Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith Spawn vs Wraith Rock Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Axial Wraith Spawn vs Wraith Rock Racer

I'm so friggin' confused here.

I am planning to buy a Wraith, but I'm torn between these two models:

Axial Racing - Wraith Spawn 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR

Axial Racing - Wraith 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR

The Wraith Rock Racer is only a little more expensive, but it appears to have a ton more features such as LED lights, dig capable transmission, skid plate, vertically mounted ESC, etc.

I like the look of the Spawn better with the full body, but it seems like the Rock Racer comes with a lot more options.

What am I missing here? I wish Axial had some sort of comparison feature, because for someone new to scale crawlers (such as myself), they really keep you guessing.
PumpinIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Wraith Spawn vs Wraith Rock Racer

Have you considered the new 1.9 Wraith?? New tech compared to the old wraiths you are looking at. And more of a scale crawler given the 1.9 wheels and tyres.

Of the 2 you are looking at though, the spawn is the slighlty newer one. Id probably lean that way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
Have you considered the new 1.9 Wraith?? New tech compared to the old wraiths you are looking at. And more of a scale crawler given the 1.9 wheels and tyres.

Of the 2 you are looking at though, the spawn is the slighlty newer one. Id probably lean that way.

See, there's something else I didn't know. I had no idea the 1.9 was the newer model.

I was purely going off looks (in which case I like the Spawn model the best), but it sounds like the 1.9 has better tech?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The 1.9 Wraith is maybe a month old. Literally released earlier this month. It runs on ar44 axles which are from the scx10 ii plus an updated cage and the smaller 1.9 wheels etc. It is much newer and, if you don't like it, but you will, it will be very easy to sell on and will have a better resale value.
It also has a range of upgrade parts available as it uses a mix of axial parts from the SCX10ii and older wraith so after market support and upgrades already exist.

byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
The 1.9 Wraith is maybe a month old. Literally released earlier this month. It runs on ar44 axles which are from the scx10 ii plus an updated cage and the smaller 1.9 wheels etc. It is much newer and, if you don't like it, but you will, it will be very easy to sell on and will have a better resale value.
It also has a range of upgrade parts available as it uses a mix of axial parts from the SCX10ii and older wraith so after market support and upgrades already exist.

Got it!

So is the 1.9 smaller than the older Wraith (I'm assuming that's what they're calling the 2.2)?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The Spawn is slightly better mechanically, having the dual disc slipper clutch, Wildboar "HD" driveshafts, and stronger 32p (lower too, 12/56 vs 20/80) gearing. The O.G. Wraith has the full depth interior and LED lights, it's also easier to hinge the hood and throw the battery up front. Both have identical cages (except the receiver box and its support), transmissions (other than the difference in clutches), and axles. The electronics were slightly different too, but they may have streamlined them since? Both had 20t 540 motors, but the O.G. had a Castle based AE-2 esc (with weak sauce bec) Axial branded Futaba weak sauce servo, and Axial branded Futaba (or was it Flysky?) based radio system. The Spawn came with a Hobbywing wp1060 esc (not really better nor worse) tactic servo (slightly stronger, but not nearly adequate for 2.2"s) and a nicer 3 channel Tactic radio. I have both, but of the 2, the Spawn is for sure the better value.

edit: the spawn also comes with SLW hub beadlocks vs O.G.'s glued on tires/wheels.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 04-24-2019 at 10:40 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

The one thing I will say is that looks wise I strongly, strongly prefer the look of the Spawn as oppose to the newer 1.9.

So it sounds like if I were to get a Spawn, I'd be upgrading the servo, ESC, and everything else anyways.

The 1.9 look just doesn't do it for me for some reason. Of course I'm not sure how much (if any) the 1.9 is in terms of performance over the Spawn and the older Wraiths.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

If we're honest... any Wraith is going to require a lot more than an electronic upgrade to get to a point that most would be content with it. The links are made out of some sort of partially cooked noodles, the 2.2" Wraith rtr's come with dogbone axles that don't turn for $h!+, sintered (powdered metal) diff gears, plastic diff cups, and plastic transmission gears that are all highly likely to leave you broke down trail side, or at least frustrated that you can't hold a line because the tie rod lets the front tires point in opposite directions, or the rear links let the rear axle walk towards the skid plate when climbing nasty stuff. All of this is easily overcome if you're willing to spend the money, and the Wraith has such a huge aftermarket that you can modify it to be/do pretty much anything, but you've got to be reasonable with what to expect. My O.G. Wraith is easily my most frequently used rc, but about the only original thing on it is the top half of the cage.

Any chance I could talk you into a Bomber? They really are like a better Wraith. If you can find a kit version, it'll come with aluminum links (with 4mm rod ends) hardened diff gears, universal jointed axle shafts, and none of the rtr electronics that suck anyway. If you put Twin Hammer length trailing arms on it, it makes it pretty much the same wheelbase as the Wraith too. If the aestetics don't do it for you, but the Wraith does, then by all means, go with the Wraith, otherwise I'd really try to steer you towards a Bomber if 2.2" is the route you want to go. 1.9" is a whole different discussion!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If we're honest... any Wraith is going to require a lot more than an electronic upgrade to get to a point that most would be content with it. The links are made out of some sort of partially cooked noodles, the 2.2" Wraith rtr's come with dogbone axles that don't turn for $h!+, sintered (powdered metal) diff gears, plastic diff cups, and plastic transmission gears that are all highly likely to leave you broke down trail side, or at least frustrated that you can't hold a line because the tie rod lets the front tires point in opposite directions, or the rear links let the rear axle walk towards the skid plate when climbing nasty stuff. All of this is easily overcome if you're willing to spend the money, and the Wraith has such a huge aftermarket that you can modify it to be/do pretty much anything, but you've got to be reasonable with what to expect. My O.G. Wraith is easily my most frequently used rc, but about the only original thing on it is the top half of the cage.

Any chance I could talk you into a Bomber? They really are like a better Wraith. If you can find a kit version, it'll come with aluminum links (with 4mm rod ends) hardened diff gears, universal jointed axle shafts, and none of the rtr electronics that suck anyway. If you put Twin Hammer length trailing arms on it, it makes it pretty much the same wheelbase as the Wraith too. If the aestetics don't do it for you, but the Wraith does, then by all means, go with the Wraith, otherwise I'd really try to steer you towards a Bomber if 2.2" is the route you want to go. 1.9" is a whole different discussion!
Thanks for all that info, just what I needed to know.

So it sounds like what I ought to do is build a Wraith and a Bomber. Money isn't an issue, so even with the Wraith, I can build it right (even though it will mean scrapping almost all of the stock parts, which I expected to do anyways).

The Bomber was my second choice, so I certainly won't mind having both of them to be honest.

While we're on the subject of the Wraith, what axles / axle housings are people having good luck with?

I love the look of those Currie axles that Vanquish made, but they no longer make them it appears.

Axial Wraith Spawn vs Wraith Rock Racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial wraith rock racer Edenliyah Newbie General 5 01-28-2016 11:19 AM