Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Aluminum motor plate deflecting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #1

Default Aluminum motor plate deflecting

Noticed the other day when loading up the drive line i had a funny sound. turns out it's my aluminum motor plate deflecting and creating a lot of backlash and funny gear contact. you see things like ultimate motor plate and HD motor plate but all of them are still the same thickness alum. I'm going to try stacking two and see if hat stops things.

45t 7/64 2s going to 3s.
mach2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Aluminum motor plate deflecting

Sounds much more like the 3 screws that hold the motor plate are loose, never seen a stock thickness motor plate flex that far the spur/pinion mesh goes out.

Thats one hell of gear reduction though 7/64....on that are you certain 7t? I can't find smaller than 9t in 32p (based on the 64t spur)
I've never yet wanted lower than 10/56 on 3s
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

^^ Agreed, I've used a bunch of those transmissions, and never had a motor plate deflection. I've had them bend on a hard impact once, but never flex under load. Something's going on there... the screws that hold the plate on are just threaded into the plate itself, might need a bit of threadlock.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Super Shafty motor plate is legitimately way more solid than a stock Axial motor plate. The plate is not made out of much thicker aluminum but the 4 point mounting and not having the mounting screws held on by 2-3 threads in the plate makes for much more solid setup.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Yup 7/64 and i love it for most everything. The bolts are solid and it's through bolted so it's not the threads pulling out of the plastic. I did try and take a video but it's hard to see the definition of the plat and not the plastic skid moving. I would try the super shaft but i can get a stock one for $10 and two should stop this. Just really wanted to see what people had to say because i didn't find anything searching for it. thanks everyone
Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Suck it up!

I've put tons more power through a stock plate than what you're running, and never had an issue. Not saying it can't or hasn't happened, but it's pretty rare. You sure that it's the plate and the the spur gear or top shaft flexing?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've put tons more power through a stock plate than what you're running, and never had an issue. Not saying it can't or hasn't happened, but it's pretty rare. You sure that it's the plate and the the spur gear or top shaft flexing?

Ditto this ^
I've got stock plates with 3s 3500kv 550 brushless & they don't flex enough to wreck the gear mesh, I'm afraid I'm still not buying it's motor plate movement.

I've read a few people say 9t have a funky gear mesh & chew spurs so my bet is still on that 7t being even worse.

Hoping twin plates fixes it for you.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have had issues with the new grey trans with motor plate integrated. I replace them with the stock 3 gear trans and plate setups and have no issues
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i ran a 1/8 th scale novak hd8 motor the same set up on my yeti xl stupid power and it never flexed the motor plate the axle housings on the other hand flexed real bad i couldent keep gears in the plastic housings

the only way i could see the motor plate flexing would be a ruff spot in the gears pushing them apart or a bent shaft thats not normal

Last edited by ferp420; 05-02-2019 at 07:48 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

I mean it's not causing damage to anything at this point. Its just something i can see and hear when i really bind it up. I will agree the 7t is not as perfect mesh as the taller gears. the spur and input shaft are solid. I can flex the plate by hand it's not easy to move but i can add a lot of backlash to it. It could be no problem at all given the scale just know if this was 1:1 it would be cause for concern. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Super Shafty motor plate is legitimately way more solid than a stock Axial motor plate. The plate is not made out of much thicker aluminum but the 4 point mounting and not having the mounting screws held on by 2-3 threads in the plate makes for much more solid setup.

Totally Agree.

I run a PullerPro 3500 on 3s with mine, and had many issues, I suspected the plate was causing this. I also went to the SS for the 4 point mount. My Wraith is a heavy pig so it all need's strength
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I wonder if it might help to adjusting your mesh to be a bit tighter so when it flex's its not too loose.

This does sound like an odd problem but maybe your motor plate has fatigued and become weak.

As for all other plates being the same thickness, I wouldn't focus on that and instead look for one made of a good grade of aluminum as there is cheap stuff that's not so strong and theres high grade and strong aluminum.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

Ya i could make it more snug but it's loud without backlash. I know lots of people run more power than i do now but you do need to keep in mind it's heavy and the really low gearing means i can really load it up before a stall. in fact i don't stall it very often because it pulls out or i back off because i can see it tweaking. 9.14:1

Aluminum motor plate deflecting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum motor plate necessary? GTSLOW Traxxas TRX-4 8 03-02-2019 05:15 AM
diamond plate aluminum stanmondz Scale Accessories 6 11-30-2012 03:55 PM
Aluminum skid plate johnnyh66 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 11-16-2010 01:14 PM
aluminum plate SAS??? mike5721947 Traxxas Crawlers 10 02-01-2006 08:20 PM