ownership
- $369 is a lot for what they're offering, especially with what's available out there today.
- Are they just capitalizing on the Wraith brand/legacy? It's more Honcho SCX10.2 hybrid.
- my radio has a range of about 5 feet.
- the steering wheel on the transmitter is huge and enhanced with plastic ridges
- All 4 tires wobble like hula hoops
- steering angle is no good
- dogbones, plastic links and plastic shocks
- highlight seems to be the receiver box and the opening hood
- have to use a full size battery???
- what/why this new connector
- slower than slow for what looks like a powerful macheeen
- performs like a Deadbolt II. With no scale body/bumper/overhang, I would hope it can do more. I'll test today

Comments? I hope it is not taboo to discuss performance or anything pro/con about the vehicle. I'm loving my SCX10 II Chevy Blazer right now. And I'm trying to buy/try anything that looks compelling and innovative. I should learn more today but help steer me in the right direction.

fc @RC Review
I'm not surprised by your summary. It seems more of the same old Axial.

They added EC3-type connectors to make things even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
If you were really old school, you'd go back to the Tamiya plugs.

I'll take a Molex (Tamiya) connector over EC3 any day of the week.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
I also wanted to show everyone where my frame broke just behind the front bumper.
The single bar supporting the bumper is incredibly lame. Even if it doesn't break, there is way too much flex in the bumper mounting.

I made up these braces to tie the bumper mounts into another part of the frame. These took out like 95% of the flex in the bumper.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The single bar supporting the bumper is incredibly lame. Even if it doesn't break, there is way too much flex in the bumper mounting.

I made up these braces to tie the bumper mounts into another part of the frame. These took out like 95% of the flex in the bumper.

Looks good, Harley has a mount that also holds the turbos and I'm betting many others will have a solution out in the future but till then how much..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #88

Kind of a big oversight. This stuff is just inexcusable at this point in the game.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #89
Suck it up!

Quote:

Nice. That is exactly what I was going to do.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

well my cage broke again,i guess epoxy wasnt the answer. i just made a lexan "tube" to fit over the stock portion of the cage where it breaks. looks ghetto but its worth a shot. next new chassis rails and maybe harleys 3d printed fix.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
well my cage broke again,i guess epoxy wasnt the answer. i just made a lexan "tube" to fit over the stock portion of the cage where it breaks. looks ghetto but its worth a shot. next new chassis rails and maybe harleys 3d printed fix.
Have you made a warranty claim with Axial yet?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Have you made a warranty claim with Axial yet?
i havent
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Drill a small hole down the center of the "tube" on each side of the break, insert a metal rod of the same diameter, then glue that biotch together. All a warranty claim is gonna get you is another of the same part that's gonna be a hassle to change, then it'll break in the same spot again anyway.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #94

Quote:

Crazy and disappointing
Old 04-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
All a warranty claim is gonna get you is another of the same part that's gonna be a hassle to change, then it'll break in the same spot again anyway.
Personally, I'd rather beef up a non-broken part. Also, Axial needs to know every time one of these breaks. If nobody files a claim they will think the design is fine.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Drill a small hole down the center of the "tube" on each side of the break, insert a metal rod of the same diameter, then glue that biotch together.
Except it breaks at a screw hole.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I'll take a Molex (Tamiya) connector over EC3 any day of the week.
I guess I don't understand all of the hate for the EC3. XT60 is my connector of choice, but to be honest, if I wasn't already invested in XT60, I would give the EC3 strong consideration. The connections are robust but easy to plug & unplug, which is what lead me to the XT60 over Deans and some of the other connectors that need the strength of a gorilla with the finger sizes of a 5 year old to unplug. Molex connectors are great if you're only moving a couple amps of current and aren't something that you're going to plug and unplug repeatedly, but are really of no use on modern RCs.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #98

Quote:
Jesus! Maybe this cage is more shit than I expected. If that's the case I won't be building one.

Are you crawling with it or bashing?

Quote:
i havent
You should! At least to let Axial know the cage is weak and has issues.

Quote:
Except it breaks at a screw hole.
Design flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I guess I don't understand all of the hate for the EC3. XT60 is my connector of choice, but to be honest, if I wasn't already invested in XT60, I would give the EC3 strong consideration. The connections are robust but easy to plug & unplug, which is what lead me to the XT60 over Deans and some of the other connectors that need the strength of a gorilla with the finger sizes of a 5 year old to unplug. Molex connectors are great if you're only moving a couple amps of current and aren't something that you're going to plug and unplug repeatedly, but are really of no use on modern RCs.
I think XT60s are easier to unplug than EC3s. My main complaint about EC3s is that they were a bitch to plug in and even worse trying to get them apart.

Molex does have very limited capacity, but I can't see them every being an issue on a scaler. That was a tongue in cheek, sarcastic comment though.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Jesus! Maybe this cage is more shit than I expected. If that's the case I won't be building one.
Axial didn't have this problem with their older, flexible plastics. Just sayin'...

Quote:
I think XT60s are easier to unplug than EC3s. My main complaint about EC3s is that they were a bitch to plug in and even worse trying to get them apart.

Molex does have very limited capacity, but I can't see them every being an issue on a scaler. That was a tongue in cheek, sarcastic comment though.
Maybe EC3s have changed. All of my newer vehicles with EC3s plug and unplug just as easily as my XT60s. I'm actually satisfied enough with the EC3 in my Hammerjaw that I didn't bother to swap it. I'm just using an XT60 to EC3 adapter.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Axial didn't have this problem with their older, flexible plastics. Just sayin'...

Maybe EC3s have changed. All of my newer vehicles with EC3s plug and unplug just as easily as my XT60s. I'm actually satisfied enough with the EC3 in my Hammerjaw that I didn't bother to swap it. I'm just using an XT60 to EC3 adapter.
Flexible plastics are great in some areas, but suck in others. You can't, and shouldn't use flexible plastic throughout an entire RC and expect everything to be good. Shit like that is either bad engineering or, more likely, an exercise in cost savings.

There are companies that seem to have good plastic compounds so they can use it throughout an entire RC and still have a quality vehicle at the end. I don't think Axial is there, but I think Horizon can push them in that direction, especially with new platforms. I'm not sure what happened with the Wraith 1.9. Either it's an Axial leftover and Horizon released it as-is or Horizon didn't give it the quality of most of their other vehicles.

Maybe. I tried EC3 plugs over 5 years ago now.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.