RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Power Issues (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/608290-power-issues.html)

CrawlerCam10 04-29-2019 08:35 AM

Power Issues

I recently installed a Savox SW-0231MG servo into my wraith after burning out the stock one, ever since its been cutting out after about 30 seconds of run time. I assume its the servo overloading the esc because that esc can't handle any power, but I am lost. If it is the esc what one should I get, I am thinking about a hobbywing 1080 as I have heard good things about them and they have an internal bec, but if there are any better options, let me know. Thank you.

Brake Weight 04-29-2019 09:17 AM

Re: Power Issues

HW1080 for the brushed win.

allanon1965 04-29-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5930952)
HW1080 for the brushed win.

this for sure!

Browneye 04-29-2019 04:40 PM

Axial rtr controller in it?
Usually they're good for about 1ah for a servo.

The 231 doesn't draw much - I have one on a hw1080 and it's fine. The hw esc puts out 3ah on the built in bec. Plus it has all the other user-setable settings for throttle and braking. Good stuff. About the best $40 you can spend on a brushed rig. "thumbsup"

You can also use a mamba micro and I think put out more amps, but I'm not that familiar with them. HW FTW - I have four of them. ;-)

mach2nh 04-30-2019 06:03 AM

run a dedicated BEC for the servo. ESC's are better now and some have a better built in bec but most still lack and don't have full voltage or can't handle the amp draw.
Let the ESC power the motor and TX and a BEC do the heavy lifting of servos. Plus it opens up options for higher voltage servos.

PileDriver 04-30-2019 08:31 PM

Every Savox servo I've owned who cause the ESC to brown out. Deff get a external BEC, like mentioned above it'll allow you to run HV servos.

Rkilkowski 04-30-2019 09:51 PM

+1 on a external bec , savox are great servos . with a castle bec you can also program it to the 6.0v the savox wants

Browneye 05-01-2019 08:37 AM

The 3ah BEC on the HW1080 will power a servo at 6 or 7.4 volts up to about 300oz/in of torque. Beyond that they can't supply enough juice.
I run a Savox 231 off a HW controller without issue - it's been in there for a year, lots of miles, and still works good. Can't say that about the DS3218 ones from China - they get sloppy and I toss them in pretty short order.

A BEC is definitely an easy way to get all the juice you need if you want to run a high-torque servo. In any case, the HW1080 is really tops for bang for bucks and just works great for any brushed crawler.

CrawlerCam10 05-13-2019 10:39 AM

So I finally got this thing working with a hobbywing 1080, but after I installed it the same thing happened, so i got a eco power servo and it ran for like 2 batteries and then it started glitching, every time I would turn the wheel it would start lurching forward, turns out I got a defective one, so I called up rpp and got it warrentied. then it ran amazing until I went up a rock hill, bounced it and stripped the idler gear and the output gear. This thing has been such a money pit.

nightcrawler48 05-13-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawlerCam10 (Post 5934413)
So I finally got this thing working with a hobbywing 1080, but after I installed it the same thing happened, so i got a eco power servo and it ran for like 2 batteries and then it started glitching, every time I would turn the wheel it would start lurching forward, turns out I got a defective one, so I called up rpp and got it warrentied. then it ran amazing until I went up a rock hill, bounced it and stripped the idler gear and the output gear. This thing has been such a money pit.

Welcome to the Axial Wraith world of RC!