Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Fricker08’s Wraith(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08’s Wraith(s)

Hey what’s going on guys, been into Rc’s for quite some time now. Raced everything from nitro stadium trucks to 1/5th scales and all in between. Decided to pick up a crawler and do some hiking and driving up here in the PNW.

Anyways I would have liked to pick up a kit but seeing as it’s discontinued I opted for the spawn. I did a lot of reading on here and research before buying so I knew a couple things needed to happen right off the bat.

Unfortunately after my first test drive about 15-20 min the stock motor was toast.. contacted axial with no real resolution so I replaced it with an Rc4wd 35T because that’s what the LHS had in stock. I haven’t had a chance to go test it yet though.

I started with an aluminum steering servo Horn and looking into a battery relocation. I’m running an EcoPower 2s 5000mah pack. Unfortunately the newest spawn version with the waterproof receiver box isn’t so easy to relocate. I ended up cutting the receiver box mount for clearance and drilled a couple holes in the battery tray and secured with zip ties.
Next I used the SMT receiver box mount to relocate the receiver to the rear where the battery sat. It required the use of a servo extension for steering and will require another for the esc when I relocate it up front. I like the look of the box up high in the back, kind of like a tool or cargo box. The modification require was minimal only having to drill 2 holes and using some screws from the chassis brace removed in the battery shuffle.
Next I did the axial setup on the shocks, 3 hole pistons black springs and 30wt oil. I haven’t had a chance to test it but I have a feeling I will go stiffer on the springs.
Anyways that’s a wrap for now, I’ve included some pics of the mods hope this helps someone out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 06-23-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My take on a wraith spawn

Looks nice. I just picked up a Spawn a few days ago, though I did own a Wraith Poison Spyder a few years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with the platform. I'll take a closer look at your pictures again to see whether I should consider relocating my electronics similarly. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the 35T motor.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thank you,
I will see if I can get some better detailed pics of what I did, and I will report back how the motor does when I get out to test it.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Looks nice. I just picked up a Spawn a few days ago, though I did own a Wraith Poison Spyder a few years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with the platform. I'll take a closer look at your pictures again to see whether I should consider relocating my electronics similarly. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the 35T motor.
So I took the wraith out this morning for about an hour on a little trail session. I’m running stock gearing 12-56 with a 35T rc4wd motor. It definitely doesn’t have the speed of the stock motor which I’m good with. But it ran good doing some slow speed crawling mixed with high speed and tire spinning stuff. I don’t have a temp gun but I felt the motor multiple times and it felt fine to me.

As for the suspension I’m pretty happy with it as well. I think I’ll run the light springs for a while and see how it goes.
When I got home my vanquish steering links showed up so I did some little changes and I’ll give her another run tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Wanted to update on the status of the burned up stock 20T motor. I reached out to horizon and the shipped me a new one so hats off to them!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Wanted to update on the status of the burned up stock 20T motor. I reached out to horizon and the shipped me a new one so hats off to them!
That’s great. I have always found Horizon has top-notch tech support.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Haven’t posted in a while, haven’t really had a chance to drive it with the weather. But I got the vanquish steering links setup as well as swapping out the stock shocks for some 110mm eBay dual rates with functional bypasses. Took it to high rocks up here in Gladstone and had a pretty good time. Surprisingly happy with the eBay shocks after a little setup
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well I guess one wasn’t enough.. came across an early wraith for not a terrible price. Unfortunately the motor was shot same with the batteries but a rc4wd 35t motor and some juice she’s alive.
Came with a set of rc4wd king shocks that need some love so I put the stock spawn shocks on it, ordered some body panels and have some vanquish steering links on the way.
When I get some free time I’m going to go through the car completely new bearings and make sure the mechanicals are good then I’ll start the mod process
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fricker08’s Wraith(s)

Well my original wraith spawn and the other are long gone.
Didn’t know where else to post this so here we are. Ended up making a mistake on a deadbolt bronco body so instead of trashing it I did some horse trading for a wraith. Trimmed the hell out of the body scabbed the dash and seats in the chassis and painted it cobalt green per the Gf’s request. Thought I’d run it in 2.2 form but when you’re bored and have a Capra laying around you get creative. I need to trim the front links to bring the wheel base in, but all in all I’m happy with it. Capra axles, transmission and suspension. Wraith links HW1080 trailmaster 35t savox 1210sg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
RCC Addict

That looks pretty sweet man, nice job
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

It’s a hobby, so why not? Looks like a Wraith. It’s the Capra skid on there yeah?

Looks good, like the Cobalt green. I have the Bronco body on my Wraith as well
Old 12-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, it’s the wraith skid, I’m just running 3/4 holes. Lined one up with the stock trans and drilled 2 more. I’ll be working on shortening the front links up today and figuring out a different chassis brace to clear the servo

Old 12-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good with those Capra axles under there. Love the color!
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Looks really cool. Going to say something nitpicky though lol...would look even really cooler if the very front of the fender (up by the grill, bottom edge of the wheel arch) was radiused instead of a hard edge. May not look as "Bronco" ish but would flow better imo. Just a little massage with the dremel/grinding barrel

Digging the color too
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Hey thanks for pointing that out phildirt, I didn’t even realize how hard of an edge that was, I’ll be giving it a trim. I haven’t messed with the links yet, I’ve got a set of 2.2’s coming and I’ll likely throw the ar60’a back under it.
I took it out today though, and for being a limo it performed surprisingly well. Here’s some pics

Old 12-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

sweet pics. cobalt green takes you to the tropics
Old 12-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Well here it is, back on ar60’s and with a hobbywing 540 axe 2300kv setup. I have some 2.2’s coming but I like the look and size of the 1.9’s with the flat iron xl’s. Got some softer springs coming and some chassis parts. Even though this is the standard wraith wheel base I still might shorten the front up slightly.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I think if you shorten the front some, maybe little bit narrower hubs on the wheels, and it'll look perfect with those 1.9s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
I think if you shorten the front some, maybe little bit narrower hubs on the wheels, and it'll look perfect with those 1.9s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking, I’ve got some lockeduprc .185 hubs in my cart and I’ve got slim wheel hexes. That would bring it in a little bit. Then just need to drill/tap and shorten up the front links about 1/4”

Fricker08’s Wraith(s) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith run #028 - Wraith Spawn with Little Joe JoeConti Videos! 0 02-01-2015 11:55 AM
Wraith posion spyder or wraith spawn Mikael Axial Wraith 12 11-25-2014 01:00 PM